Worst Flight Experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KBOSv2
    Sounds like a fair deal to me, after all, you do realise that its not so uncommon for children in that age range to sit away from their parents. Hell, when I was that age I was flyin all over the place alone. I thought it was much more interesting than sitting next to my parents.

But you really, really, should let it go, having such a strong hate for AA because you had to sit away from your mommy and daddy (you said the people you sat next to were plenty nice anyway) is a little bit much.
    It wasn't that I had to sit away from my parents, it was that we already had seats...then they took them and said they would bump us, and then when they reasigned our seats we got nothing. It was the way it was all handled.
    - Fly United -
    My photos.

Comment

1997, Laker Airways, a 12 hour delay followed by a poor flight from MAN to MCO. I never want that experience again!!!

Squeaky
      "It's a gift...and a curse" (Adrian Monk)

Next Flights:-
      EMA-PRG Easyjet
      PRG-EMA Easyjet

Comment

Air Transat, YYZ- POS in the year 2003.
        Was choking on food, rang for service (get something to wash it down) came half hour later. Inflight service sucks, everything sucks about them.

cheers!!
        ryan
        Capt.A340-600

Its Not About Revenge:twisted: , Its About Redemption;) ...

8) The Crow: Stairway To Heaven8)

Comment

Delta Express...enough said?

Maybe, but I'll tell the story anyway:

I was thirteen years old and flying alone from FLL-JFK. My cousins who live an hour away from FLL dropped me off for my 7:00pm flight. I was delayed two hours, so we all went out for dinner. They brought me back to the airport, and when I boarded the plane at 9:00, they returned home. The plane was full, in fact, it was oversold. We began to taxi away from the gate. When we had almost arrived on the runway, we stopped and the plane sat there. Two hours later, we returned to the gate and the flight was cancelled because of technical problems. I was stranded alone in the airport very late at night.

They then booked me on a flight from PBI two day later!!!! All the seats before then were sold out.

To be fair, Delta did say sorry with a nice letter and $100 voucher that came in the mail a couple of weeks later.

One more...
          Tower Air: Athens-JFK

First, we were delayed ten hours overnight in the airport. Then we boarded the old 747 with like 3000 seats and a seat pitch of like 10 inches. The 10 hour flight back to New York was the most turbulent flight I have ever been on, and to date, the only time I have ever thrown up on a plane (it was after we had just touched downin Kennedy).
          DELTA- Don't Expect Luggage To Arrive

Comment

It would have to go to good old Royal airlines flying a B 727-200 with winglets from YEG-YYZ in the summer of 1996,we had a engine shut down near YWG and were forced to divert to YWG.It was kinda scary......
            Fly Edmonton first.Canadas gateway to the north.

Comment

My worst experence was on United. I have nothing against United, as this deley was not at all United's fault but here is the story...

5:00pm- Arrived at Atlanta Hartsfield Airport for a 7:30pm flight to Chicago. There are literally 500+ people waiting to check in for United. We make our way to the back of the line. United employees are walking around taking everybody going nonstop out of the line (it is easier to find us new flights) and we get to go to the front and check in.

5:30pm- We learn that it was warmer than usual in Chicago, and the temperature dropped suddenly, so there was very thick fog all over and they were taking too many arrivals into O'Hare. We get checked in and we are advised that we are still on our flight, now scheduled to leave at 10:30pm, even though two other United flights to Chicago have not left yet.

6:00pm- American and Delta begin cancelling Chicago flights. Since we are the last United flight, a gate agent comes up and tells my father and I that there is warm on a Regional Jet flight to Chicago and that we can get on. We follow her to the gate and she tries to print out boarding passes for us, but it turns out that we checked bags and have to stay on the flight.

10:30pm- The first United flight lands in Atlanta, and quickly leaves with the first flight. Our flight is now scheduled to depart at 2:45am.

11:45pm- United offers to put people in a hotel and cancelles the second flight. A bunch of people leave but we stay. United tells us that our plane is coming in from Denver, so we don't have weather deleys. They give us some vouchers to buy food and make another announcement that we can fly out in the morning.

1:30am- Our plane lands from Denver. Everybody who is flying to Chicago is in the gate. There are 10 people in the gate. They make no annoucement.

2:15am- We are told we can board. We board the plane but we don't move for a while. The front door was still open and the flight attendants start a movie and hand out water and pretzels.

3:45am- Atlanta has bad weather now, and it's snowing in Chicago. The front door is closed and we push back from the gate.

4:15am- We are finally in line to take off. There are some planes ahead of us though. We are taking off nine hours late.

5:00am- United flight 332 is finally airborne. We are finally in route to Chicago.

6:45am- We land 11 hours late in a snowy O'Hare. We have no gate to go to.

7:30am- A Gate is finally open. The snow stopped and we finally deplane. We were supposed to land 12 hours ago.

7:50am- There are almost 5-6 flights on every baggage claim.

9:30am- United 332 bags finally start coming out.

10:00am- We finally leave O'Hare.

United ended up giving us all a free ticket. The deleys were not their fault, but they were nice when they offered us the hotel. I have the times in my travel-book.

Next Flights:

October 14, 2006 - Airtran MDW-MSP
              October 16, 2006 - Airtran MSP-MDW

Comment

Firstly, a disclaimer -- None of this was Air Canada's fault, and I thought they handled it pretty well, considering the circumstances.

My worst flight of all time was July 14, 1985 -- Air Canada 856, YYZ - LHR. At the time, I was working for a courier company, and was flying to Heathrow from Toronto most Saturday evenings, returning to Toronto on the next flight back from Heathrow on Sunday afternoon -- usually a five hour turn-around. As I remember it, things went like this...

July 13, ~ 4:30 PM -- arrive at Pearson International, Terminal 2 to check in for flight (very early check in due to greatly increased security in the wake of the terrorist bombing of Air India 182 three weeks previously). Make it through intense security, check materials I'm couriering, and settle down to wait in departure lounge.

July 13, ~ 8:00 PM -- Around the time of the scheduled departure, it is announced that the departure of AC 856 will be delayed -- reason unspecified. This isn't particularly unusual, given the load of traffic on a Saturday evening during the summer.

July 13, ~ 9:30 PM -- The reason for the delay is announced -- someone has called in a bomb threat (!). Needless to say, with the recent bombing of AI 182, this is taken very seriously indeed. We are eventually given vouchers for food, but by that time, there isn't much still open in the departure lounge where one can get food.

At some point around this time, our aircraft (747-133 C-FTOD, Fin # 304) is towed away from the gate to a far corner of the airport

July 13, ~ 10:30 PM -- It is announced that a mobile lounge will be brought to the gate, and that passengers from our flight will be taken out somewhere to physically identify their baggage. Any baggage that is not claimed by a passenger will be sequestered in a safe area of the airport.

July 14, ~ 12:00 AM -- I manage to get a seat on the second mobile lounge heading out to the baggage and C-FTOD, both of which are on the taxiway leading to the end of (what was then) runway 6R, at the south end of the airport. The aircraft is parked some distance away, and the baggage is all lined up in neat rows on the taxiway. A quick search reveals that none of the stuff I'm couriering is out there. Bring this to the attention of the AC representative, and am told that my courier stuff is deemed particularly suspect, and is being held separately. It may not be allowed on flight at all.

July 14, ~ 1:00 AM -- Air Canada agrees to take the courier shipment, under the condition that I open up every single package to confirm that there isn't anything nasty in any of them. Spend a considerable amount of time opening up all of my stuff out on the taxiway in gentle rain. Nothing suspicious is found, and they agree to take my stuff.

July 14, ~ 3:00 AM -- After the baggage is loaded aboard, C-FTOD is brought back to the gate and we board and depart. At least there aren't any departure delays. (I guess this must have been before there were curfews at YYZ).

July 14, 2:00 PM (London Time) -- Finally arrive in London, two hours after my scheduled flight home had left. Manage to get a seat on AC 865, departing for Toronto in the evening, but with a stop in Mirabel.

July 14, 8:00 PM (London Time) -- After some departure delays, AC 865 departs for Toronto and Mirabel -- about the I would usually be landing in Toronto on the return flight.

July 15, 1:00 AM (Toronto Time) -- Finally arrive back in Toronto.

Not an experience I'm anxious to repeat, needless to say.

Martin

Comment

I flew last year with Air Paradise International on their A310 that they have leased from Singapore Airlines. Air Paradise is Bali's new airline. We flew SYD-DPS return. Leaving Sydney for Bali was a fine flight, though we were going without a passenger as new laws were made after we booked our tickets that people holding certian passports need to have a visa, or they can't go through. Irish passports were on the list, and my mum couldn't get on the plane since she spent the next day in the Indonesian Embassy trying to get one. I didn't really have any problems with the outbound flight, but we were all a bit miserable that we had to leave her behind. We departed on the monday, so she got in on the Wednesday (which was pretty damn lucky!) We had a good time in Bali, then it was time to go home. We were departing on a Friday night just before the school holidays were over, So the flight was packed solid. It took us about half an hour to find our seats and then the saftey video showed. My brother was complaining that he wanted the window seat, so I sat in between my dad and an Indonesian woman, who both had the armrests. The seats arn't that comfortable, more like sitting on foam. Then on takeoff, a woman in fronty of me kept her light. The light was bright and it was pointing in my direction. She reclined her seat, and I was wedged in between 3 people with a light shining in my eyes the whole flight. I didn't get any sleep at all, so i tryed to watch a movie on the screen, but the light was blinding me. I eventually tryed to dose off, but i had no room to even turn. Luckily nearing the end of the flight, the Indonesian woman woke up and she was very kind. She moved over to the other armrest with her son, which slept the whole way. The Flight Attendants were always like the Balinese are like, Kind and Friendly. Though I missed out on the Ice cream delivery and everybody else seemed to get one. So it wasn't the airlines fault, it was just based on comfort. Anyway, i havn't had a bad flight yet, and I hope not to get a bad one anytime soon.

Comment

Not a really horrible experience, since there was no accident involved, but my recent trip on IBERIA was pretty much a big ordeal. See my review here and on www.AirlineQuality.com. An airline to avoid if you have a choise.
                    YANNIS

Comment

mine has to be on AA.

i was scheduled to fly MWA-STL-OKC. i arrived at MWA to find out my STL-OKC flight was cancelled. grrr, so after much debating, i decided to be routed through DFW, so my new routing was MWA-STL-DFW-OKC. I flew MWA-STL, and landed. I walked to the D concourse where my STL-DFW was supossed to be. Gues what, it was moved. grrrr so i had to walk all the way to the C concourse and find the gate where my DFW flight was leaving. we are 20 minutes from boarding, and no plane at the gate. it is coming from LGA. I only have 30 minutes to change planes at DFW. So I am a bit panicked. finally the flight is now delayed for 45 more minutes. I thought there is NO WAY i will make my connection in DFW and would have to stay the night in DFW. Not going to happen. So I asked to be off this flight and routed through ORD. I coudl be routed through ORD but the ORD-OKC flight had already left. shit, shit, shit. I said what can i do?! she called the dallas reservations center and said that ther ewas one more flight to OKC leaving 5 hours later if i wanted i could be placed on that seat and as compensation she would give me seat 7F, a bulkhead seat well i couldnt complain then so I agreed. once I was confirmed I walked to the gate where it was leaving from (which of course was the last gate in the C concourse) and stayed there for 5 hours. That was boring as hell. finally i heard an announcement that our flight would be delayed for 15 minutes. WHAT?!?! NO ONE WANTS ME TO FLY NOW DO THEY?!?! finally 15 minutes later the plane landed, and we boarded the flight. i finally landed at OKC at 11:10pm. when I was supossed to be there at 6:00pm.

i was livid, and I swore id never fly AA again. but honestly I dont have much of a choice when i fly out fo MWA LMAO.

Alex
                      Stop Searching. Start Traveling. southwest.com

Comment

SFO-ORD-MSP on UA.

First we go to the gate where our 744 was wating for boarding. Well atleast, it SHOULD have been waiting. the flight was annonunced to land in 10 minutes. And then It did. But it taxied right past our terminal to the INTERNATIONAL terminal. We ended up waiting 45 minutes for it to come at our gate. Then we board. Im in buisness class and I'm looking around. Then an F/A comes on the PA and says something like "I'm sorry, but please allow 20 minutes for our pilots to arrive. They are comming in from Waterloo and it shouldn't take long." 40 minutes later 4 pilots come running up the stairs to the flightdeck. We push back and Line up for 1R. Where we wait in the line up for an additional 15 minutes. Then 2 hours and no less then 5 minutes after schedualed departure, we finally are airborne. The rest of the flight was good enough. Then we are told while on approach "There has been a fire on a moving walkway at ORD, so those of you connecting on United flights (listed several flights including mine) will have to find an alternate route to your gate. We're sorry." Shortly after we are in a holding pattern for 30 minutes. Finally we land in ORD. Over 2 and a half hours late.

Then we go to our gate using the "alternate" route, and see a 757 bound for SNA at the gate. WTF?! It seems our flight has been changed to a gate on the other side of the terminal. We get there to find an empty gate. The Gate agent annonces our flight arriving from Jacksonville is in a holding pattern. Then brings more good news 10 minutes later that it had to go around. Finally, a 732 full of pissed off passangers pulls up at the gate. If this 732 had been ontime, we wouldn't have made it. Then when boarding beings, my dads names and the other names of some other employees using free passes to fly are given a very nice message. "Your bumped." So we have to go back to the gate next to the origional one where the 752 was. When we got there a 732 was waiting. I was seated somewhere in the middle of the aircraft, with a window seat. We were then told that the pilots were having a problem with a computer in the cockpit(FMS mabey?) and would require 10 minutes to fix it. Then we finally start taxing. After being stuck in a lineup caused by bad weather that we were in for god knows how long, we were up for takeoff. Listening to Channel 9, i knew why we had been holding short for over 10 minutes. Air Force 1 was paying a visit to chicago and we had to wait for it to taxi and depart. Then we finally depart.

Then we arrived at MSP almost 4 hours and 45 minutes after I should of. After waiting 10 minutes for our gate to be avalible, we park. Heading down to the baggage claim we find out our luggage is comming on another flight. an hour later, after 3 diffrent flights arrive from ORD, our bags come.

At the time their motto was fly the friendly skies. I think we spent more time on the ground, and the stressed employees were very unfriendly. But hey, when you fly them for free, you get what you paid for.
                        sigpic
                        http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

It was Oct of '94... i was 9 years old... we booked for a flight on the Military Airlift Command of the USAF at Yokota AFB, Japan... but... we were booked as chance passengers.. our destination was Travis AFB... we had to wait for 3 days to get a flight( we were in the base for 3 days).. The third day came, we got a flight... we got on the waiting room... i saw this huge airplane sitting on the tarmac... it was so huge, it dwarfed the plane next to it.. (it was a 752, i think!).. i asked my dad what the plane was... he answered, "thats the C-5 Galaxy.." all i could think of then was, "wouldnt this plane crash coz it was too big..."

Our boarding time came... we walked for about 200 feet to the airplane where a tall staircase led to the top level at the rear of the a/c... once, we got in, the first thing i noticed were the seats that were facing the aft of the a/c... there were about 50-70 seats there... we got a seat beside a tiny window... after the door closed, an airman gave away earplugs... we were supposed to wear those during the duration of the flight... my dad said we wont wear them for a long time coz we were going to have a stop over at Busan AFB, South Korea... Then the huge a/c took off... with us facing the rear.. hehee... imagine that...

when we got to Busan AFB, we got off the plane and someone told us that this was a 5 hour stopover... whoa!!! during the 5-hours, i watched the airmen load something in our plane... i asked someone what were those... he told me those are the dead bodies of victims killed in a helicopter crash in Korea... Then it was time to board again... During the flight, i couldnt get to sleep coz i was thinking about what were carrying down below on the cargo hold... Finally after 11 long hours, we arrived at Travis AFB in CA....
                          -Zeypi / CX777 - Cathay Pacific VA Junior First Officer

Next Flights: FS2004
                          EK332 DXB - MNL B77W
                          NH001 IAD - NRT B77W
                          NH007 SFO - NRT B77W
                          NH009 JFK - NRT B77W
                          NH011 ORD - NRT B77W

Comment

Originally posted by cx777
                            It was Oct of '94... i was 9 years old... we booked for a flight on the Military Airlift Command of the USAF at Yokota AFB, Japan... but... we were booked as chance passengers.. our destination was Travis AFB... we had to wait for 3 days to get a flight( we were in the base for 3 days).. The third day came, we got a flight... we got on the waiting room... i saw this huge airplane sitting on the tarmac... it was so huge, it dwarfed the plane next to it.. (it was a 752, i think!).. i asked my dad what the plane was... he answered, "thats the C-5 Galaxy.." all i could think of then was, "wouldnt this plane crash coz it was too big..."

Our boarding time came... we walked for about 200 feet to the airplane where a tall staircase led to the top level at the rear of the a/c... once, we got in, the first thing i noticed were the seats that were facing the aft of the a/c... there were about 50-70 seats there... we got a seat beside a tiny window... after the door closed, an airman gave away earplugs... we were supposed to wear those during the duration of the flight... my dad said we wont wear them for a long time coz we were going to have a stop over at Busan AFB, South Korea... Then the huge a/c took off... with us facing the rear.. hehee... imagine that...

when we got to Busan AFB, we got off the plane and someone told us that this was a 5 hour stopover... whoa!!! during the 5-hours, i watched the airmen load something in our plane... i asked someone what were those... he told me those are the dead bodies of victims killed in a helicopter crash in Korea... Then it was time to board again... During the flight, i couldnt get to sleep coz i was thinking about what were carrying down below on the cargo hold... Finally after 11 long hours, we arrived at Travis AFB in CA....
                            wow bodies on the flight...that'd have to be scarry, I'd freak out. My moms boss was on a PHX-SFO flight where a 101 y/o on his way to a retirement home here in millbrae died suddenly, and was seated in the row infront of her boss. I can only imagine what thats like.
                            sigpic
                            http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

Originally posted by cx777

I can't believe you flew on a C5! Damn that must have been awesome...
                              Click below.

[http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=3669]

Comment

actually it was just back here during spring break in late march:

So we arrive at FLL airport and go to check in to our flight for continental connection flight to tampa bay.(cant believe my dad got this flights for us)So the check in in went well, and they told use we had to get our bags in tampa and go back to airtran ticketcounter to check our bags back in for our last leg to MKE. It said on our tickets that we would have 4 hours in tpa so that gave us plenty of time. Little did we know we'd need more time than that. So we get to our gate and it shows the flight is delayed 1 hour due to weather.(there was not a cloud in the sky as far as i could see)So its time for the flight to depart and they annoucce its delayed another 2 hours! Now we got a little worried but the people at the gate told my mom to ask the ramp workers in tampa to directly transfer our luggage.(I knew they were lying)So the plane arrived at the gate and we boarded. It was a beech 1900 in the gulfstream livery. We enter and I could not believe how small it was! We had to last row which was 3 seats across. Before departure the captain came down and told use to move forward because of to much weight in the rear.(this kinda worried my mom). the seets were ripped and so were the magazines. So we taxied and took off and the whole time the plane was rocking back and forth with turbulence. There even a point where i heard beeps coming from the cockpit.So we landing very roughly. When we got out the aircraft it was 3:15, the exact time our flight to milwaukee left. The ramp workers told use the people in FLL lied about our bagage.(what a suprise)So we got our luggage and went to the airtran ticket counters and found out that the flight to mke was delayed. Possibly the only high point on this trip. So we had the last 3 spots on the aircraft which was a 717 in the eltons john livery. We got to the screeneing area and what do you know...they put use in selective screening! Well that did not take to long so when we got to the gate right in time. So we boared the aircraft and my mom and brother had first class while I was in the back rows of the plane! So we clicmbed out smootly and then we hit bad turbulence as the captain told the flighty attenddants to sit down. From then on it was all ok.

Midwest Airlines - The Best Care In The Air

Comment

Working...
                                X