Dec. 25th, '05: BLR-BOM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cx777
    I've seen places where they have people on the roof.. "cargo" rack on the roof too..
    Oh yeah that is wack... People down there dont care about safety and shit.

You know the jeepneys there ??

When I was in vacation down in the philippines, oneof these were packed with people. I think there was 20people on top..

The jeepney were in the local news after that accident. What happened was it crashed , rolled over and crushed alot of people that was sitting at the top.

So horrible. SORRY OT.
    Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

Re:

Originally posted by bbuse
      Interesting report!! It brings back fond memories of my flights on Jet Airways in December between Mumbai and Bangalore!!! The service was excellent!!! Your description also brings back memories of the Bangalore traffic and getting around in the city!!! My favorite experience was a shopping trip in the autorickshaws one Saturday.,, What an exciting experience!!!
      Thanks bbuse, Bangalore's a nice city, can't wait till the new international airport opens when Phase I is completed!

Originally posted by indian airlines
      Neither really...I suppose the best way to describe it is that it's a cross between a scooter (the motorized kind) and a small car. Runs on gas, no pedalling required. I would say it can reach speeds up to 40 km/h.

Nice review Foxtrot. About the Chole thing, it's probably the one thing they know almost everybody likes.
      Thanks for the comment indian. And yes, I agree about Chole, can't go wrong with that, can you?

A little on the autorickshaws: They're meant for the driver and three pax, but it's not uncommon to see them stuffed with upto eight people. Like indian said, they run on gas. Two things about them though, they're not for smooth rides, and during the monsoon, the lack of doors on either side can mean water splashing in, lol.

Foxtrot

Comment

Originally posted by Foxtrot
        A little on the autorickshaws: They're meant for the driver and three pax, but it's not uncommon to see them stuffed with upto eight people. Like indian said, they run on gas. Two things about them though, they're not for smooth rides, and during the monsoon, the lack of doors on either side can mean water splashing in, lol.
        Tell us more about it. Its exciting.

Where's the engine located. Must be crampy in there with up to eight people ..lol..

I cant believe the size of it though. You need to get creative to squeeze up to 8 passengers there.?

Comment

Two things about them though, they're not for smooth rides, and during the monsoon, the lack of doors on either side can mean water splashing in, lol.

Foxtrot
          In the philippines, based on my experience, these are the things that make them fun to ride
          -Zeypi / CX777 - Cathay Pacific VA Junior First Officer

Next Flights: FS2004
          EK332 DXB - MNL B77W
          NH001 IAD - NRT B77W
          NH007 SFO - NRT B77W
          NH009 JFK - NRT B77W
          NH011 ORD - NRT B77W

Comment

Thanks bbuse, Bangalore's a nice city, can't wait till the new international airport opens when Phase I is completed!

Thanks for the comment indian. And yes, I agree about Chole, can't go wrong with that, can you?

Foxtrot
            The new international airport in Bangalore is much needed, especially after seeing how old and crowded the current terminal is. Unfortunately I have a feeling it will be a while before the new international airport opens, considering how slow construction projects seem to move along there.

On the autorickshaw subject, I thought many (or all) of the autorickshaws now run on propane or natural gas.
            Click Here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

Comment

On the autorickshaw subject, I thought many (or all) of the autorickshaws now run on propane or natural gas.
              Yeah, they used to run on Harley-Davidson engines but most have recently switched to a slightly more efficient Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) engine.

Incidentally, the CNG engine was developed in Mississauga.
              "The Director also sets the record straight on what would happen if oxygen masks were to drop from the ceiling: The passengers freak out with abandon, instead of continuing to chat amiably, as though lunch were being served, like they do on those in-flight safety videos."

-- The LA Times, in a review of 'Flightplan'

Comment

Re:

Last I heard, CNG engines were manufactured in India for all Indian vehicles, don't know where you heard that. They're being manufactured at a plant just outside Chennai. And yeah, while the CNG engines are being installed in autorickshaws around the country, the progress is very slow, much of Pune's rickshaws are still belching out toxic smoke (my eyes itched and watered due to the pollution alone). Same in Bangalore, though the problem there is not as bad.

As for the new international airports in Hyderabad and Bangalore, those projects are already well under way and won't take long like it usually does in India. They being constructed by foreign companieswho like to get things done quickly. All the paperwork and red tape has been cleared out of the way and the companies were given a full go-ahead to start work on those new airports.

Foxtrot

Comment

Last I heard, CNG engines were manufactured in India for all Indian vehicles, don't know where you heard that. They're being manufactured at a plant just outside Chennai.
                  The technology was developed in Mississauga, but yeah, they're being produced in India.
                  "The Director also sets the record straight on what would happen if oxygen masks were to drop from the ceiling: The passengers freak out with abandon, instead of continuing to chat amiably, as though lunch were being served, like they do on those in-flight safety videos."

-- The LA Times, in a review of 'Flightplan'

Comment

As for the new international airports in Hyderabad and Bangalore, those projects are already well under way and won't take long like it usually does in India. They being constructed by foreign companieswho like to get things done quickly. All the paperwork and red tape has been cleared out of the way and the companies were given a full go-ahead to start work on those new airports.
                    What kind of positions will they be working with.... Materialwise projects ?

Btw great stuff about the autorickshaw and its engine. Nice reading !

Comment

The technology was developed in Mississauga, but yeah, they're being produced in India.
                      Ahh, I see. Interesting...

Originally posted by MaxPower
                      What kind of positions will they be working with.... Materialwise projects ?

Btw great stuff about the autorickshaw and its engine. Nice reading !
                      For the Hyderabad Int'l airport project, it's a consortium of companies including Malaysia Airports, Changi Airport Ltd and GMR of India. AAI will also have a partial stake in the project. Same kind of deal for Bangalore's new airport. The companies will build the airports, continue with their management and operation, and oversee their expansion.

Foxtrot

Comment

Working...
                      X