Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Zealand's Twin: Alaska 2005 (56k warn)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Zealand's Twin: Alaska 2005 (56k warn)

Hello & welcome to my Alaska trip report! This year we decided to go on a cruise to Alaska, so the day after school got out we went. We were booked on a 15-day land & sea combination that would take us up through the inside passage, starting in Vancouver & covering Ketchikan, Skagway, Juneau, Anchorage, and Fairbanks. This was our first cruise and first time in Alaska, and the reason I titled the thread as I did was because I was amazed at how much AK reminded me of New Zealand.

Our flight routing wasn't our choice, so naturally we had lots of connections. I've also included material from the scenic flights we took (even one up to the Arctic Circle), so make yourself comfortable.

Let the mayhem begin!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Alaska Airlines #719
    27 May 2005
    PHX-PDX
    Boeing 737-700

Least to say, it was an early morning. We were up before five to make the 0700 departure. We had a beautiful Phoenix sunrise and a very stressful checkin & security screening. IMO of all the places I've traveled, PHX's TSA people have been the least respectful. I can imagine how nerve-racking it would be to screen thousands of people everyday, but I wanted to slap this guy. After going through the metal detector four times, making me put my watch through the x-ray machine, and dropping my bag with my 350D & 70-200mm L-glass lens in it, I was fed up. Wonderful way to start a morning. :shakehead:

But we finally made it to gate 12 & I barely had a chance to grab a quick breakfast before boarding started at 0630. The AS cabin crew were pretty much the only ones in the terminal & did a nice job of getting the pax on the plane quickly for an on-time departure of our first of two legs into Vancouver. This was my first flight with AS, & so far so good.

We took off on 9L for a northwest departure. I was in 10F, right by the engine & sandwiched between the wall & some guy I didn't know- not very comfortable when you're 6'4". The seats were leather though, which was nice.

We were due to arrive in PDX at 0937 & I was enjoying the flight. They came around with Seattle's Best Coffee & muffin loafs shortly after departure, & I dozed off a few times. The cabin was very warm though- I woke up sweating.

After a scenic and green descent into PDX, we flew over the river & landed on time. Portland is a beautiful city. We didn't get much relief from the PHX heat as we thought we would- they were due to hit 92 today. Luckily we'd be inside. PDX's airport is pretty nice- looks a lot better than PHX....

------------------------------------------------------
    Horizon Air #2190
    27 May 2005
    PDX-YVR
    Bombardier Q200 (Dash

Our next flight was a short hour-hop to Vancouver from Portland. After proceeding all the way to the opposite end of the airport to the regional terminal, I relaxed & read The Journal while waiting for our 1312 departure. This would be my first Horizon Air & Dash8 flight (first commercial turboprop flight, for that matter).

We walked out through Door B & the sweet smell of jetfuel & the whine of aircraft engines was a welcome relief. After walking up the stairs and ducking to make it to my seat in the back bench, I didn't see the exit sign hanging from the ceiling. Oops! This was my favorite part of the safety card:

Unfortunately, my window was either fogged from cleaning or ice or whatever, so I didn't get any great pics- could barely see outside. When the pilot throttled up, the whole airplane started to shake. Our t/o roll was relatively short, & we seemed to climb pretty fast. About halfway through the flight we passed over Seattle & beverages came around. Horizon carries a complimentary montly wine and beer, usually from one of the destinations they fly to.

We had a soft landing in Vancouver & immigration went surprisingly fast. We were only there for a day before our ship departed, so they didn't give us much hassle. A thirty minute drive into downtown brought us to our bayside hotel. First day of hectic travel completed- hooray!

----------------------------------------------------------------
    The 28th of May was the day! We got bussed from our hotel to the Coral Princess. We had to go through emigration & security, and this time the "migration" process was not as fast as at YVR. But we finally made it aboard.

For those of you who have been on cruises before, you can relate when I say you get pampered the whole way. Food is available 24/7 (no joke) & it's definately the way to go. But back to the aviation aspect...
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    One of our first stops was Ketchikan. Here, we took a Beaver on a seaplane tour & landed out on a lake. Our pilot had been flying Beavers for a good 25 years, and he set her down so soft on the lake I didn't even realize the floats were on the water & I was like "geez this thing doesn't stall!" . I mean absolutely nothing- if it was an Airbus it probably wouldn't let you engage the reverse thrust lol. Anyways, they're great aircraft- first flight in one of them too & I want one now. Unfortunately, I asked & it'll cost you about $1million USD after checks & papers to get one. Tour was done by Taquan Air, a charter/tour operator.

Aircraft was very well kept & had some updated digital avionics that really help out with the Alaskan weather he said. Gee those Beavers are loud- Pratt & Whitney all the way!

Next stop was Juneau. Here we took a helicopter up to the Mendenhall Glacier & walked around on it- really cool! While at the airport, one of AS's 732combi's rolled in. They keep the combis pretty busy- we saw one at almost every airport we stopped at. They're outfitted with rear-airstairs so pax can board when there's cargo in the front.

Our tour was done by Northstar Trekking, and we flew up in a Eurocopter AS-350 A-Star helicopter. Good choppers- fast ones, too.

While we were up there we drank 100% pure authentic glacier water. Tastes SO good!

Better view of the ship that I did not want to get off of taken from a tram that goes up the side of the mountain to a wildlife center.
    Next was Skagway, where we took another A-Star up to a glacier but this time went dog mushing. Mushers bring their dogs up there to train them & get used to strangers. The dog camp had around 300 dogs & everything has to be brought in by helicopter. Mushing is a lot harder than it looks- we weren't even going half the speed as they would in a race and I was holding on for dear life. Tour was operated by TEMSCO helicopters, who had a really nice base right next to the water & cruise terminals. They had at least seven A-Stars in a constant cycle- very well-run gig. Out of all the helicopter companies, they were my favorite.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
    Wow this is getting long... Ok- in Whittier we got off the ship for the last time & went up to lodges in Denali & McKinley before heading to Anchorage & Fairbanks. While we were at the lodge in Denali, we took a Cessna 185 and landed on Mt. McKinley in an area known as "the Ampitheater," right next to Ruth Glacier. It was a little cramped with five of us in the plane, and flying out of a really short strip in Healy was kinda exhilarating as well. But we survived. My first ski landing!

-------------------------------------------------------------------
    I've been to the Arctic Circle. When we arrived in Fairbanks, we took a Piper Navajo "past the line" and into Coldfoot and Wiseman. We flew into a gravel strip in Coldfoot. The Arctic (at least where we were, just past the line) wasn't what you'd expect- there's still trees and mosquitos (much to our dismay), and people actually live there! :wow: Not many though- Wiseman's population is 17. Winters get to at least 60 below (F), 100 below with windchill, we were told (Alec- how cold does it get in Haines?).

-------------------------------------------------------------------
    And now we're finally at the beginning of the end- back to PHX we go!

Alaska Airlines #102
    9 June 2005
    FAI-ANC
    Boeing 737-400 (N791AS- Tinkerbell!)

Little did we know that our 734 would be AS's newest Disney theme plane with Tinkerbell on the side. Service on this flight was great, & everything just flowed- I love it when things flow, don't you?

Tinkerbell kicks up some dust.

Off to Anchorage we go!

We were a few minutes late into Anchorage, but a neat approach over the river complete with vapor trails and 'clouds over the wings' (I forget what the technical term is) made up for it. ANC is a very busy cargo base since it's so close to the orient. JAL Cargo, UPS, Evergreen, Cathay Cargo, China Cargo, everyone was there. Very busy airport. As we deplaned, they played Disney music like they did when we boarded- it's the small things that make flights fun.
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Alaska Airlines #110
    9 June 2005
    ANC-PDX
    McDonnell Douglas MD-80 (N944AS)

Our second of three legs. I love M80s- so quite up front! Not much to report other than a really nice approach and landing into PDX. All of our three flights going back home were late (lucky for us because some of our connections were VERY close). We took off at 1421 for the three hour flight & made it to PDX in time for our now 2035 departure to PHX. I was thankful to get out of my window seat- the guy next to us didn't get up once to use the lav & slept the whole way. That's about it lol (I'm getting tired- can you tell?).

-------------------------------------------------------------
    Alaska Airlines #710
    9 June 2005
    PDX-PHX
    McDonnell Douglas MD-80 (N969AS)

Almost home! This was my favorite flight of the trip because we had an awesome cabin crew. They were all having fun together, which means all us pax are having fun. Our section f/a was making jokes during the safety briefing- she missed the buckle when she was demonstrating how to fasten the seatbelts- you had to be there. Shortly after our delayed 2035 departure, warm oatmeal rasin cookies were passed out. Me & my bro got two- we ARE loved!

On this flight I finally ventured to the back of the M80 to see how noisy it really is back there since everyone's always talking about it (I've never sat aft of the wing on any of my M80 flights). So yes, I found out that it IS noisy. I still think the 732s are noisier though- like a constant roar compared to the M80's whirring-generatorish sound.

Didn't take any pics b/c by now it was dark plus I took the aisle seat instead of window (I had had enough windows for this trip!). Nice christmas-light approach into Phoenix. Could tell it was probably a f/o landing though- wings were banking quite a bit on final . Taxi was very long since I think they're doing construction on the west crossover, so we had to backtrack along 26 and go all the way around the airport to get to the gate.

So this completes my adventure to the Last Frontier. Wonderful trip and quite a unique experience. Sure miss the 60-70 degree weather. Thanks for taking the time to read & I hope you enjoyed it. Comments appreciated.

Happy contrails,
    Justin
    Click below.

[http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=3669]

Great report, looking forward to the rest
    You've got to try to find what's right before your eyes-Finger Eleven

Comment

OK- all done!
      Click below.

Comment

Great Report! I've always wanted to go to Alaska.
        - The baby will be back -

Comment

Great Report!

I agree, the PHX screeners are disrespectful. I went through Terminal Four yesterday and they were very snippy and yelling at passengers.

I love the pictures though. Alaska is on my list of places to see.

Next Flights:

October 14, 2006 - Airtran MDW-MSP
          October 16, 2006 - Airtran MSP-MDW

Comment

Great report I am glad you enjoyed AS/QX and AK. Where are the pics of Haines when you stopped Also, how was Glacier Point? As for the temps, we have been having 70 degree temps lately, in the winter it never really gets below 0 without windchill. Next time come visit me Haines, anybody for that matter, come to Haines. I hope you didnt walk in the middle of the road like all the other dumb tourists in town right now. What a mess.

Comment

Haha ok here's one- you can barely see Haines lol. We were in that Chillkat boat that goes like 35-40 knots so I didn't have a chance to go outside w/ my telephoto lens & get a better one.

Glacier Point was beautiful. That's where we were first attacked by Alaskan mosquitos though. Yeah- I couldn't believe how many tourist places there are in the cities! It was terrible- one after another down the streets & they all carry the same things!
              Click below.

Comment

wow,, i love the report , definetly this years best report i have ever read ....
                Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

Originally posted by NOTAR520AC
                  Haha ok here's one- you can barely see Haines lol. We were in that Chillkat boat that goes like 35-40 knots so I didn't have a chance to go outside w/ my telephoto lens & get a better one.

Glacier Point was beautiful. That's where we were first attacked by Alaskan mosquitos though. Yeah- I couldn't believe how many tourist places there are in the cities! It was terrible- one after another down the streets & they all carry the same things!
                  lol, mosquitos are bad, but horseflies are worse Skagway is run on tourism, in the summer there are over 1000 people living there, and its drops to about 500 or so in the winter. If you want to get away from tourist shops, come to Haines, we only have about 3

Comment

Hands down, the best report I have ever read. Great job!
                    Fly Raleigh-Durham International, with direct flights on Air Canada, AirTran, American Airlines, American Eagle, America West, Continental Airlines, Continental Express, Delta Airlines, Delta Connection, jetBlue, Northwest Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United Express and US Airways to:

ATL, AUS, BWI, BOS, CHS, CLT, MDW, ORD, CVG, CLE, DFW, DTW, FLL, BDL, HOU, IND, LAS, LAX, LGW, MEM, MIA, MSP, BNA, EWR, MSY, JFK, LGA, ORF, MCO, PHL, PHX, PIT, STL, SLC, TPA, YYZ, DCA and IAD.

Comment

I absolutely agree, you certainly do have one of the best TR Justin, I will tyr and beat that when I fly out to PHX!! on Southwest that is,, ya'll making me dread the securities lol. and justint CHECK UR PM!! GOOD LORD oh and E-MAIL MIGHT HELP! I need to make plans!! lol
                      Alex
                      Stop Searching. Start Traveling. southwest.com

Comment

Wow thanks guys- that means a lot to me. Glad you all liked it.
                        Click below.

Comment

Wow thanks guys- that means a lot to me. Glad you all liked it.
                          Yous welcome

It was a great report Jdawg lol. and the world IS saved MERCY! MERCY!! You replied to my email haha

Alex

Comment

Originally posted by AA_MD-80@STL

It was a great report Jdawg lol. and the world IS saved MERCY! MERCY!! You replied to my email haha

Alex
                            Patience, young grasshopper...
                            Click below.

Comment

Patience, young grasshopper...
                              this grasshoper is ready to FLY...FLY...FLY!!!

Alex

Comment

Working...
                              X