IRCRAFT : B777-200 ER
    REG: HZ-AKB
    SCHED DEP: 18:15
    ACTUAL DEP:18:13
    SCHED ARR: 19:00
    ACTUAL ARR:18:55
    TIME TAKEN:1:20 MINS(APPROX).

I arrived at DXB airport at 16:10, the counters of SV were open,
    No crowds at all, just a few people. After that I went to a window to see the tarmac.
    I saw an EK A330 taxi away , Jordan air, Korean Air & Oman Air parked here and there. A
    fter immigration
    process finished which was no problem and easy I got time to take a small round in the airport
    and watch different airlines jets parked on the terminal building, Such as Saudia B777,
    Srilanka A340-300 & EK B777, Other different a/c were taxiing, departing and landing at
    DXB. The new terminal blocked the view of the runway from the immigration building so u have
    to move
    to terminal building to watch departures and landings on the runway. At 17:10 I felt too hungry
    because I didnt have lunch in the afternoon( because of exams )so I went to the food court.
    I chose an Arabic restaurant which was the only one without lines and got one sandwich and
    vimto drink. It was delicious.
    The view of
    the tarmac from food court was very nice specially of Saudia B777 and SriLankan A340.. At 17:30
    the
    announcement for SV555 started then we boarded aircraft at 17:45. Doors were closed at 18:11 and
    the announcement started explaining the flight details and emergency instructions. The plane
    pushed back at 18:13 and taxied to active runway 30L for departure under command of Capt
    something like Kiko......honestly!
    During taxi DAS Cargo DC10 passed us because it started taxi before us so
    he took off before us. Before entering the runway there was the usual "Please all Flight
    Attendants,be seated for takeoff", Our Capt. Increased the throttle before entering the runway
    then with full power of the GE90's we started climbing, the time at rotation was 18:30, After
    takeoff we took
    slight small turn to left side. Our altitude during the flight was 38000 feet. The route was
    Dubai – pass by Qatar – On top of Bahrain then turning to enter Saudi airspace with pass through
    Dammam and Jubail heading to Riyadh. The flight was bit turbulent after takeoff and when we
    reached
    near Qatar air space.

Dinner was served after 25 min of flight and it was plain rice with meat, vegetables
    or chicken with apple juice and water.as usual, after dinner they served tea and coffee and the
    sky sales serivce commenced.

At 18:20 the plane has started decent for RUH with couple of turns on both sides. Gear down
    then flaps down and very slight application of spoilers. Finally we cleared to land on runway
    33R, which is runs alongside the terminal...actually all the runways do. The
    landing was quite smooth at 18:55 (KSA time) then the captain used full reversers to slow
    down in addition to full spoilers. we entered the parking area from third taxi way heading to
    Saudia international terminal. We parked at gate 25. The climate was clear in both Dubai and
    Riyadh, The weather was hot (40c) in both cities.
    At RUH I passed passport control quickly but the luggage came 25 minutes late ?????!!!!!!!!
    very very poor Riyadh Airport ground service.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    posted by SaudiFlite on behalf of Azooz.
    Administrator Virtual PIA
    www.vpia.com
    Administrator Saudia Virtual
    www.saudia-va.com

Great report!

25 minutes late for the luggage???

Comment

Originally posted by pbateson
      Great report!

25 minutes late for the luggage???
      25 minutes might seem a bit long, but at some airports where help is scarce and planes are parked far away from the baggage claims, it isn't uncommon to wait in the upwards of 20+ minutes just for the bags to start coming out, let alone if your bag is all the way in the back of the plane.
      - The baby will be back -

Comment

holy smoke... they use a 772 for a 1hr20min flight??? What was the load like? Because that seems like an awful big plane for such a small flight...

Sorry about the luggage though. I had to wait 1 hr for mine once, I don't know what exactly went on, but I know how you feel.

Comment

JANNICHAN, it's very commom for Middle Eastern airlines to use wide-bodies like B777s, A340s, A330s on short hops within the region. This is very similar to operations in South East Asia. In the ME airlines use large jets but low frequency as opposed to small aircraft, high frequency services in Europe/North America. I guess its to do with restrictive bilateral agreements.

SaudiFlight, nice report

Comment

thanks very much for your replies.
            Load was ... umm medium well .... most of the seats after door 3 were empty.
            Saudia uses the 772 because the M90 is too small for such flights, though it does do DXB sometimes, and the Airbuses are confined to domestic services.3 have already been retired.I doubt I will fly one again....
            :'( (an airbus that is)
            luggage....25 minutes is unacceptable....on the airports that dont have jetways, like Jeddah and Madinah the luggage is always out before you are....RUH has jet ways, even then the luggage is out before you are. infact when you get to the lounge....the luggage from the flight that has just parked at the ramp is coming in.....its real quick....even 5 minutes is unacceptable.
            Oh guys,I am flying a 747 classic (hopefully a 168 - again) on 6 JUN.....will post the report plus pix.
            Any part of the 741 you want to see?tell me so I can post a pic here......
            By the way, at Lahore(Pakistan) we used to wait FOR 2 HOURS for luggage....until 2002....................
            www.vpia.com
            www.saudia-va.com

Comment

SaudiFlight, the A300 also fly to KRT

Comment

not as far as I know.
                I only see 777's doing that route.
                Have you seen an A300 at KRT?
                www.vpia.com
                www.saudia-va.com

Comment

hmmm, funny that cos when I check the schedule it shows that the 4x weekly SV450/453 and SV451/452 to/from JED and 3x weekly SV458/459 from/to RUH are all with A300s. And to be honest for as long as I can remember this service has been with the A300...

Comment

hmmm I saw 777's doing that a couple of months back....changed perhaps...
                    God I will miss the A300!
                    www.vpia.com
                    www.saudia-va.com

Comment

SaudiFlite, would you happen to know why SV have scaled down their flights on the JED-CAI route. While MS have gradually increased their services on the route to 3x daily (year-round), SV have reduced them from 3 to 2x daily compared to summer 2004. Any reason. As one of the bigger markets in the region its a shame to see SV reduce their flights.

p.s. I have not considered the flights during Eid, those extra services during the peak summer period, teacher flights, hajj flights, etc, I'm considering the 'normal' services.

Comment

Nice report, wish it was more detailed, I too flew an SV 777 for the first time last year Karachi-Jeddah Y class round trip, and it was really roomy, the airline was quite good over all which was a pleasent surprise, especially their wide variety of IFE, food however was a bit disappointing, on the return leg we were seated in J class minus the service, very cushy seating, will definitely consider flying them again.

Review here http://www.jetphotos.net/forums/showthread.php?t=23906

Comment

Nice report. I always wanted to try Saudi Air but that is never gona happen. Nothing against SA, I am just Jewish

Comment

Nice to hear about one of the airlines that fewer of us Americans get a chance to fly on. Would love to fly on them but I can't really think of an instance where I would travel to Saudi Arabia, at least in the near future.
                            Fly Raleigh-Durham International, with direct flights on Air Canada, AirTran, American Airlines, American Eagle, America West, Continental Airlines, Continental Express, Delta Airlines, Delta Connection, jetBlue, Northwest Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United Express and US Airways to:

ATL, AUS, BWI, BOS, CHS, CLT, MDW, ORD, CVG, CLE, DFW, DTW, FLL, BDL, HOU, IND, LAS, LAX, LGW, MEM, MIA, MSP, BNA, EWR, MSY, JFK, LGA, ORF, MCO, PHL, PHX, PIT, STL, SLC, TPA, YYZ, DCA and IAD.

Comment

I dont know about CAI, probably the visa thingy...
                              You people dont know what you are missing...747 classics...aaaaaah!
                              expoITHscohen, thanks for your comment.....try SV some time if possible...
                              herpa2003, try KSA during the summer....try the northern areas...really beautiful during the summer, not many people......
                              www.vpia.com
                              www.saudia-va.com

Comment

Working...
                              X