DFW/PHX Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DFW/PHX Question

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum. Please move it if it is.

Anyways, I may be heading through DFW on my way to PHX this March for spring break. We will be flying on Saturdays and I was wondering what is the best time to go through DFW and PHX to get the most 'interesting' A/C. What I mean is widebodies, international A/C, cargo (DC-8, 747, etc), and other A/C aside from the usual US, AA, and SW.

Any help is much appreciated.

-Chris

Well I can tell you that LH and BA get into DFW about the 230-3pm area. They each leave not too long after that. Not really sure about the cargo, though. That's really about all I know.

Comment

Originally posted by pilotgolfer
      Well I can tell you that LH and BA get into DFW about the 230-3pm area. They each leave not too long after that. Not really sure about the cargo, though. That's really about all I know.
      Any info is good info. Thanks Ryan.

-Chris

Comment

DFW always has something a little interesting floating about. Taking shots from the terminal isn't that great because the windows are so tinted. If you have time I'd just take the Sky Train for a ride or two or three around the track. I just love seeing all the AA tails lined up from the Sky Train, classic look. Then hang out in terminal D for a bit, if you haven't been its worth the visit. If your lucky ATA will have the L10 or DC-10 at the gate.

Oh another thing, if you have time and your done wondering around go relax in one of the Samsung lounges...it seems no one uses them but they are more comfortable then sitting at the gate.
        Last edited by tommyalf; 2008-01-28, 16:29.

Comment

Yeah I went through DFW two years ago on my way to PHX. I learned fairly quick that shooting from inside the terminal wasn't all that great. The SkyTrain and Terminal D became my best friends. I saw one or two ATA L1011s, BA, LH, Sun Country, and Singapore Airlines Cargo. Our timing flight wise couldn't have been any better. I was looking for the same flights on AA's website and I couldn't find them. They were
          AA 2021 RIC-DFW
          AA 1807 DFW-PHX
          AA 1032 PHX-DFW
          AA 1180 DFW-RIC

Any info for for PHX guys?

-Chris

Comment

Re:

Been through DFW numerous times now and I have taken photos from inside the terminals, without any problems. Also, even though the glass is tinted, it doesn't hinder your ability to take good shots, for even on cloudy days (check out my latest flight reviews), you'll notice your shots come out good. You just have to walk around and find good spots, they're out there. Too bad DL closed shop and left, the satellite was THE terminal to take good shots from. Also offered fantastic views of the east side of the field.

The best time to transit through DFW is between 2:00p.m. and 5:00p.m. This is when the international widebody and cargo traffic can be seen. American, Lufthansa and British Airways all have heavies headed out to Europe, plus AA also some 763s headed to Central and Latin American destinations. Not to mention Air Canada also brings in E-jets and 319s, you should also get to see Mexicana ad a few other airlines. This is also the best time for cargo traffic (Fedex, DHL, Korean Air Cargo, Singapore Cargo, LH Cargo etc) although cargo heavies fly in and out pretty much all day long. Also look for OAI and ATA DC 10s and the occasional L 1011. DFW has a morning mini-rush hour when the Asian flights leave (Korean Air 744 or 772ER and AA's NRT flight, including some widebody cargo jets), but that's not much compared to the main, afternoon rush.

A note about Saturdays though. Saturdays are the slowest days at all airports (with the exception of a few). I flew from DFW on a Saturday, and traffic levels were definitely reduced from normal. So you might not get to see all of the above, but the pax flights to Europe and other places are dailies, so you'll get to see those for sure if you go in the timeframe I mentioned. Hope this helps!

Comment

Thank you Foxtrot! You guys have been a humongous help!

If Saturdays are fairly slow, then is Sun, or Fri any better? Though I think they're more expensive.

-Chris

Comment

Re:

^You're welcome! Sundays and Mondays are typically the busiest days, but at DFW, any day except Saturday should be good to catch most of the action. Not that that Saturdays are bad or anything (DFW is a major hub after all) but it's more limited on Saturdays than other days.

Comment

I haven't taken any shots out of any terminals besides D, but I know they can turn out well. I have taken shots from the people mover stations which have turned out nicely. Even got an Omni DC-10 at DFW back over Thanksgiving. If you have enough time, I highly recommend taking the train around the airport just to see what's going on. I usually do that.

Comment

You could also play around with this a little bit and keep checking at different times of the days to see what stuff is coming in and out of there.

http://flightaware.com/live/airport/KDFW

Not a lot of 74's at DFW these days, but there are a few, including one that belongs to UPS; most of the other International carriers are using Triple 7's and Airbus Crap these days.
                    Melissa* PPL SEL
                    Official Winner of the ASF Aviation Safety Quiz 2006

Comment

Originally posted by pilotgolfer
                      I haven't taken any shots out of any terminals besides D, but I know they can turn out well. I have taken shots from the people mover stations which have turned out nicely. Even got an Omni DC-10 at DFW back over Thanksgiving. If you have enough time, I highly recommend taking the train around the airport just to see what's going on. I usually do that.
                      Can I have a few pics from the Sky Train so I know what to expect.

-Chris

Comment

Here's a few I've found in the db along with a couple I've taken myself.
                        [photoid=6155579]
                        [photoid=6125149]
                        [photoid=5903508]
                        [photoid=5729399]
                        [photoid=5729398]
                        [photoid=5884806]

Comment

Thanks Ryan!

I remember my last ride on the Sky Train was rather bumpy. Is it still good enough to get decent pics while moving? Or were those from a stop?

-Chris

Comment

Mine were taken from the stations. I know for sure at least Eric's were from the train as it was moving. Not sure about the others, though.
                            The Omni pushing back from terminal B actually almost made me late for my NW flight back to MSP. I knew it was not something normal because I saw the huge tail sticking up. I made it a couple minutes before we started boarding, though. So yeah, that's another thing. Judge your time wisely on it. You can get distracted so easily.

Comment

Re:

^I concur with pilotgolfer on that one. Especially at an airport like DFW, even with the new trains, if you don't keep one eye on the clock you might end up missing your flight. I had to do that last month as well when I went to E for some spotting before returning back to D. Actually, I remember back in '03, I was connecting at DFW and flying on DL Conn. I got so engrossed in wtaching the activity from the E satellite that I almost missed boarding, which was from E itself. That tunnel was deceivingly long.

Comment

Working...
                              X