Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Air Canada or United?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Air Canada or United?

    I might be going to London next summer for vacation. Right now, I am trying to decide whether to take Air Canada or United. United is nonstop, but the Air Canada economy class is much better. Any help with deciding is appreciated!
    23
    Air Canada
    69.57%
    16
    United
    30.43%
    7

  • #2
    AC, without a doubt.

    Comment


    • #3
      Well, can you pass through YYZ or wherever you may connect without having to go through customs?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Airbus_A320
        Well, can you pass through YYZ or wherever you may connect without having to go through customs?
        You'd have to pass through customs and immigration, whichever way you go. So, you'd pass through customs and immigration at YYZ. When I fly to SFO, from SYD, next summer, I'll be passing through customs and immigration at YVR.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by callufrax
          You'd have to pass through customs and immigration, whichever way you go. So, you'd pass through customs and immigration at YYZ. When I fly to SFO, from SYD, next summer, I'll be passing through customs and immigration at YVR.
          Yes, but he's flying out of SFO. If he flies UAL he would only have to pass once at the destination, if he flies AC he would have to pass through in YYZ as well as LHR.

          As for you flying into YVR then SFO, you'll probably have to pass through Canadian customs, then pass through US Customs. Both of those are located in YVR, as Canada has preclearence.

          Unless there is a way transit passengers don't have to go through twice? But from my understanding you'll have to 'enter' Canada first. Correct me if you know for sure otherwise however, because I'm not really sure about this stuff and would like to know. I've heard of some airports/countries allowing transit passengers to not clear, but I'm not sure on the details.

          Comment


          • #6
            I'd say UA, while their domestic sucks, heard great things about their International. Not much info on AC.

            You live in SQL eh? I fly out of there, the things like an aircraft carrier, over 550 planes based in that tiny little thing!
            sigpic
            http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

            Comment


            • #7
              AC by the length of the straight and then some...good chance you can get on the 773ER which would be a superb ride, UA you'll be on tired old planes.


              next trips
              USA/DXB August.

              Comment


              • #8
                Well, I think I will take AC since they have the new 773ER's. Either way, i get UA miles. I have heard about the new Y product, but can anybody give me some specifics (IFE, Seat, etc.)?

                Comment


                • #9
                  I flew with AC on October from Montreal to Frankfurt and I really didn't appreciate the atmosphere, the crews were quite unfriendly and the service was bad...

                  I don't know if this is always the same as it was my only flight with them.. (I arrived in YUL with AF and they put me on an AC flight because of the AF crews' strike).
                  Want to trade some safety cards? Go to www.safetycardsgeneva.com

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Air Canada, but then I am biased since I'm a Manager in System Ops Control.

                    A good majority of aircraft operating to LHR are B77W's with their individual IFE's. The B763's that cover some routes are in the process of being "XM'd" or made-over. We do have A333's covering some routes as well, however presently they are the last acft to go to the "XM" programme (that's if they do make it there).

                    As for Mr. Steiner's not so great trip to FRA that is a route that senior IFS people bid. I won't defend them, it's too bad they were snarky. Unlike Asian carriers that can dump their F/A's when they get older and "less polite" in North America work rules prohibit that practice.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Airbus_A320

                      Unless there is a way transit passengers don't have to go through twice? But from my understanding you'll have to 'enter' Canada first. Correct me if you know for sure otherwise however, because I'm not really sure about this stuff and would like to know. I've heard of some airports/countries allowing transit passengers to not clear, but I'm not sure on the details.
                      I'm thinking of flying AC to LHR for the Farnborough Airshow just becasue of their new 777's (and I have not been on a 200LR or 300ER). By the way, only certain major Canadian Airports have preclearance for US bound flights. Other airports do not have this qualification and have to go through US Customs here and Canada Customs from the U.S. The only airports that have preclearance are
                      YHZ, YUL, YOW, YYZ, YYC, YEG, YWG, and YVR.
                      This should help you out with your questions about transiting. If I were you, I would do it with YYZ if you want to ride the 777 there to LHR.
                      US to Intl.
                      http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...z_us_intl.html
                      Intl to US (Canada and US Customs preclearnace)
                      http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...z_intl_us.html

                      Allow for extra time if you want to use AC to LHR.

                      For the U.S. you would have to go through US Customs when returning. Depending on the airport, you may have to change terminals and go through security again. They keep International arrivals seperate from domestic ones. ORD for example, you would have to go from Terminal 5 to 1 and reboard another aircraft. Some airports have an easy check-in section for passengers arriving from international flights.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        AC all the way. I do agree some of their more senior cabin staff are past their "Best Before" date. Attitude really makes or breaks a flight, in 2003 I flew to LHR from YYZ-really bad, and the return three months later was the complete opposite. The chance of flying the 773ER would be the clincher.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by a78jumper
                          AC all the way. I do agree some of their more senior cabin staff are past their "Best Before" date. Attitude really makes or breaks a flight, in 2003 I flew to LHR from YYZ-really bad, and the return three months later was the complete opposite. The chance of flying the 773ER would be the clincher.
                          Well, I'm looking for a chance at the 777NG's. Hope the UA agents will book those flights (I'm using miles on this one.)

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by sfoflyer
                            Well, I'm looking for a chance at the 777NG's. Hope the UA agents will book those flights (I'm using miles on this one.)
                            You can log in on the website and book whatever is available for use with rewards. You don't have to talk to an agent, it should all be doable online.

                            And if you talk to an agent and a non-stop is available, chances are, that's what your gonna get. Also your traveling in a peak period that might already have had all its rewards seats taken, or might be blacked out. If you plan to go in the summer and use rewards, you should have already made your reservation months ago.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X