To Ottawa w/lots of pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To Ottawa w/lots of pics

This is the trip report from when I went to Ottawa back on the 3rd of April.

Air Canada Flt #615
    Departure time: 7:20AM (10 minutes early)
    Arrival time: 8:05
    Destination: YUL through YHZ
    Aircraft: A319
    Seat: 16D and 16E

My Father and I set out for a day trip in Ottawa. We left home at 6:00AM. Although this day being daylight savings time, our car clock on the Honda was set wrong. The short 20 minute trip down the dark Trans-Canada highway.

We arrived at the airport and checked nothing in to baggage as what was only with me was the Camera bag. There were HUGE line ups at the check-in counters. MASIVE line ups. Thank god I didn’t check any bags in and thank god for express check-in kiosks. There were still Jetsgo banners at the check-in counters. Anyway we went through security and went to the gate, the old EPA gates.

Unfortunately there was a Westjet flight boarding and the gate agents would ring the PA 3 times then act stupid on it. “BING BING BING!!! Alright happy guests! We are now boarding to TORONTO!!! Calling passengers Mr. and Mrs.X come on up the price is right!” This got annoying. My father told me that when he worked in baggage claim that they would be worse and have these elongated PA use, hogging them and eventually getting into a “PA system war” with Jetsgo.

I sat down in the emergency row. I had the window seat due to the fact that there wasn’t any seat next to me. The Captain advised us take-off would be bumpy and that we were going to cruse at FL370 instead of FL350. We taxied out to runway 15, the short runway, and we left Halifax behind. During taxi, I saw the Kids Horizons 319.

No sooner we got airborne and had our snack or pretzels and a drink. I asked for Ginger Ale.

We Landed in Montreal, my favorite airport next to YVR, and had surprisingly no turbulence through out the entire flight.

Air Canada Jazz Flt #8931
    Dep time:8:50AM
    Arrival time: 9:20AM
    Destination: YOW through YUL
    Aircraft: Dash-8-100
    Seat: 1C and 1D

This would be the first time I flew on a turbo prop when I would be consciously aware, the other times where when I was younger like 3 and 4. Not much can be said about this 27 minute hell trip. It was bumpy, annoying, sickening, and not to enjoyable. We were served orange juice and cookies. On take off, the prop spun so fast it turned “invisible”, I kind of was scared.

It go blurry because of the guy that’s looking at me. I kinda freaked him out and he freaked me out.

My view, another emergency exit row. On the push, a Air Creebec Dash-8 tow bar got stuck and wouldn’t come off.

We landed in Ottawa without flare. Here, I tried to get a picture of “The Big yellow Taxi” 727-200.
    The motion made my dad feel sick, but he didn’t throw up. He looked sick and sweated that the flight attendant gave him napkins without request.

A neighboring Dash-8-300.

Getting off our plane.

We drove around Ottawa and went places like the museum and saw the nose section of the Avro Arrow. Made me sad, terrible. Anyway we headed back to the airport to go home. We waited and waited to find out all flights have been cancelled to Halifax after they were cancelled to Toronto due to bad weather. Gate 16 is a sweet place to watch the planes land; I must have seen at least 15 planes land. So we got a taxi and went to the airport hotel and watched TV and had supper.

We got booked on the next flight out and went to the airport at 10AM.

Air Canada Flt #642
    Dep time:11:45AM
    Arrival:2:00PM
    Destination: YHZ though YOW
    Aircraft: Airbus A319 TCA Classic Livery
    Seat: 4D and 4F

We arrived back at gate 15 and 10. We saw many planes taxi and many people arrive from the flights being cancelled yesterday. Some woman next to us asked us “Is that Air Canada?” when the classic TCA livery taxied in. We talked to her and her sister and she told us how Canjet had delayed there flight since 7 and wouldn’t giver her money back, instead airline credit. It was a fun time sitting and talking to her, she was going to Halifax because her sister was on her deathbed.

Check it out will! Its your favorite!

Our plane at the gate.

This was my Fathers Birthday on the 4th, and this plane, and the seats would be a “Birthday present” as he says.

My awesome view.

We taxied out to the runway. The runway runs along the airport and we taxied by a first air 727. The 727 was sitting engineless. The air stairs retracted and the tail being shredded up. Doors open, overwing exits missing, no seats, nothing. Just empty. Alone.

We got airborne and were served dinner. I had a shredded chicken sandwich with ginger ale. FYI im drinking it now. We had our entertainment playing while we ate.

What do you think there reporting on the LCD?

We started to descend into Halifax. We flew along the runway 24 direction. I spotted my friends cottage and my uncles farm and the rock quarry. We touched down, reversers open and the woosh of air hitting the fuselage it increased and I had a view of the reversers and the inner workings. We taxied along and past my fathers work. An Antonov AN-24RV was there. There is a pic of it departing on a.net.
    Another Antonov takes off from runway 24. - Photo taken at Halifax - Robert L Stanfield International (YHZ / CYHZ) in Nova Scotia, Canada on April 5, 2005.

That is the end. Thanks for reading!

PS, does anyone want to see the pics I took while in Ottawa?
    -Kevin

Nice report! I can guess from whom you got your aviation obsession, I suppose? The photos are great by the way, I have really fallen in love with Air Canada's seats I'm sorry to hear your turboprop ride wasn't so smooth though, I would LOVE to ride one myself someday... seeing your ottawa pics would be great too! Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Originally posted by jannichan
      Nice report! I can guess from whom you got your aviation obsession, I suppose? The photos are great by the way, I have really fallen in love with Air Canada's seats I'm sorry to hear your turboprop ride wasn't so smooth though, I would LOVE to ride one myself someday... seeing your ottawa pics would be great too! Thanks for sharing!
      yeah like some people parents influence aviation.

AC seats are verry comfortable and thick

For a turbo prop flight, it all depends on the weather of the day.
      -Kevin

Comment

Great report Kevin I love those DHC-8's Sounds like you had fun. Oh, and great pics
        You've got to try to find what's right before your eyes-Finger Eleven

Comment

You will have to try a Dash-8 flight again. Our family takes them regularly up to Sudbury (YSB) to my in-laws. The 50 minute flight beats 5 to 6 hours of driving. The kids love the Dash-8 as a) they get to walk on the Ramp and b) we always fly at a low altitute so you can see the cottages, the traffic and if your are lucky a moose or two.

Comment

Originally posted by ptbodale
            You will have to try a Dash-8 flight again. Our family takes them regularly up to Sudbury (YSB) to my in-laws. The 50 minute flight beats 5 to 6 hours of driving. The kids love the Dash-8 as a) they get to walk on the Ramp and b) we always fly at a low altitute so you can see the cottages, the traffic and if your are lucky a moose or two.
            I love the Dash-8 and 1900Ds out of YYZ. I'd take them over a RJ anyday

Comment

Originally posted by ptbodale
              I will fly one again. Im gonna try to buzz over to PEI in the fall. My Nanny says its the best flight shes had for scenery.
              -Kevin

Comment

Working...
              X