Virgin Blue Day Trip (Pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virgin Blue Day Trip (Pics)

Back in september i decided i was going to Brisbane again, but this time i decided i would make a day of it. So when i booked the flights it ended up being LST - MEL - SYD - BNE - PPP - BNE - SYD - BNE. Seven flights in total. I couldnt wait

(all the pics have been kept to small resolution for quicker downloading times)

LST - MEL
    Dec 4 2007
    DJ601
    737-800
    VH-VON

Flight Time - 1 hr 01 mins
    30,000ft
    690 km/h

The previous day i used Virgin Blue's Web Check-in to secure my boarding passes. That morning i woke at about 3:30am to get ready and packed. I had 2 large sports bags that i was taking also that were so tightly packed when i tried to zip them up they broke. yep both of them, so i had to saftey pin them both up From where i live its about an hours drive to Launcestons airport. Left the house around 4:30 which was a little late for my liking as the check-in would close around about when i got there. The rain was pelting down as we drove along which made the trip even slower. As i arrived at the airport the line was out the door...hmmm so i went inside and since i had used web check-in i was able to head to the relitivle short line (Bag drop off) Thats when i realised there was a problem, the computer system had failed so all the pax had to be manually checked-in, which takes some time i can tell you that. So as i as im checked in by Joel i get my by very different boarding pass and a different seat (4A) from my previous 18F. (Cheers Joel) I finished checking in and i was free, as the other line was miles long. It was time to go outside and check what aircraft i got. Was hoping for a new rego, as i was all day. It was VH-VON "Scarlett Blue", fantastic a new rego for me. So i was happy. A time dragged on i new i was going to miss my connecting flight (MEL - SYD) The time of departure was meant to be 6:10am, but we finally boarded at about 7:10 an hour behind. I get on the aircraft and wait, they had more problems as there was a bad number given in the head count. We finally departed about 1 hr 30 mins behind. We arrived at gate 2 in Melbourne. Flight Time - 1hr 1mins. We arrived and some pax that were connecting on to cairns were able to leave the aircraft first to make their flight. I and many others had missed the connecting DJ821 onto Sydney.

VH-VON getting a sleep in as we are delayed

>>

Woo Hoo! its a new rego VH-VON

>>

Looking down 32L as were ready to depart

Cruising over Bass Strait

The flight tracker on the Live-2-Air system

>>

>
    >

>>

To see my pics on Myaviation.net

http://myaviation.net/search/search.php?uid=19118

MEL - SYD
    Dec 4 2007
    DJ829
    737-800
    VH-VUK

Flight Time - 1 hr 20 mins
    39,000ft
    880 km/h

As we got off the aircraft we were advised to see staff about getting put on a later flight. As i wait in line VUK pops her nose into the window were i was standing. First time i have seen VUK, and only VUL and VUN to go as they are the all the newbies. (seen VUM couple of days before) As i get to the front of the line they my boarding pass there for me and on the next flight plus a window seat (5A) you beauty! I walked around the terminal for a few minutes taking some pictures then i took my seat on board VUK "Mackay-Be-Diva" We blasted off RWY34 for Sydney. Towards the end of the flight i noticed a QF 737 or 767 but couldnt quite make it out, she was catching us but we we started our decent before she got close enough to see. We joined left downwind for 34L amongst many other a/c out around us. We landed and taxied to the gate on time.

Just after departing, with our shadow in the clouds

The golden glow of the CFM-56

Passing by the Sydney coast line

On finals for 34L

SYD - BNE
    Dec 4 2007
    DJ231
    737-800
    VH-VOQ

Flight Time - 1 hr 21 mins
    37,000ft
    850 km/h

This was as far as my bags were travelling so i had to go and collect them. As i wait at the carosel i retrieve 1 then wait... and wait...and wait. I went to the lost baggage area and found that my bag was still in Melbourne, and they would send it up on a later flight. As i would be back later that night it didnt worry me as i could pick it up then. I then tried to check in my remaing bag for the SYD - BNE flight i would later depart on, but there is a 8 hr limit before you can check you bags in and i was 30mins to early. So i had no option but to take it with me to the Whitsundays (PPP). I checked in the bags, and headed for the gate. It was VH-VOQ "Peta Pan" WOO HOO my first flight on a Pacific Blue aircraft. A couple of gates down there was parked VUL so now only VUN to go. I took my seat 21F and we were off to BNE from 34R. As we landed on RWY 01 the right wheel touched first and she tipped to the right, it was great, the right wing must have been close to striking the ground, although i was on the left, but great fun none theless. All the pax enjoyed the rough landing. We taxied and parked at gate 44 next to VUM and VOM.

Fying over Sydney CBD, what a fantastic view you get

>>

On finals for RWY 01 in Brisbane

>>

Comment

BNE - PPP
      Dec 4 2007
      DJ955
      737-800
      VH-VOQ

Flight Time - 1 hr 30 mins
      40,000ft
      820 km/h

As i jumped off VOQ i soon realised that VOQ was continung on up to PPP which was a bummer and which meant i would fly on her 3 times in a row!!!. I went for a short walk and out the window i seen my first Virgin Blue E170 it was VH-ZHB. Around the corner was parked ZHC on the remote stand, fantastic now ZHA to go. After a short period i was back on board VOQ and took my seat (7F) then we taxied out to RWY 01. We passed the Toll 737's ZK-TLA and TLB. We had a short wait for a QF 738 to land then we were off to the whitsundays. Heading up the coast was great, we passedby many places such as Hervey Bay, Bundeburg and Rockhampton amongst others. After some time we made our decent into Proserpine, sticking to the coast. In the faint distance you could see Hamilton Island which is a place i would love to visit. After some manouvering the pilot had us on finals for RWY 11. There was a crew change back in Brisbane so this time the landing was smooth We backtracked along RWY 29 to get back to the terminal...ah if there was one. It was a strang place for me to be, it was in the middle of bushland with nothing to see. Small barb wired fences most likely to keep the sheep in, surrounded most of the perimetre. In the distance there was an old shed but we made it and infact there was a small terminal awaiting our arrival. Time to exit the aircraft and there was a bit of a shock as a heat wave hit us. It was in the high 30's outside. All day i had been used to air conditioned aircraft and buildings. A shelter greeted us with plam trees on either side, looked like a fun place to be. As i was heading back on the next flight i popped into the virgin blue desk and let them know i was just grabbing my bag and will be back in a minute to check - in and dont dont close it on me. But in the end it was fine.

My first VB E170 sighting

>>

The Toll 737's ZK-TLA and TLB

>>

A QF 738 lands as we wait to depart

>>

Only minutes after departing Brisbane, Beautiful

>>

Backtracking along RWY 29 in Proserpine

>>

Comment

PPP - BNE
        Dec 4 2007
        DJ956
        737-800
        VH-VOQ

Flight Time - 1 hr 30 mins
        40,000ft/39,000ft
        810 km/h

So i grabbed my bag from outside off the baggage truck and went back inside to check back in for the return to Sydney. I got my boarding passes and grabbed some food from the small shop inside the terminal. I proceeded through security and went the ahh, gate area. The gate area in Proserpine is mostly outside. Which was a bit strange for me, as its no the gate area im used to thats for sure. Most people were just sitting on the grass waiting but there was a small air conditoned room to get out of the heat, but it was packed. (Sorry i got no pics of the terminal or anything) So back i go on board VOQ for the third time and sat down at 13F. As we wait i watched the Jetstar flight arrive and backtrack to the terminal. It was VH-VQQ. After no delays we were off again from RWY 11 heading for Brisbane. We made our clomb to 40,000ft but it was a bit turbulent so we decended to 39,000ft were it was much smoother. During the flight the thunderstorms were rolling in onto the east coast of Australia but were still at a good distance not to effect this flight. After nearly falling asleep a couple of times we made our secent into Brisbane. We had no delays on landing and made straight in on RWY 01 after flying by the CBD. We made a smooth landing and taxied to gate 44....again and next to VUM...again would you believe. It was Deja Vu for sure. If only it was VH-VBP "Deja Blue" both times instead of VUM After 3 flights it was time to say goosbye to "Peta Pan"

Proserpine terminal and VQQ

>>

Nice clouds as we approach BNE

>>

Comment

BNE-SYD
          Dec 4 2007
          DJ262
          737-800
          VH-VUN

Flight Time - 1 hr 40 mins
          40,000ft
          700 km/h

After i left VOQ i had a bit of time before the next flight so i went walk abouts through the terminal taking pictures here there and everywhere. After that i was hungry so i joined the line at Red Rooster behind 2 Virgin Blue pilots. I orded my meal and went and sat at the window at gate 40 were my flight was due to arrive. As i sit and eat an announcement was made saying the flight is delayed 30 mins, so i ate even slower. As i ate the 2 Pilots in the red rooster line were waiting on the tarmac for the same aircraft i was and looked like they would be flying me to Sydney. One pilot was reading Australian Aviation whilst the other seemed to be fasinated by the aircraft puchback tug. he looked like a child as he crawled all over it and played with the steering wheel. As i wait ans snap pics of planes passing by there were a couple of stand outs. VH-QOH arrived on RWY 01. VH-VQQ who was in PPP with me was back and i noticed her left winglet was grey and not the usual orange. Infact she has been flying around for a while without it. ZHA carrived which gave me the hatrick of E170's and all in one day. Only VUN was needed now. VUH arrived which is also in Pacific Blue livery and by this point i was sick of seeing Pacific Blue liverys'. But as luck has it another Pacific Blue aircraft touched down making it another. So now it was VUH, VOQ, VUM and the one one just arrived. It was Pacifc Blue day in Brisbane. As the Plane got closer i seen it was VUN !!! at she headed for my gate, you beauty! Now i have caught the whole fleet....again, and best of all ill be flying on her. Oh and for the record VH-VBI arrived which finally broke the trend of pacific Blue planes. As the boarding call was announced i jumped in line early. I took my assinged seat (21F) and as i did so there was another younf fella who thought i had taken his seat, he thought 21D was the window seat. He was a bit of a !@#$ head about it i must say so i innocently rubbed it in with words like " Yeah i hate it when i dont get a window seat" There was no way i was moving for anyone. We left the gate 30 mins late as expected and taxied to RWY 01. We passed the toll 737's again but this time they were in opposite positions, so they must have went on an adventure whilst i was in PPP, unless they were playing games on me and swapped them. off we were from 01 and off to Sydney. I was hopeing for a sunset flight and i was lucky enough to get one. The thunderstorms by now had reached the east coast of Aussie so we flew quite a bit inland for the flight south. Towards the end of the flight the sun began to set and it was a magnificint sight. As we decended into Sydney the towering clouds, the glowing sun and numorous lightnig bolts it was one of the flights you just cant forget. You just had to be there to see it. We decend below the clouds and into the darkness, and approach sydney. There were lightning strikes everywhere which made it look so good. After some time the Red Rooster loving pilot put our 738 down on Sydney's RWY 16L and then made our long taxi back to the terminal. There were a few aircraft waiting to depart 16L such as QF 737, 767 and Dash 8 plus would you believe VOQ

After a short wait for another VB 737 to start up we arrived at the gate.

VQQ and her odd winglet

>>

Inside of VUN

>>

Lovely sight just after departing BNE

>>

Great sunset

Comment

Another view

The awesome view from 21F

Blasting onto 16L

SYD-BNE
            Dec 4 2007
            DJ279
            737-700
            VH-VBL

Flight Time - 1 hr 20 mins
            29,000ft
            890 km/h

Because of our 30 mins late arrival i had about 5-10 mins to grab my bag, collect my lost bag and check-in for the flight back to Brissy. So i rushed along the concourse and retrieved my bag from the carousel, went to the lost baggage desk and showed my lost baggage reference, grabbed that bag and raced up stairs to check-in. I went to the flight closing line so i didnt have to wait, and was told by the lovely lady that the flight as delayed 30 mins anyway whic was good to hear. I said " had just jumped off another flight and was hoping it wasnt to late to check-in" she said "no its fine. Where did you just arrive from?" i said "ahhh ummm Brisbane" She said " " i laughed and told her i was on a bit of a day trip. She told me i was crazy and she couldnt get over it. i laughed and grabbed my boarding pass and went through security. I sat down the end of the Virgin concourse as i await my first -700 for the day amazingly. At the gates were VOK,VUN,VUA,VOU,VUL,VUK,VOG and VBI. A couple of days prior i had been hinted that i was to get VBL this flight but i kept my hopes up and hoped for an aircraft change. I could have know all my flights and the regos but i wanted them all to be surprises. But sure enough VBL comes in grrr. Which means this will be my 4th flight on her. This was the last Virgin departure out of sydney for he day so there werent to many people around. I boarded VBL and took my to my seat (18A) and settled in. Since it was a night flight i was ready to get some sleep. There was no one in 18B/C so i could stretch out. We taxied out and departed off 34R unlike 16L were we just landed on not to long before. The flight went quick and soon we arrived on RWY01...again. and taxied to the gate and to my luck we parked next to VH-VBY "Virgina Blue" It just summed up my day for me and what a day it was. I jumped off, headed down stairs, grabbed my bags and met my dad outside for the drvive home. I reckon i fell asleep in 25 seconds when i hit the pillow.

One last snap of VBL

>>

That concludes my flight Virgin Blue flight review i hope you enjoyed it as much as i enjoyed doing it

Comment

Very nice Nathan. Wonderful pictures and a great write up.

Comment

Very good trip report and pictures! Love the engine/wing shots from the inside.

Midwest Airlines - The Best Care In The Air

Comment

Thanks guys It sure was a fun day!

Comment

Fantastic Trip Report Nathan, i hope to see more from you. I hope you got a photo of all the VOZ/PBI aircraft at BNE, would have been quite a site.

Comment

What a well filled day, thanks again for your written and illustrated invitation to join the rides.
                      Thanks for visiting
                      *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
                      *JetPhotos*
                      Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

Working...
                      X