No announcement yet.

Not many pics, but another Jumseat ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not many pics, but another Jumseat ...

Hi everybody and welcome again. This time is for a two sector leg. Enjoy the ride, your comments welcome.

Alain

Time was for using coupon # 2 of this Meridiana courtesy ticket

October 19th 1993
    McDonnell Douglas MD83, I-SMEV, 49669/1463
    IG/ISS 441
    Olbia/Costa Smeralda-Cagliari, 115 nm
    08.00 / 08.40
    Airborne 27 minutes

[photoid=375059]
    When checking-in, I issued a wish for flying on the jumpseat, which was accepted by Captain Cianfruglia provided I solemly accepted "not to touch everything", an absolutely logical step.
    Duly called for we 35 passengers showed up for boarding on board the MadDog at 07.55.
    borading last, I landed on the jumseat with the help of First Officer Brandmayr. Communications with ATC were in English. In the tanks were 10,550 lbs of fuel and at 08.05, engines were spooled up. This paved the way to taxi two minutes later
    during which the chief-stewardess came in the cockpit to voice a "OK-la-cabina". yet some hold at the threeshold was observed until clearance for rotation was awarded for on runway 24/06. Finally we rotated at 08.15 at a speed of 210 knots

In no time, the MD83 reached FL170 and was kept speeding at 418 knots.
    Descent was initiated at 08.36 at a speed of 270 while the chief stewardess came-in with an "OK-la-cabina" statement. Four minutes later we were at short finals at a speed of 185 knots.

Landing on runway 32/14 came next at 08.42 at a speed of 137 knots.
    View over the pilots'shoulders and cockpit windows told me the left side was housing a squadron of Italian AF SAR Breguet 1150 Atlantics patrol aircrafts. As for Echo-Victor, we pulled along at the opposite side at 08.47.

During the stop-over I opted to stay on board and while Captain Cianfruglia and F/O Brandmayr conducted the chores attached to the flight, time was for charting their carrers.
    A 20year+ (at time of flying) veteran with the airline, Captain Cianfruglia started by flying Fokker 27s and flew every type added to the fleet.
    Much younger F/O Brandmayr started flying the military way as an officer with the Aeronautica Militare Italiane (AMI). In terms of logging hours, his two main mounts were the AerMacchi MB326 trainer and the Lockheed F104 Startfighter interceptor. Then came a few years with the US Air Force as part of an exchange program and most regular mounts were Northrop T38s Talon. Flying Alisarda DC.9-32s was his first civil contract.

Soon passengers boarding at Cagliari joined the flight and the Chief Stewardess handed over to Captain Cianfruglia a passenger's personal gun.
    They were still 8.7 tons of fuel on board and our GWT showed 50.5 tons when engines were spooled up at 09.20, translating to taxi at 09.22 and another "OK-la-cabina" statement. Echo-Victor neatly aligned on runway 32/14 and initiated her taking-off roll. VR was reached at 126 knots, V2 at 135 and three more knots allowed the rotation at 09.25.

We soon banked over Cagliari and climbed to FL280 while charting our route over a long series of reference points (the ones I could note...) starting with KOVAS, 46 nm away, then KOLWS, 71 nm away, TALIN, 90 nm away at 08.34 GMT, BATOX (119 nm, 08.38 GMT), TINTO (155 nm, 08.44GMT),

NORMI (274nm, 09.06 GMT), JESSY (290nm, 09.10 GMT) and LIRP (336nm at 09.13 GMT). In the meantime I asked Captain Cianfruglia should he ever flew some ferry flights from Long Beach to Olbia and how they were tackled with. He replied this was kinda of gift for the Chief Pilot.
    The MadDog gradually lowered her altitude and when overflying Elba, our FL160 was to a low 160. Getting over Livorno at 175 knots led to short finals at 10.14. Three minutes later we touched down at Pisa while an Alitalia DC.9-32 was at the holding point. Again the left side of the airport zone was for the AMI which bases Herkies there. Finally we reached the gate at 10.20.

Till the next
    Thanks for visiting
    *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
    *JetPhotos*
    Airliners*Pbase.com

Very interesting report, must have been amazing to fly in the jumpseat. Too bad its no longer possible here for most people after 9/11.
    sigpic
    http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

Very nice, You're sitting on the aircrafts third best seat.

OK-LA-FLIGHT REPORT !
      Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

Thanks again for your repeated support.
        Alain
        Thanks for visiting
        *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
        *JetPhotos*
        Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

Working...
        X