No announcement yet.

Northwest: GFK-MSP-BOI

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Northwest: GFK-MSP-BOI

    Northwest Airlines Trip Report: June 29, 2003


    After six months of school it was once again time to head home for a well deserved rest. On Sunday, June 29, 2003 I got up around 6:45 a.m. for my 9:05 a.m. departure. I left the University of North Dakota campus around 7:30 a.m., and by 7:45 I was already in front of the Grand Forks “International” Airport.


    Check-in was a breeze, since I’ve already checked-in on-line the day before. I walked up to one of the electronic check-in machines, and within 2 minutes I had my luggage tag. Threw my bag in front of the TSA agent for screening, and then headed over to the Crosswinds restaurant for a cup of coffee. I passed thru security around 8:45 a.m., which only took about 5 minutes and then made my way to Gate 1.


    Airline: Northwest Airlink/*operated by Mesaba Airlines
    Flight#: 3240
    Aircraft: Saab 340 SF
    Registration: N456XJ
    Seat: 7D (Window)

    Scheduled/Actual Departure: 9:05 a.m./ 9:11 a.m.
    Scheduled/Actual Arrival: 10:30 a.m./ 9:34 a.m.

    The plane stayed in Grand Forks overnight, so we were all ready to go. Boarding was called around 8:50 a.m., and shortly before 9 o’clock everyone was on board and the doors were closed. The flight was pretty full, with only 3 open seats left. Engines were started and we slowly began rolling towards taxiway Delta. A short stop at D and the young captain came over the PA, welcomed us on board and explained to us that since this is the first flight of the day for this aircraft, they well need to check the engines real quick and told us not to worry about the unusual noises coming from the engines. Two minutes later we rolled down taxiway Alpha for runway 35L. A short stop on the runway and off we went. Shortly after rotation at 9:11 a.m., the cockpit door flew open, which gave me a nice view in the cockpit, but then the F/A came up and locked it again. We turned towards the Southeast heading straight for MSP. About 10 minutes into the flight, the F/A came around with beverages and pretzels. Flight time was announced as 58 minutes. Overall, the flight was smooth and uneventful. We started our decent shortly after 10:00 a.m.. Later, the captain came over the PA and announced that they put us in a holding pattern, so we flew a big 360 degree circle, before heading into MSP. The approach was very nice, we flew directly over downtown Minneapolis and past the airport on an extended downwind for runway 30R. I spotted numerous NW planes on approach. We followed a NW A320 and touched down smoothly on runway 30R shortly after 10:30 a.m. We arrived at Gate B6 were I disembarked the aircraft and made my way to my connecting flight which would leave from Concourse F.


    Airline: Northwest
    Flight#: 569
    Aircraft: Airbus A319-100
    Registration: N337NB
    Seat: 8A (Window)

    Scheduled/Actual Departure: 11:26 a.m./ 11:46 a.m.
    Scheduled/Actual Arrival: 01:26 p.m./ 01:16 p.m.

    I walked all the way over the Concourse F, which took me about 15 minutes. Our plane today was an Airbus A319 (N337NB) leaving from Gate F5 headed for Boise, Idaho. Boarding was called shortly after 11 o’clock, and by 11:20 a.m. everyone was on board the aircraft. Flight was about 95% full. We pushed back right on time at 11:26 a.m. Engines were started and we made our way to Runway 30R. Flight time was announced as 2 hrs 28 mins. While taxing to the runway, our Female captain came over the PA welcomed us on board NW flight 569 to Boise and that we are no. 8 for take off. I watched a few planes land on 30R, while taxing, including several Northwest Airlink Saab 340’s and Avro RJ., as well as a NW B752 and a Delta B732. Once we’ve reached the start of the runway, a NW DC-9 took off, while we had to wait for a Mesaba Saab 340 to land. We lined up and as soon as the Saab left the runway, well applied full power and rocketed down the runway. We took off parallel with a NW DC-9 taking off from 30L, we made a few turns and eventually headed towards the West. The captain kept us well informed of the progress of the flight and told us that it should be a smooth flight. And yes, she was right. This was probably the smoothest flight I have ever been on! Our route took us through Minnesota, and just north of Aberdeen South Dakota, then into Wyoming just north of Jackson Hole and Yellowstone park (great views!) and Sun Valley, ID and then into BOI. As mentioned before, the flight was really smooth, and I slept for about an hour. The usual beverages and pretzels were given out by a male F/A in the main cabin and two female F/A in first class. The approach into BOI was great, sky was clear, which provided some great views of the mountains and foothills. We touched down smoothly on runway 10L at 1:16 p.m., just a few minutes a head of schedule.


    Overall, both flights have been very pleasant and smooth, with on-time departures and arrivals. Both aircraft were clean and service was good. No complaints this time

    Hoped you guys enjoyed reading this trip report, and if you have any questions or comments, please feel free to ask

  • #2
    How do you like our new terminal here in BOI?