• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cathay Pacific: Hong Kong - Delhi

Airline: Cathay Pacific

Aircraft: Airbus A330-300

Total flying time: 5 hours

Seat: 64K (Window seat on the right hand side of the plane)

Departure time: 10:10 P.M. Hong Kong time

Estimated Arrival time: 1:25 A.M. Delhi time (3:55 A.M. Hong Kong time)

We (My brother and I) reached Hong Kong intl. airport about 2 and a half hours before the departure time. We got checked in pretty fast because there was not much rush. After that we went to the bookshop at the airport and bought two books - "Barry Trotter and the Shameless Parody" and "Bored of the Rings", two excellent parodies on two of my favourite books.

We cleared immigration and security without much of a hassle, and proceeded to gate 1 which was very close to the security area, so we didn't have to walk very much. This was a welcome relief because Cathay usually uses gates such as 64, 65 etc.

Sitting at the gate we started reading our books, my brother was reading Harry Potter and the order of the Phoenix. I started on Barry trotter and the shameless parody, but soon became more interested in what was outside the window.

I had my non digital olypus zoom camera with me (my parents had the digital one with them) so I started taking pictures of some cathay Pacific 330's and 747's parked on the tarmac. Unfortunately, it was night, and I was shooting through a window, so the flash's reflection would have come on the pictures (I haven't yet got them developed)

Soon it was time for boarding - after boarding the business class pax they started boarding the economy class pax. Rows 54-70 were called first, so we wnt and boarded the aircraft. After about 15 minutes, we taxied to rwy 25L and took off. The captain dimmed the lights for takeoff so that we could have a better view of the intl. airport and that tarmac and all the aircraft that were parked on the tarmac.

We levelled off at FL350, at which time we got peanuts and drinks. they wee showing some interesting movies on the PTV's (Chicago, Frida, The Guru, The recruit etc.) I watched part of Chicago and the recruit, and then dinner was served. It was excellent - Chicken Curry with bhindi (ladyfinger/okra) and saffron rice. We also got a bun, a slice of watermelon and rockmelon, and a cake for dessert. I had a sprite along with my dinner.

Then I started feeling very sleepy. Fortunatel, the flight was not very full, and the seat next to me (and the seat next to my brother) was empty, so I put up the armrest and stretched out and fell asleep.

A little while later hen I woke up, the captain had put on the seatbelt sign, and had announced our descent into Delhi. I found this quite wierd, because it was only 12:15 A.M. (delhi time), and the arrival time was 1:25 A.M.

Anyway, we descended over Delhi, turned short finals and landed. It took the aircraft ages to stop. I think we used up nearly the whole runway. What's more, the captain barely used thrust reversers, or so I thought! We got off the runway and taxied to our gate. It was now 12:45 A.M. The captain smoothly parked the aircraft, and switched off the seatbelt sign. All the pax got up and started taking out their handbags etc. etc. from the overhead bins. After about 15 mins, the PA became active, and the captain asked us all to sit down again, because there had been some mistake while parking, the aircraft was not aligned properly with the corridor. So we all sat down, and the captain reversed and aligned the aircraft. In the bargain it had becaome 1:05 A.M by the time we left the flight.

We passed through immigration, collected our baggage which had already arived by the time we reached the conveyor belt, passed smoothly through customs, met my grandparents and went home.

All in all, another excellent flight on Cathay.

P.S.: The f/a was very friendly and sociable -when she saw my brother reading Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, she asked him how the book was, and he told her to ask me because I had finished the book. So she came to my seat and started chatting about Harry Potter for a while, before she went off. Really friendly f/a.

Kudos to cathay, and watch out for my next few flight reports - intra-India and Delhi to Hong Kong.
    "The Director also sets the record straight on what would happen if oxygen masks were to drop from the ceiling: The passengers freak out with abandon, instead of continuing to chat amiably, as though lunch were being served, like they do on those in-flight safety videos."

-- The LA Times, in a review of 'Flightplan'

Where are you in Delhi Tanuj ? Enjoy your vacations .....

REgards

Comment

I'm in G.K.2
      "The Director also sets the record straight on what would happen if oxygen masks were to drop from the ceiling: The passengers freak out with abandon, instead of continuing to chat amiably, as though lunch were being served, like they do on those in-flight safety videos."

-- The LA Times, in a review of 'Flightplan'

Comment

nice report!
        My pics:
        http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=1067

Comment

Nice report, Tanuj. Good to hear that the CX service was great, as usual.

P.S. Did you get the registration of the plane you were on ... if not, you should be able to read it off the nose gear door before you board next time, eg. LA, LB, LC etc. if you are on a CX A330.

Cheers,
          Trent Wallace

Comment

Working...
          X