West Coast Air CHX-YWH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• West Coast Air CHX-YWH

(Forgot to post this one before when I took the flight during my YVR trip)

7/15/06
    DHC-6-100 Twin Otter
    C-FGQE
    CXH-YWH
    About 30 Minutes

This is a floatplane flight aboard one of the little airlines that operate services from Vancouver Harbor to Victoria Harbor and some other places in BC. This would be a day trip from Vancouver to Victoria, then back by ferry. Checkin was like 30 minutes before the flight, so we ate then headed down to the float plane terminal in the harbor. I guess they just booked a bunch of people for the 8:00 flight, so they just put two planes on for that time. We got on the second flight, since the first flight filled up. Seating for these flights is Southwest style, you can sit where ever you want. They only carry like 16 pax though. After getting the boarding pass, I made sure I stood near the ramp, so when they called boarding I would be the first on and get best selection of seats. I was, and took the first seat closest to the cockpit. Everyone else followed behind, and soon everyone was onboard. The FO gave a bit of a safety breifing, then the electrical power was turned on, and the engies started. The nice smell of Jet A filled the cabin since the captain had the window open, and we floated away from the dock and into the harbor to takeoff. After floating along for a bit, takeoff power was applied, and the twin otter accelerated across the harbor and lifting gentally into the air. We turned towards the west and flew over the harbor, and Lions Gate Bridge.

Takeoff video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6RQC...ch=galacanocus

We then turned more towards the south to headed toward Victoria. I was on the side of the plane that was backlit, but the views were still nice, but not conducive to pictures. However it was good that I sat on the side I did as the light was good when we were on approach to Victoria harbor. After a short cruise at about 4,000ft (I could see the GPS unit in the cockpit) we started decending towards Victoria. Soon we were on final, with some great views of the city. We landed nicely in the water, then floated to the docks in Victoria.

Approach/Landing in Victoria:

This was a great flight. I highly reccomend it to anyone who visits Vancouver and likes aviation.

-----------------------------------------------------

The return trip was by ferry, thus not aviation related. However there was some awesome scenery, and I got these two pretty good looking girls to talk to me for basically the whole time, so that was very good. One of them has been e-mailing me now.

View from the ferry:

Great report Thats awesome you got to fly on a Twotter, this past fall I flew on a single engine Otter to go deer hunting. I love radials now.

What kind of ferry were you on? Was it a Victoria Clipper? Or a B.C. ferry? If it was a BC ferry, was it fast or slow? I am thinking that BC ferries sold all there fast ones at really low prices a few years back.
    You've got to try to find what's right before your eyes-Finger Eleven

Comment

Pics 4 and 5 are over CFB Esquimalt/Work Point Barracks, the former also showing the PMQ patch and the nasty little manufactured homes they put up as a temporary measure in 1981. I used to work there when posted with 3 PPCLI 25 years ago. The Navy took the place over when the Bn relocated to Chilliwack and then Edmonton (they are in Kandahar right now).

Comment

Originally posted by Alaska Air Rules
        Great report Thats awesome you got to fly on a Twotter, this past fall I flew on a single engine Otter to go deer hunting. I love radials now.

What kind of ferry were you on? Was it a Victoria Clipper? Or a B.C. ferry? If it was a BC ferry, was it fast or slow? I am thinking that BC ferries sold all there fast ones at really low prices a few years back.
        There is another company called Harbour Air that also flies the route which operates turbo prop single otters. The twin otter was also a turbo prop.
        The ferry was B.C. Ferries. Took about 90 minutes to cross.

Comment

Working...
        X