Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tripreport SXM 04.-12.11.2007 (Attention, many pictures!!!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tripreport SXM 04.-12.11.2007 (Attention, many pictures!!!)

Hi,

first of all I would like to introduce myself, īcause itīs my first post in this forum.

My name is Torsten and I live near Cologne (CGN), Germany, 30 years old. I started spotting a few years ago but with poor equipment. In May I went to SXM the first time and there I was infected with the "spotting fever", so I bought an EOS 350D (RebelXT) and started spotting with a DSLR.

As the SXM trip in May was so amazing, I decided to go there again.
    Now I returned from SXM and guess, it was so awesome, just unbelievable.

Now Iīm not sure, if this one is the right thread for the trip-report, but I thought that it wouldnīt be correct to place it in the "Flight-review forum". If it should be placed there, please move it to this forum.

It was not an only spotting-tour, cause I was there with my girlfriend, but altough I made a lot of shots. I donīt know how to select them, I made quite a few, but here are some of them (round about 50).

I had some trouble on my trip to SXM due to the cabin strike of the AF staff end of October. As I work for Lufthansa I only had standby tickets, 3 days before our planned trip AF cancelled one of its SXM-rotations, so that the flights were heavily overbooked. Normally we wanted to fly on November, 1st, but we were unlucky, the flight was totally full. We returned to Germany and tried it next on the 3rd, but this flight was also full. On the 4th we were be able to get on the flight.

We stayed at the "La Terrasse" hotel which is directly beside the runway with a lovely pool and terrasse, but the light conditions were not so good for taking shots out of the terrasse, as the sunset is very early in November so that you only could take backlit-shots from there or you had to wait for the turn of the departing planes for lining up RWY09.

But taking the pictures from the Sunset Beach Bar is much better!!!

Well, talked enough, here are the shots, hope you likeīem....

At CDG I only made some shots through a window of Cafe Brioche Doree, the best one was this MD-11 of TAM. Spotting seems to be permitted in CDG, I didnīt know that. But the weather in CDG was luckily not that good for taking good shots, so that it didnīt mind.

Here are lots of Air France planes including both A320s, which are based in the caribbean region (Guadeloupe and Miami) which serve SXM five days a week

[photoid=6110975]

[photoid=6110974]

[photoid=6110976]

[photoid=6111722]

Small bird meets big bird

Blast-Action at Maho Bay

[photoid=6111066]

[photoid=6110980]

[photoid=6110984]

And the other heavy one coming in from Orly

[photoid=6110985]

a panning try

Now the US-division

[photoid=6111743]

[photoid=6111725]

old livery mixed with a new nose and a waving First Officer

[photoid=6111726]

the lowest jet approach of the week

[photoid=6110988]

[photoid=6111727]

KLM765 arriving at night (it was the first try of a nightexposure, but without a tripod. I placed the camera on a table at the Sunset beach bar, fixed it with a package of cigarettes and hold it)

[photoid=6111737]

and some small planes (80% of the traffic are some of these small props)

The crew tried to blow away some tourists

Last edited by AJ; 2007-11-24, 07:59.
    Best regards,
    Torsten

Nice photos! Interesting to see that AF have started their A320 flights now. I was there in mid October just before the high season traffic started.

Comment

Nice photos!!! What kind of camera are you using? And welcome to the forum!

-Chris

Comment

cool photos!

Originally posted by z740
        Nice photos!!! What kind of camera are you using?
        Originally posted by totomagic
        I bought an EOS 350D (RebelXT)

Comment

Whoops, gotta pay more attention next time! Thanks Chris.

-Chris

Comment

I flew on 508NK the flight before that from MCO-FLL

Comment

Welcome to the forums!

Excellent report and pics. Thanks for posting.

Comment

Lovely photos Torsten. I hav modified our post to add JP thumbnails, that reduces the size of our post and gives you hits on your shots!

Comment

Thanks to all for your replies. It was really amazing and Iīm looking forward to go to SXM again probably in May or June next year. And hopefully they will have the Canon EOS 40D, this time it was sold out in every shop in Philipsburg. Due to the actual dollar exchange rate it would be really cheap.

Originally posted by AJ
                  Lovely photos Torsten. I hav modified our post to add JP thumbnails, that reduces the size of our post and gives you hits on your shots!
                  Thanks Anthony, some of the other shots are currently in the upload queue, so that we can reduce them, too if they will be accepted.

P.S.: Just a question. I signed up for a JP Elite account, but my forumname is not shown on the JP Elite status page. It was shown, when I made the sign up. Maybe someone of the admins can change this?!
                  Best regards,
                  Torsten

Comment

I will be going to St. Maarten (sp?) in February, as a stop on a Cruise. Anyone have experience getting to Maho Beach from the cruise port? Is it a long haul? I'll be there on a Friday during the day. When would be the times to get the best shots? This is a one shot chance, so I want to come back with at least a few decent photos...

Comment

Originally posted by dzanello
                      I will be going to St. Maarten (sp?) in February, as a stop on a Cruise. Anyone have experience getting to Maho Beach from the cruise port? Is it a long haul? I'll be there on a Friday during the day. When would be the times to get the best shots? This is a one shot chance, so I want to come back with at least a few decent photos...
                      Hi Dean,

I met a lot of people which had a cruise-daystop in Philipsburg and came to Maho Beach. I donīt know when your ship is leaving Philipsburg again, but I think you will be able to catch the AF A340 arrival, which is at 1435 local time.

I made a visit to Philipsburg, but not with an official taxi, it takes about 30-45 minutes to get to Maho Beach, depends on the traffic. In the early morning and afternoon thereīs traffic jam on the street to and from Philipsburg.

Best days are saturdays and sundays, the bigger ones are coming in from 11 A.M. on, before that you will have the standard traffic (Cessna Caravan, BN-6, Twin Otter, etc.).
                      Best regards,
                      Torsten

Comment

Totally recommend saturdays and sundays traffic wise. Even if you are there on firday you'll get something. Most of the big stuff is around between 12 and 3 so should be plenty of time to get back to Philipsburg. Alot of people do come over to Maho Beach from the cruise ships. Bus is cheapest, but you can get a taxi which you can arrange to pick you up and take you back to the ship.

Comment

very very nice photos!!! I wish I was that close to the airport.

Comment

Originally posted by totomagic
                            Hi Dean,

I met a lot of people which had a cruise-daystop in Philipsburg and came to Maho Beach. I donīt know when your ship is leaving Philipsburg again, but I think you will be able to catch the AF A340 arrival, which is at 1435 local time.

I made a visit to Philipsburg, but not with an official taxi, it takes about 30-45 minutes to get to Maho Beach, depends on the traffic. In the early morning and afternoon thereīs traffic jam on the street to and from Philipsburg.

Best days are saturdays and sundays, the bigger ones are coming in from 11 A.M. on, before that you will have the standard traffic (Cessna Caravan, BN-6, Twin Otter, etc.).
                            Thanks for the advice. I was there long enough to get an AA 757, CO 737, and the Insel MD-83. Other than that, mostly smaller props. I'm just glad I was able to get a couple shots from there while on the island.

My pics from the cruise - mostly from SXM and SJU:
                            http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos....e=1&display=15

Comment

Originally posted by Bok269
                              Welcome to the forums!

Excellent report and pics. Thanks for posting.

Ditto
                              Thanks again for this delightful picture trip.
                              Thanks for visiting
                              *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
                              *JetPhotos*
                              Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

Working...
                              X