• Southwest CLE-BWI-ISP 6/24/2003

Summary
    Southwest Airlines
    6/24/2003
    CLE-BWI-ISP
    Flt #'s- 615/1716
    Aircraft 737-700
    Overall experience- Very Good

For my return trip home I once again arrived at the airport about 2 hours early. There was nobody on-line at the check-in counter so we breezed right through and got through security just as quick. After check-in I proceeded to CLE's observation deck located in the B concourse. The deck has two parts to it, an inside and outside but the outside was closed. The glass enclosed inside was ok, you get a great view of the planes taking off and landing but it would have been great if the outside were open. I only spent about 15 minutes up there and then proceeded to walk around the airport. The one thing I'll say about CLE is it's very accessible for passengers. I was able to walk every single concourse in the airport without having to go through addional checkpoints. There wasn't much going on, no Southwest jets, five Continental jets, one 737-400, one 737-800 which was ETOP's rated, three ERJ's, and none of Continental’s planes were using the new D concourse. When I walked the D concourse I was the only passenger in there, kind of weird. US Airways had a Saab 340, Northwest had a DC-9 and a Saab 340, there was also a USA 3000 A320 and an America West A319. After walking the entire airport I went back to our gate and got online in the A group for boarding. Once again the plane was in the old colors and had the old interior. The flight itself was similar to my first trip; we left on time and arrived on time in BWI.

Arriving at BWI we pulled into gate B15 and had a 2-hour layover. The airport was very busy allowing me to get some good pictures. The highlight for me was a former TWA MD-80 at the AA gates. She had two TWA stickers on her, one small sticker near the main door and one larger TWA sticker underneath the main door. Walked around for about an hour and then headed back to the gate to get my boarding pass. I was in the A group and decided to get on line so I would be one of the first on board. Our flight was a continuing flight originating in Las Vegas and they’re about 40 people already onboard when we boarded. Like all the other flights we left on time. Total flight time to ISP was 45 minutes and the on board service was very good.

Foxtrop

Gr8 review, Gr8 detail. Liked reading it!

Only one passenger in Concourse D, hmm. That IS strange.

Happy Flying!
    "Ok, I'm gonna get as many as I can on that SW pad there, uh... ok, Amarillo, you're #1, Houston-#2, Albuquerque #3, Phoenix-#4, Chicago-#5, Seattle-#6...

Congratulations, Seattle!"

Comment

Great trip report

Have they moved the checkpoint at CLE? Last time I was there (about a year ago) there were separate checkpoints for A, B, and C/D. Have they moved the checkpoint back to before where the concourses split? It'd be great to walk between concourses without having to go though security each time.

Sadly, I'm pretty sure the outside of the observation deck has remained closed ever since 9/11. It used to be great to go out there, feel the breeze in your hair, and jet turbine engines rattling your eardrums

Comment

Nice report. I was at BWI a couple of hours before you got there.

Comment

Working...
        X