August 2002: BOM-CDG-ATL-OKC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• August 2002: BOM-CDG-ATL-OKC

Here's my report for the trip back to OKC from BOM after staying in Mumbai for three months. If you would like to, read my report for the flights from OKC-BOM.

DL 119.
    Date: August 18th, 2002.
    Aircraft: MD 11.
    Sched dep: 1:50a.m.
    Actual dep: 2:30a.m.
    Sched arr: 8:25a.m.
    Actual arr: 7:40a.m.
    Seat: 8F.
    Dep weather: 83 F, light W winds, clear skies.
    Arr weather: 50 F, overcast, developing showers. Wind W at 10 mph.

Nice end to the day and an awesome beginning to our journey. On the day of our flight back to OKC, one of my freinds who works for DL in Mumbai said that we could get a FREE UPGRADE TO BUISNESS ELITE!! I could hardly beleive it! He said they needed to fill up the biz elite cabin b/c the flight was overbooked (as usual) and they wanted to empty up whatever seats they could to get pax in the economy cabin. Sweeet, I thought!! We told him we would be delighted to have seats in business and he got it done! I had the window, of course! Man, my first experince in biz class, and that too on an M11!!!! WOOHOO!! We started for the airport at around 11:00p.m. Not a lot of traffic, and the newly constructed overpasses in the city helped us zip right along. We soon found ourselves on the dep level of Terminal 2B. There was lots of traffic. We payed our driver and then quickly collected 2 carts for our 4 bags. Went into the terminal, where we stood in the line for the DL counter. The terminal was very busy as usual, as this was the international rush hour at BOM. We were edging closer to the counter and collected the tags for our carry-ons and prepared our IDs, when some guy from one of the 4 DL counters called our name. He was an aquaintance of my freind! He had been already informed by my freind that we would be there and had asked him to assist us. "Wow, that was so nice of him", I thought. So did my mom. She was still trying to believe that we were actually gonna fly biz class, since it was her first time as well. Anyway, we weighed our bags and then put 'em on the conveyor belt for the ride to the plane. We then went to the customs and immigration line, which was quite long, but was moving at a pretty good clip. I took a look at the dep board, and the usuals were either on for immigration or were already being boarded. NW 55 to AMS (744), the Alitalia 763ER Milan departure, the Swiss 332 to ZRH, the BA 744 to LHR, the LH 744 (flt 757) to FRA, an Ethiopian 763ER to Nairobi and ours. there were also several AI 74s and 310s departing for the European hubs and Mid-East destinations. After customs and immigration, at about 12:30p.m, we went down to the boarding area. Saw the Alitalia 76 depart, followed by the Ethiopian 76, the Swiss 332, the NW 744 and then a Fedex 300. Boarding was started late for some reason, at 1:40a.m. We went in first, follwed by the economy pax. I was on the right side of the cabin and had a nice view of the AI terminal. Saw a 744 and a 310 of AI parked there, and there were several AI 310s on the remote stands. The FA gave her spiel and at around 2:15, the door was closed and we got pushed back. And that was followed by a VERY quiet engine startup. Wow, those engines just whined, not the usual noisy startup u experince in other aircraft. Taxied out to RWY 27 and we were #1 for takeoff. However, we had to hold short for an inbound AI 744. We then backtracked on 27 w/ the wing nav lights now flashing and the nav fuselage lights on and did a 180. A few seconds later, the pilot gunned the engines to full throttle and we were roaring down the active. Passed the holding spot, then the just-landed AI 744, then RWY 14-32, then terminal 1B. Caught a glimpse of 4 Jet Airways 73s. We were soon airborne, and the lights of the city shone brilliantly once more, and I waved adios to Bombay. Cleared the coastline and then turned to the NE. The mid-east region, then flew over Turkey, then the Balkans, Austria, the Black Forest and then France. Snapped pics of a collapsing t-storm over S Germany just after sunrise, pretty cool. About 150 miles out of the CDG area, we started initial app. Weather conditions for CDG: cloudy and 53 F, w/ developing showers later on. After clearing the cloud deck, we started final for RWY 26 L. Winds were westerly and it was overcast, but no rain yet. Crossed the perimeter roads, then over the threshold. Apparently, 26 R was shut down for repairs, so there was a line up of 7 AF aircraft for 26 L. We landed w/ 2 soft bumps followed by a 3-G reverse thrust rollout. Saw a lot of construction and repair equip on the other rwy. A DL 772ER passed by on its way for dep. At the football extension rotunda were an Air Tahiti 343, a CX 744 ASIA WORLD CITY CS (WOOHOO) and an AF 342. Plenty of AF stuff around and DL as well. We parked at one of the 2C remote stands, and were then bussed up to the terminal. Saw an Aeromexico 762 pull up; it had arrived from MEX and JFK. It later developed some mechanical problems and the flt back had to be cancelled, leaving behind some very angry pax. More aircraft: AA 772ER, Vietnam 763ER, CO 772ERs, AF 332s, Swiss 320, EasyJet 733.

DL 21.
    August 18th, '02.
    Aircraft: B777-200ER.
    Sched dep: 1:50p.m.
    Actual dep: 1:50p.m. (takeoff time: 2:45p.m.)
    Sched arr: 5:15p.m.
    Actual arr: 6:15p.m.
    Seat: 39J.
    Dep weather: Cool, 53 F and light to moderate rain, overcast. wind: WSW at 10 mph.
    Arr weather: Hot, hazy and humid. 92 F, scattered storms. Wind NNE at 5 mph.

Saw the Winter Olympics DL 772ER and it was parked on one of the 2C remote stands. Saw my M11 leave for JFK soon after. Soon, we were on our way to our 772ER for the flt to ATL. Little did I know that it was the Olympics plane! WOOHOOOO! Man, this trip was turning out to be awesome! Snapped pics. It was raining by now, but I could've cared less. Took our seats and saw another EasyJet 73 pass by for dep. CO 777 for EWR, AF 744 for LAX and then an AF 777 for BOS. Got pushed back, saw the spoilers and aileron being tested and then made our way pass the C and A terminals to the north side of the field. Caught pics of the CX 744 Asia's World City, an Air Tahiti Nui 343 and an AOM French DC-10. Passed by an Aeris France 763 on the north-south taxiway. I saw seven other aircraft queing up for the RWY 27 L. 27 R was closed for repairs. So here you had a four runway airport w/ only two operational runways. And when you have low ceilings and rain added to the mix, you've got delays. The pilot said it would be abt half an hour before takeoff. I was on the right side of the cabin, and through the windows on the other side, I could make out a Team LH ERJ 145 holding short, behind it, a BMI ERJ and at the very far end of the rwy, a Thai 744 holding short for dep to Bangkok. Saw some aircraft come in: DL 76, BMI 321 (old cs), a Tyrloean CRJ and an AF 320. Before all this, a CO 777 departed follwed by the AF 777 for BOS. Finally, after 30 minutes (the Team LH ERJ and BMI ERJ were still waiting, as was the Thai 744) we got clearance for takeoff. A low moan and then the usual roar, and we were barreling down RWY 27 L. Took off about 40 seconds later, even though the flight was full. Pretty neat, eh? Climbed to flt level 230 then banked to the ENE, then the NE. The pilot tried to make up for the delay, but to no effect. By the time we were approaching the NE US coastline, 89 knot headwinds were keeping the aircraft at around 500 mph, and I watched on, as the screen in front of me displayed a slowly, upward creeping est. arr time. It went all the way to 6:40p.m. at one time, but eventually, we recovered speed as the aircraft turned southward to ATL, and the pilot managed to bring us to ATL at around 6:15p.m.. Flew over the foll areas: Boston, Philadelphia, D.C, Charlottesville, Raleigh-Durham and Greenville. Then started the long descent to the ATL area. On the way down, we passed some nice looking towers going up around ATL. Soon, we were flying over sububan Atlanta, but it was very hazy. Visibility from our altitude was only 35 miles or so, at around 15,000 feet. Took a SSWstrly course and soon, I could see the airport. We passed just to the east of it. The pilot started deploying the spoilers to slow the aircraft down. Made a right turn and started going west, w/ the spoilers still up. Flew past the field till we were about 20 miles to the west and started turning back east for final app to RWY 8 R. Spoilers were now back in position and I heard the high-pitched noise of the hydraulics preparing for flap deployment. They were deployed about 4 miles from the runway. During the turn, I saw a small stadium with a racetrack, several residential and business areas and a golf course. Abt 2 and half miles out from the active, the spoilers were fully deployed. the aircraft nudged upward and the thud of the aircraft gear doors was heard, followed by a nice rumble. We were riding the thermals, but the 777 was barely getting affected by 'em. It's indeed an extremely stable aircraft. We passed over the highway, then the perimeter road and then the car park. Landing was a bit hard, but rollout was exciting, like the M11 rollout at CDG. After exiting the rwy, saw a NW -9 at the base, then saw the control tower as we headed to Concourse E. Plenty of int'l stuff was going on. Caught an M11 in the new cs, a few other 11s, another 772ER and some DL 76s. Also caught pics of an ASA 72-212 and a Midwest Express M80. Once in the concourse, we went right downstairs to customs and immgration, which was very quick and then went to get our bags for re-checking for the last flight. Only two showed up however, and turns out that authorities kept behind 2 of the bags for detailed inspection. 9/11 stuff. Anyway, we took the train to Concourse B, where our 738 to OKC was waiting. Gate B36.

DL 1431.
    August 18th, '02.
    Aircraft: B737-800
    Sched dep: 8:45p.m.
    Actual dep: 8:43p.m.
    Sched arr: 9:43p.m.
    Actual arr: 9:35p.m.
    Seat: 15A.
    Dep weather: Warm and humid. 78 F, winds WNW at 7-10 mph. Partly cloudy skies, scattered storms.
    Arr weather: Pleasant. 67F, winds SSW at 5 mph, fair skies.

We settled in to the gate area for the last leg to OKC. The 738 was already at the gate, and there were only about 35 pax on the flight. An M80 bound for Hobby was at the next gate, B38. Caught activity coming in from the east on 26 L and 27 R, and dep flts on 27 L. Also caught a DL M11 on takeoff, an Air Tran 712, company DC-9, Am West Express ERJ 145, several ASA CRJs on takeoff and a few company ATRs. Also caught an Am West 320 and a US Airways Express ERJ 145. Saw the second daily AF 777 arriving on 27 R. Plenty of DL 72s as well. Boarding was started on time and everyone was allowed on the aircraft. Some pax paid $40 for an upgrade to first class, due to some empty seats. Boarding was quick, of course, and we got pushed back a few minutes early. After engine startup and flap deployment, we taxied out to 27 L, and I saw some DL 72s taking off on the way. At the end of 27 L, got jetblasted by a company 722 and then it was our turn. Saw a company 733 and a 752 in the dep line-up. Thirty seconds later, we took off and I got a nice view of concourses C, B, A and T. Also got a nice view of storms in the area. It wasn't raining at Hartsfield, though. Pretty much continued on a WNW course and saw some great lightning shows along the way, and at one point, a flash of lightning occurred right outside the window!! After an hour and 34 minutes, descent was started. It was pretty quick, and we were soon flying over Tinker Air Force Base, then crossed over Del City, then downtown OK City, and by this time, the flaps were coming down. A click and the main gear was down w/ the sound of air rushing around it. Flaps 40, then 50... 60, 70 and full deployment. The city lights were pretty neat. In the distance, I saw the guide lights for RWY 17 L, quickly flickering towards the runway indicating the landing direction. The pilot made a sharp left turn to line up w/ the centerline, and that provided a grand view of the I-40 and I-44 interchange, and sorrounding businesses and residential areas. About a minute later, we were over the residential neighborhood north of the airport, then Airport Road, then the perimeter road, and finally the grass became visible. Threshold, then touchdown. Reverse thrust and a comfroatble roll-out. Took taxiway Echo to the terminal ramp area and pulled up at gate C4. Into the terminal and collected our 2 bags which had made it this far, and got the other two a few days later.

Hope you've enjoyed reading this one.

Happy Flying!
    "Ok, I'm gonna get as many as I can on that SW pad there, uh... ok, Amarillo, you're #1, Houston-#2, Albuquerque #3, Phoenix-#4, Chicago-#5, Seattle-#6...

Congratulations, Seattle!"

Nice Report.

Did you get the tail numbers for the planes you were on?

Comment

Re:

Thanks!

The DL M11 was N606DE. (Old cs at the time) I could barely make out the reg. for the Olympics 777, but it had a 4 and a 5 in it. And I couldn't get the 738's reg. b/c there were food trucks and other stuff blocking the view on both sides, and it was too dark at OKC.
      "Ok, I'm gonna get as many as I can on that SW pad there, uh... ok, Amarillo, you're #1, Houston-#2, Albuquerque #3, Phoenix-#4, Chicago-#5, Seattle-#6...

Comment

Thanks, it's frustrating to have those trucks in the way. Also the MD-11's registration was N806DE, all DL MD-11's reg's are in the 800's.

[photoid=33110]
        [photoid=12397]

Comment

Re:

Oops, yah, I meant N806DE. The number key pad doesn't work really well when your fingers slip.

Comment

The Soaring Spitit(Olympics Scheme) is N864DA.

Comment

Re:

Ok, thanks!

Comment

I looked it up for ya---the tail number for the 737-800/flight 1431 ATL-OKC on Aug 18, 2002 was N3765

Comment

Re:

Cool, thanks dude! Btw, where'd you get this info? I'm curious.

Happy Flying!

Comment

Working...
                  X