Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How is Northwest these days?

Hi,

This will be my first time on NW since July 2001. Since then, all my intercontinental travel plans have been filled with airlines like DL, AF, SQ, etc. I am flying:

Atlanta-Detroit (ATL-DTW) DC-9-50
    Detroit-Amsterdam (DTW-AMS) A330-300
    Amsterdam-Mumbai (AMS-BOM) DC-10-30

I've flown the DC-10 and DC-9 numerous times, but I believe this will be my first time on an A330. How can one compare it to a B772/773? Or a B763ER? I am aware NW has AVOD PTVs on their A333s, but I've heard that their A333s are somewhat frequently replaced by DC-10s (which is something that would upset me since I want a good mix of aircraft).

Have they changed greatly since July 2001? I flew the same route back them, except ATL-AMS-BOM instead. ATL-AMS was KLM too .

EDIT: This will also be my first time going through NW's World Gateway in DTW. Is it better or worse than Minneapolis (MSP) or Amsterdam? I've heard good and bad things about it...

DTW is awesome been through several times since its opened. All the A330/D10's, 744 leave from the west side of the terminal and generally in the middle of the terminal. The DC9's could park just about anywhere. Just about all the commuters will be over in the other smaller terminal just to the west of the new one. Also the windows are damn near impossible to get a good shot from with a camera. They have some wierd film on them.

Plane wise. I guess the A330 have some new type of IFE but overall they are all greyhounds in the sky.

Watch out for all those old FA's discussed in a different thread!

Comment

For an unbiased opinion on NW I would definately ask Chris

Comment

Originally posted by screaming_emu

Thanks Chief

Anyway, the AVOD includes several things, such as on-demand movies, email, instant messaging, global map (you can explore the whole world) several music channels, which you can also select the songs you want to listen to in put them all in a jukebox. Games, you can even play other people on the plane.

As for the DC-10, just your basic old school type of flying, a meal, some movies, and thats about it.

The DC-9 flight will likely have a BOB snack box and free soda.

World Gateway in Detroit is awesome, but to be honest, I like both MSP and DTW.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisburns

The DC-9 flight will likely have a BOB snack box and free soda.
          bomb on board?

Comment

Thanks Chief

Anyway, the AVOD includes several things, such as on-demand movies, email, instant messaging, global map (you can explore the whole world) several music channels, which you can also select the songs you want to listen to in put them all in a jukebox. Games, you can even play other people on the plane.
            Do the A330s have nosewheel cameras or anything like that?

Nice to know there's always place for humor on here...

Comment

Originally posted by ATLcenter
              Do the A330s have nosewheel cameras or anything like that?

Nice to know there's always place for humor on here...
              There are no cameras around the aircraft, and typically if there were, no US airline would permit their use to passengers after the AA crash at ORD.

Comment

There are no cameras around the aircraft, and typically if there were, no US airline would permit their use to passengers after the AA crash at ORD.
                I haven't studied much about that accident, but how are the two related?

Comment

I haven't studied much about that accident, but how are the two related?
                  I guess the passengers wouldn't want to see the engine seperate from the wing while watching the tail-mounted camera...
                  Fly Raleigh-Durham International, with direct flights on Air Canada, AirTran, American Airlines, American Eagle, America West, Continental Airlines, Continental Express, Delta Airlines, Delta Connection, jetBlue, Northwest Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United Express and US Airways to:

ATL, AUS, BWI, BOS, CHS, CLT, MDW, ORD, CVG, CLE, DFW, DTW, FLL, BDL, HOU, IND, LAS, LAX, LGW, MEM, MIA, MSP, BNA, EWR, MSY, JFK, LGA, ORF, MCO, PHL, PHX, PIT, STL, SLC, TPA, YYZ, DCA and IAD.

Comment

Originally posted by herpa2003
                    I guess the passengers wouldn't want to see the engine seperate from the wing while watching the tail-mounted camera...
                    If that's really the case, wouldn't it be more helpful for the NTSB/FAA, especially if the images are stored somewhere in a 15 minute loop? (somewhat like the FDR, but for video instead of audio)?

Comment

Originally posted by herpa2003
                      eh, not seeing it doesn't mean its not happening. Either way they're gonna be screaming the whole way down, I'd rather know why.

Comment

The reason, is at the time AA had cameras in the cockpit that you could watch exactly what all was going, on, so unfortunately, some people were able to watch all the sirens in the panic right before the plane rolled, and they effectively saw themselves get driven right into the ground.

Comment

The reason, is at the time AA had cameras in the cockpit that you could watch exactly what all was going, on, so unfortunately, some people were able to watch all the sirens in the panic right before the plane rolled, and they effectively saw themselves get driven right into the ground.
                          never heard about this before ..having a cam on the cockpit ..a hidden camera maybe ? (j/k) thats must be a biased to see all the lights from that cockpit ..
                          Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

Working...
                          X