Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• United : SEA-DEN-ORD-SEA on B777

Hi Everyone,

I just returned from the subject itinerary today and do plan to do a personal travelogue on it. If you have questions in the mean time, however, just let me know!

Have a Great Day,

Steve
    Steve J. Garrod

Seattle, WA

The Ship Café

Well, I guess this will be answered in the trip report, but how is domestic 777? I will be flying a domestic longhaul (ORD-OGG) and would love a description of the aircraft.
    - The baby will be back -

Comment

excited to get to read about the T7... do you happen to have some engine+wing shots on that trip ??
      anyway looking forward to it...
      Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

Originally posted by OY-KBN
        excited to get to read about the T7... do you happen to have some engine+wing shots on that trip ??
        anyway looking forward to it...
        You'll be quite disappointed in me as I really did not take any photos on this particular journey. I did take door shots, actually. I once had a great interest in civilian aircraft doors, types, operation, etc. I currently have these photos in queue for approval.

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewqueued.php?id=553871
        http://www.jetphotos.net/viewqueued.php?id=553872

I'm not sure if they'll get published as the lighting quality is quite poor. What do you think?

Originally posted by babypurin
        Well, I guess this will be answered in the trip report, but how is domestic 777? I will be flying a domestic longhaul (ORD-OGG) and would love a description of the aircraft.
        Yes I guess you're right in that I'll have to just do the report. I found it fascinating to fly aboard the 777 domestic. I've done it before but it was quite some time ago. I think that the jet had arrived NRT-SEA just before. There was a number of Japanese language material in the seat backs.
        Steve J. Garrod

Seattle, WA

The Ship Café

Comment

sorry i forgot to ask you what airline it is all about ??
          if its UA, one question, doesnt they have the 320's and 757's to cover their domestic, or did they use a 777 due to a high demand on that particular day ??, why dont they increase the ops then ????

okey, i might be asking the wrong questions, i dont know..
          sorry with all these Q's !!!
          I was just curious ..!!
          Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

Originally posted by OY-KBN
            sorry i forgot to ask you what airline it is all about ??
            if its UA, one question, doesnt they have the 320's and 757's to cover their domestic, or did they use a 777 due to a high demand on that particular day ??, why dont they increase the ops then ????

okey, i might be asking the wrong questions, i dont know..
            sorry with all these Q's !!!
            I was just curious ..!!
            He was talking about UA, but due to demand on certain routes it is not economically viable to have 4 A320/B 757 than one 777. Also, they use the 777 on international routes and to transfer them from hub to hub they use them on regular domestic flights.

Yes I guess you're right in that I'll have to just do the report. I found it fascinating to fly aboard the 777 domestic. I've done it before but it was quite some time ago. I think that the jet had arrived NRT-SEA just before. There was a number of Japanese language material in the seat backs.
            So I guess it was the international version?

Comment

Flight Review

Background : I previously have flown a UA 777 on domestic routes between ORD and SEA as well as having flown her from LHR to ORD. It has been almost two years since, however, so I was very excited to be able to check her out again. In fact, when planning this trip I selected my flights based upon their being aboard a 777 versus others.

UA 360 : SEA-DEN

Upon arriving at Sea-Tac airport, I was surprised to find that sky cap is now charging $2 per bag to check curbside. I would have normally questioned this if it had been word-of-mouth but an official UAL sign stated such as well. Upon arriving at my departure gate, I had a little bit of time so I watched an outbound UA 777 depart for Tokyo - always exciting!

Given that it had been so long since being aboard a UA 777, I felt as if it were almost like my first time again. For all of my flights I was seated toward the rear of the aircraft (at least row 36 or higher). For this first flight I was in the next-to-the-last row in a center aisle. I immediately noticed how the ceiling has a sharp slant in order to accommodate standing passengers. Many interior lines also flow very nicely and are rounded. I surmised that the jet had arrived that morning from NRT given that a lot of the literature in the seat back pockets were in Japanese and that this 777 was an "overwater".

After recently having flown an A340 internationally I was eager to gauge the 777's taxi and take-off performance. When the jet is just in taxi mode the engines seem to have a bit of a "whine" to them. I also noticed this on the return flight. When they gain acceleration, however, it diminishes. Take-off proved this immediately as we lifted off very smoothly and I noticed the threshold point at which the engines went very quiet.

The flight provided only a beverage. The personal video system ran documentaries from the Discovery Channel as well as some NBC clips including an episode of "Joey". I also enjoyed the Top 40 audio station (which alternates with soundtracks) and a sounds of Asia channel. I am also an avid fan of studying the route maps on airliners and notice that UAL now incorporates the routes of code-share carriers as well - which make for a bit of a confusing map. I'd prefer for them to be separate but I do realize budget restrictions in magazine production

There was quite a bit of turbulence on this flight. It was enough for the flight attendants to be summoned to their jump seats by the pilot. It remained windy until our approach to Denver but the 777 handled the touchdown amazingly well. I definitely rank the landing of all of my 777 flights to be exceedingly smooth. Despite my being aboard the same jet to continue to ORD, we all disembarked the jet for turnaround. Spotting a LH 747-400 at Denver International made the end of this flight particularly enjoyable.

UA 256 : DEN - ORD

Well I knew that the flights had gone way too smoothly already. Upon taking my seat (a window seat this time), it was announced that there was a brake line leak. Fortunately it seemed superficial and was remedied by walk-around maintenance. I kept stretching and looking back over my seat to see if there were empty seats and they were actually abundant toward the rear. My having settled in with my belongings and my neighbor being quite friendly detained me from making the move. It would have been only a few rows back, however, and it was to be a short flight.

Nearly 45 minutes after having boarded, we were finally cleared to depart from the gate. I can handle long flights but, for some reason, really do not care for just sitting at the gate or on the runway. I think that it's just a mental thing for me. Anyhow, much with the same performance departing Seattle, we had taken off very smoothly. The flight afforded the same audio and video schedule, of course, so I elected to watch "Joey" again. Turbulence was another factor yet again and required the flight crew to be seated at one point. One of the flight attendants chose to sprint down the aisle to get to her seat at the rear causing one to wonder just what the heck was going on!

After having that wait in Denver, I was really looking forward to a glass of wine. I reached into my wallet for the required $5 and notice that I had only $3. This is due to having to pay for sky cap in Seattle. I requested from the flight attendant that I just pay the $3 and I would have persisted if not due to our delay in Denver (I'm normally not a complainer). She was fantastic and went to first class to grab a glass for me and did not accept the $3. She stated that it was either "$5 or nothing". I can understand that given that they need to reconcile their liquor inventory but I would have even given it as a gratuity for being so nice. I was impressed.

Being from the Chicagoland originally I was looking forward to spotting familiar landmarks upon approach but it was too dark and cloudy. We landed seamlessly into O'Hare and my plane spotting began. I more particularly was gazing toward terminal 5 - international. I spotted one of my favorite carriers, SAS, at the gate with her lights flashing prepared for her flight to CPH. That polished off the flight just right.
              Steve J. Garrod

Seattle, WA

The Ship Café

Comment

They have a PTV in 777?

Comment

UA 755 : ORD-SEA

I was at Chicago O'Hare by about 6:45AM for this 8:10AM departure flight. I didn't have much time to walk gate-to-gate and plane spot, unfortunately. Given how the gate agent announced that there would only be bag meals for purchase and that "one wouldn't really want them for breakfast", I decided to grab a bite at the adjacent McDonald's. I wonder if UAL revenue analysts would appreciate the gate agents dissuading passengers from purchasing on board ..

For this flight I was in seat 42H. I mentally prepared myself for this being a slightly longer flight than the individual parts of my outbound journey. I find it peculiar that the flight crew does a manual safety demonstration versus there being a video presentation on a jet like the 777. This was done on all three flights. I still skimmed the safety card and "located the nearest exit around me". Don't ask me why after all of my flying, it's really just a peculiar nuance that I have. . . . just like having to touch the outside of the jet before I proceed over the door's threshold (crazy, huh?)

Take-off was smooth and we spent the entire journey in blue, clear skies providing nice sunshine. Given that movies were offered, however, the flight crew encouraged a more "theater atmosphere" by lowering the window shades. This flight offered two beverages, a meal for purchase, and "Biscoff" biscuits complimentary (biscoff.com)

I've always had an interest in aircraft doors, the differences between jet models, and their operation. I was intent on getting photos of the 777 doors despite my knowing their look and operation already. As soon as the flight crew cleared the aft galley to serve "breakfast", I jumped back there to get two photos of each door.

Throughout the flight I enjoyed the Top 40 audio station as well as the sounds of Asia. I particularly enjoyed Kitaro and tried to envision myself being aboard this very jet flying to Tokyo. I have yet to travel to Asia so that would have been nice. One thing that I would not like, however, is having a smack dab center seat. That is one thing about the 777 that I would truly not care for.

Flight time was less than I expected and before I knew it, we were making an approach into Seattle-Tacoma. My seat neighbor had the window shade down for the majority of the flight but I would have said something had he kept it down upon approach. I boldly leaned over to look out the window to make sure that he raised it up all the way. We made an interesting approach into Sea-Tac by circling around the city and the waterfront which was particularly enjoyable. Landing, again, was extremely smooth. I am very impressed with this on the 777. Landing into Sea-Tac on an A340 was not nearly as smooth.

Before leaving the jet I gazed over to the "S" gates where international flights depart Seattle. I saw a Northwest DC-10 preparing to leave for Amsterdam and another UA 777 having just arrived from Tokyo (in new colors). All of the jets on my itinerary had the previous color scheme.

Photo Note : I submitted my two photos of the rear doors and they were rejected. I appealed them and was advised that they were "not useful". I still do not understand that as I have seen other door shots on this site and I know that true enthusiasts appreciate the jet interiors in a wide range of capacities. Anyhow, if there is interest, I can post them within the thread.

Originally posted by pbateson
                  They have a PTV in 777?
                  Indeed! I loved it -- especially on a domestic flight.

I can't speak for all carriers operating a 777, however, but all flights I've ever taken on a UA 777 have had them.
                  Steve J. Garrod

Seattle, WA

The Ship Café

Comment

Cool! Do u listen on ch. 9?

Isnt new UAL colour arrived from NRT?

Comment

I was listening to channel 19 and 21.

The UA 777 I saw in the international terminal at Sea-Tac sported the new livery but the 777 I was on that I thought came from Tokyo, did not . . .
                      Steve J. Garrod

Seattle, WA

The Ship Café

Comment

Great Report. Too bad I'll be flying UA's domestic 777's without PTV's.

Comment

Great Report. Too bad I'll be flying UA's domestic 777's without PTV's.
                          I hadn't realized that some do not have the PTV's. Hmm.
                          Steve J. Garrod

Seattle, WA

The Ship Café

Comment

Originally posted by shipcafe
                            I hadn't realized that some do not have the PTV's. Hmm.
                            There are only a few domestic 777's, which don't have first class or PTV's.

Comment

There are only a few domestic 777's, which don't have first class or PTV's.
                              It's something I've gotten very used to aboard the last couple wide bodies I've been aboard . . . I can't imagine a long-haul flight without them !
                              Steve J. Garrod

Seattle, WA

The Ship Café

Comment

Working...
                              X