No announcement yet.

DFW/PHX Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For PHX about the only exciting thing to come in is the BA 744 from EGLL around 5PM the top of Terminal 4 garage is the best place to shoot that flight as they tend to land on 8-26. Other than that it is nothing more than a bunch od SW and US colors all day long
    Robin Guess Aviation Historian, Photographer, Web Designer.

http://www.Jet-Fighters.Net
    http://www.Jet-Liners.Net

Comment

Originally posted by Jet-fighters.Net
      For PHX about the only exciting thing to come in is the BA 744 from EGLL around 5PM the top of Terminal 4 garage is the best place to shoot that flight as they tend to land on 8-26. Other than that it is nothing more than a bunch od SW and US colors all day long
      Yeah last time I was in PHX I just shot from the end or Terminal 3. They were leaving from 7L and taxiing down Echo so I got a few good shots, though the bad lighting ruined most of them.

-Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Foxtrot
        ^I concur with pilotgolfer on that one. Especially at an airport like DFW, even with the new trains, if you don't keep one eye on the clock you might end up missing your flight. I had to do that last month as well when I went to E for some spotting before returning back to D. Actually, I remember back in '03, I was connecting at DFW and flying on DL Conn. I got so engrossed in wtaching the activity from the E satellite that I almost missed boarding, which was from E itself. That tunnel was deceivingly long.
        Is the E satellite still open? I don't remember if it still is.

-Chris

Comment

I doubt it is. I've never been to it myself, but it would be pretty neat to go out there if you could.

Comment

Well something has come up on the weekend that I planned to leave RIC, so we will most likely leave on a Monday. I'm assuming that the best time for Mondays are also between 2 and 5. If so I have found a flight that arrives at DFW at 3:30 and leaves at 5:30. Is that enough time to see the sights or should I give us a bit more time to wander around?

-Chris

Comment

A little more time would probably be more beneficial. The time that you have now would allow an hour to an hour and a half tops to wander around. That's plenty of time for me, but like I stated previously, keep your eye on the clock.

Comment

Originally posted by pilotgolfer
                A little more time would probably be more beneficial. The time that you have now would allow an hour to an hour and a half tops to wander around. That's plenty of time for me, but like I stated previously, keep your eye on the clock.
                I couldn't find any more flights in the afternoon with more time.

-Chris

Comment

Well the time you have should be plenty. I was almost late to the gate for my SY flight back up to MSP on the 5th even though I stayed in D. I usually get out of the train every other stop or so or if I see something out of the ordinary.
                  I keep emphasizing it, and everyone else will, just keep your eye on the clock and you should be good to go.

Comment

Another question for you DFW regulars.

What runways are usually in use for afternoon arrivals/departures? And what runways do the heavies usually use?

-Chris

Comment

Re:

Originally posted by z740
                      Is the E satellite still open? I don't remember if it still is.

-Chris
                      I'm not sure if it is, when I was there I forgot to check lol. If you have enough time though just hop in one of the trains and go take a look. I have a feeling it is closed though, with no airlines using it.

Originally posted by z740
                      Another question for you DFW regulars.

What runways are usually in use for afternoon arrivals/departures? And what runways do the heavies usually use?

-Chris
                      ATC uses pretty much all runways including the crosswinds on either side of the field. That being said, it is always dependent on what the winds are doing, as is the case for any airport. Yesterday, for a while when I was listening to DFW's west tower on LiveATC, the only runway being used on that side both for arrivals and departures was 31L with strong, gusty W and NW winds.

As far as heavies go, it's anyone's guess. Heavies can land/takeoff on either side of the field, so it just depends on what runway they get assigned.

Comment

Originally posted by Foxtrot
                        ATC uses pretty much all runways including the crosswinds on either side of the field. That being said, it is always dependent on what the winds are doing, as is the case for any airport. Yesterday, for a while when I was listening to DFW's west tower on LiveATC, the only runway being used on that side both for arrivals and departures was 31L with strong, gusty W and NW winds.

As far as heavies go, it's anyone's guess. Heavies can land/takeoff on either side of the field, so it just depends on what runway they get assigned.
                        So I'm assuming that the heavies will only use the main runways, not the crosswinds, unless absolutely necessary.

Any forums members that are DFW ATC that I can PM for some more detailed info on DFW operations?

-Chris

Comment

Another question for you guys. What part of which terminal offers the best view of the West Cargo Ramp? And when are the most planes present at the ramp?

Thanks for putting up with my seemingly nonstop questions, but I want to get the most out of this trip.

-Chris

Comment

I don't really remember, but I'm pretty sure you can see west cargo from the people mover stations on top of B or the north one on D. Not sure how well you can see it, though. Other than that the best spot I usually see it from is inside D and B, mainly d, though. Not sure about when it has the most planes there, though, although my guess would probably be in the morning. Keep in mind you'll be looking across close to a mile of property in the afternoon with the sun getting in your face. That's just from what I can remember.

Comment

I saw a Singapore Cargo 744 last time I was there and it was in and out fairly quickly. I also got to see a China Airlines Cargo 744 on my second trip through there. We still haven't booked the flight yet, but I will let you guys know what time of day I'll be passing through after we book the flight.

-Chris

Comment

Working...
                              X