Clear All

• UAL202 YVR-IAD & TCF7540 IAD-BDL

7/19/06
    UAL202
    A319
    N834UA
    YVR-IAD
    4 hours 20 minutes

Got to YVR at about 10:00 for a 12:20 flight. The United checkin line streched for a respectable disance, but was nothing compared to the US immigration line which streched down the length of the terminal, and looped around a couple times near the end of the terminal. Checkin was pretty easy with the United Kiosk, and soon we were headed for the loooooooong US customs/immigration line. Towards the end of the terminal there was a guy sitting in a chair with a cat, which was going into a garbage can, to look for food, it was kinda funny. The line moved decently though, and soon we cleared US customs at YVR. At this point I went to the Pacific Grill (fast food place near the gate) and got a hot dog and fries which were pretty good. After eating, it was time for boarding. Boarding went pretty fast, we actually got on after the last boaring call. The plane was hot inside, and the pilot said that the ground AC unit wasn't working, so they started an engine before pushback to get some cool air into the plane. After push back we taxied on one engine for a while, then the #2 was started up. The JAL Samurai Blue 744 was parked at the international gates, so that was nice to see on taxi.

After this we taxied past the domestic side, and then towards runway 8R. One family had a baby, which wouldn't stop crying. It was very annoying. This begs the question, why don't parents give their babies pacifiers if they are crying? At least the kid shut up for takeoff though. We were in line behind an Alaska 73G. Once he took off, we took the runway, and takeoff thrust was applied. There was a JAL 744 approaching 8L when we started roll. Takeoff was nice, and there was a nice overview of the airport once we got airborne, which I got in the video I made. As we climbed it was smooth, we got one random big bump, as we climbed. We continued east, and soon were over the Rockies.

I turned on channel 9, and listned to that for a while. Then the IFE movie Ice Age 2 came on, so I watched that. It was ok, much better than "She's the Man", (which was played after that, since there was enough time) When that came on it was back to channel 9, for the rest of the flight. This is when things started getting more interesting too. I guess over the Midwest there were some pretty big t-storms, so for several periods we went through some pretty good turbulence. I enjoyed it actually. This time however, the air got smoother as you went lower. So planes were requesting to go down to altitudes like FL250 when they were at something like FL370, and getting bumped around. We started off at like FL370, and the pilots eventually reqested FL250, since that was reported to be smoother, and eventually were were cleared all the way down there, and the turbulence subsided. After being at FL250 for a bit, it was time to decend further for approach to IAD. Approach was good, but you couldn't see much as it was hazy, out. Eventally, we were set up on approach for runway 1R. The setting sun was visible in the distance, as we were on final. After landing we taxied right to gate C6, which took no time at all. I guess this is why they pilots requested 1R in the air, when at first we were supposed to go to 1L. This was a good flight, no complaints.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oA1YP99rCh8

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

7/19/06
    TCF7540
    ERJ-170
    N647RW
    IAD-BDL
    50 minutes

This flight was at night. Boarding went pretty quickly, and soon we were pushed back. We started up one engine, then taxied on that, and started up #2 while waiting for runway 1R. There were mostly RJ's out waiting for departure. Although I did see a 767-300 on roll, and the A319 I had come to IAD on was getting pushed back too when we went by that gate. A Global Express took off before us, then it was our turn. Takeoff thrust applied and we rolled down runway 1R and lifted into the sky. Soon after departure we went through some puffy clouds and got knoked around a bit. It pretty nice actually, and since some people who had been reading got nervous, they shut off their reading lights, so then I could see outside better since the reflections caused by the lights were gone. The turbulence was only in/near a few clouds and we were soon out of it. It became smooth after this. When we got a bit higher, I switched seats to an empty row so I had 2 seats to myself for the rest of the flight. Since this flight was very short there wasn't any drink service or anything like that. We passed the NYC area, and soon we started decent for BDL. Arrival was on runway 6. Before I got off the flight, I asked if I could get pics of the cockpit. The captian was cool, and he turned up the brightness on the displays for me, and asked if the pics were going on airliners.net. All in all, another great flight.

Great pics and report Paul Looks like a fun trip
    You've got to try to find what's right before your eyes-Finger Eleven

Comment

How does the engine-AC part works on an airplane ? Is a generator connected to the engine which powers the Gen. for the AC ?

Yeah it's a pain in the neck to have a baby near your seat, waah waah all the time. One time with KLM to Manila, an F/A offered a pacifier to a crying baby because the parents didnt thought about it crying during the flight. One point there for KLM.

The Samurai Blue looks amazing. I viewed the video, one question, what is that "drilling" noise at the start of the video ? and what an awesome view you got there. (Looking at your Mountain wingshot)

Originally posted by Paul
      so for several periods we went through some pretty good turbulence. I enjoyed it actually
      Hahaha. You know what's is up when you like the turbs !

One big smile during the turbs, and the next passenger right next to you is clinging on his armrest,* We're gonna crash* Cheer up dude!

------

I think its one of the best report in here. The photo plus video is a great "add" to it.
      Thanks for sharing your report with us.

One more thing. Didnt the pilot asked also if you were going to post this at jetphotos ? and not only at the darkblue side ?

Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

Originally posted by MaxPower
        The Samurai Blue looks amazing. I viewed the video, one question, what is that "drilling" noise at the start of the video ? and what an awesome view you got there. (Looking at your Mountain wingshot)
        The noise is the flaps coming down.

Originally posted by MaxPower
        How does the engine-AC part works on an airplane ? Is a generator connected to the engine which powers the Gen. for the AC ?
        When the engines are running the generators are producing electrical power to power everything that is needed.

Glad you enjoyed the report!

Comment

Well doh. I didnt now that was the one making the noises.

I didnt only enjoyed it, It was a pleasure to read another report from you, Man !

Keep up the good work. Cant wait for your next flight rep.
          Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

Re:

The noises you hear are coming from the hydraulic system, on the airbuses, it depends, sometimes you hear them while the flaps are being deployed, sometimes you hear them before.

Foxtrot

Comment

Great report and photos.
              Alain
              Thanks for visiting
              *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
              *JetPhotos*
              Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

Working...
              X