Aeroflot, SVO-OSL 7th of March 2008

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aeroflot, SVO-OSL 7th of March 2008

I just had my worst flying-experience ever. Of course, it had to be with Aeroflot. The pride of Russia. 85 years of flying "Successfully", as they say themselves. (Look at their safety-stats and laugh at that statement along with me!) This was my first and LAST experience flying the Aeroflot Tu-154M. What a shitty flight it was. First, we were litterally PUSHED into the boarding bus by a rather huge, masculine, short-haired woman. I tried to ask the Aeroflot "PUSHERS" a question, but all they could answer was: "Go to bus! Go to bus! Go! Go!", like they were in a hurry and had no interest in answering me in any way. I also got the feeling that they didn't understand English too well. Anyway.. Seated next to a "retired" exit-door at row 16, I immediately saw cracks in the cabin walls, paint falling off of several surfaces inside the cabin, seats falling apart, and when I tried to recline my seat, only the left side of it reclined, giving me a totally uncomfortable configuration for my back. And regarding those cracks.. They were so huge you could put your hand inside them! Well into the air after a successfull take-off (the de-icing guys never got all the ice off of the wings, which was new to me!), I noticed a strong "draft" from the exit-door I was sitting next to. We all know that at 9600 meters over the ground, the air outside isn't the warmest, and I got my share of this "fresh air", seemingly directly blowing onto my right leg, thigh, and arm. I was absolutely freezing like never ever before inside an aircraft. It was also quite visible that the exit-door itself wasn't sitting like it should have been. It was bulging out from the cabin wall. The flight itself was ok. I mean, Aeroflot brought me from point A to point B, which was good. However, the take-off was about 25 minutes delayed (which made me even more upset thinking of the rude way they treated me when they kicked me out of the terminal and into that bus in such a hurry!), and eventhough the captain informed us that we would land ON TIME anyway (Russian aircraft have Afterburners, you know..), we landed 45 minutes late. I also thought the captain made a weird promise of landing on time AND at the same time informing us that we were flying in the fantastic speed of 700 km per hour. The female f/a also gave us wrong information about the time-zone at the destination (OSL). Somehow, she thought there was a 1 hour difference in time between Moscow and Oslo, though it really is 2 hours. Maybe the crew tried to fool us into thinking there only was a 1 hour difference in time, making the late arrival seem "amazing" if we landed ON TIME even if we were delayed by 25 minutes before take-off AND flying in 700 kmph? Oh, and I was also quite very impressed with the Aeroflot magazine. Here we have a 400 paged magazine "featuring 65 pages of English text!" - WOW!!! How awesome is that? They actually care about their international passengers! In this magazine, Aeroflot managed to print some question from an American who wondered why Russian cars are so "stupid and ugly" (well, they ARE!!!). Aeroflot replied quite well with a page-long answer with a bunch of yada-yada about how the western culture is different from their own culture, etc. etc.... Which only leaves me thinking this whole question from the "American" was made up to make Americans look stupid. Well, that is anyway the general opinion of most Russians I talked to in Russia: "Those stupid Americans.." - Well, let me just assure you, my dear American friends, that I gave them my opinion about this matter! Well, well, well... I know that Aeroflot has improved their services, safety etc. over the past 10 years or so, and I have heard from friends that flying on their Airbuses is a good experience. But I am still left with my worst flying experience ever.. WHY couldn't Aeroflot care a little bit more about their old aircraft? Compared with Norwegian Air, who also flies between Oslo and Moscow, Aeroflot is a shame... Aeroflot's Tu-154M aircraft are about the same age as Norwegian's 737-300 aircraft.. Up to 25+ years of age. However, Norwegian's 737's are in much better shape. And Norwegian has much better service too... I would not go as far as saying I would never fly with Aeroflot again, cause I know their Airbuses would give me a much better experience! But I can however promise myself, and you all, that I will never, ever set my feet inside their crappy Tu-154M's again. EVER. Having that said, it was an experience I needed, and I am proud to have flown on one..

I'll add some crackin' photos soon.

Best Wishes,
    Thomas.

Looking forward to see them
    Thanks for visiting
    *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
    *JetPhotos*
    Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

Originally posted by ThomasWH
      ISeated next to an "retired" exit at row 16, I immediately saw cracks in walls, paint falling off several surfaces inside the cabin, seats falling apart, and when I tried to recline my seat, only the left side of it relined, giving me a totally uncomfortable configuration for my back. And regarding those cracks.. They were so huge you could put your hand inside them! Well into the air after a successfull take-off (the de-icing guys never got all the ice off of the wings!), I noticed a strong draft from the reatired exit-door I was sitting next too. We all know that at 9600 moh the air outside isn't the warmest, and I got my shareo of this fresh air, seemingly directly blowing onto my right leg, thigh, and arm. I was absolutely freezing like never ever before inside an aircraft. It was also quite visible that the exit-door itself wasn't sitting like it should have been.
      I'm sure you felt a draft and that it was cold however any draft you felt would have been from inside to outside as the air pressure is 8 or so PSI above the pressure outside.

(Russian aircraft have Afterburners, you know..),
      Only the TU-144 (The Concordski SST )
      Don
      Standard practice for managers around the world:
      Ready - Fire - Aim! DAMN! Missed again!

Comment

Cause most Russians don't know English anyway!
        How's your Russian? For the record, your English isn't the greatest either.

Comment

If you want service you travel first on a 5-star airline. If you want an experiance you travel on a battered up TU154. Thats why I would go on an old ruski!

I like your pun at the end of your post though!!

Comment

But I can however promise that I will never, ever set my feet inside their crappy Tu-154M
            Other people would envy you for having flown on it - so do I

I hope you did not expect a five star product on an SU T154. This is not the reason to book it.

Comment

Originally posted by flyboy2548m

LOL

good point tho.

Comment

Oh, my Russian is stellar, if I may say so myself. (My wife is Russian!)

I am sorry that you find my English skills inadequate, Sir. I was in a hurry when I wrote that post.. I do hope you can forgive me though! Just call me Borat. It's ok...

However, I think we can agree upon the fact that English is The International language of choice, not Russian. And I would expect a certain level of linguistic skills from people working in International airlines in airports of size such as Sheremetyevo.

But, seriously.. I wasn't expecting much from Aeroflot, nor their Tu-154M. To be honest, I did expect Aeroflot to be "just fine", especially after reading about how much they have improved in every way, received awards etc. in the past few years. I was just a little surprised about the fact that everything was more than just a tad worse than what I expected.

The cabin interior in this plane looked like it was abused ever since the early 1970's (!), and never, ever fixed or improved in any way. Considering this type of aircraft first flew in 1982, and comparing it with other airliners of the same age (Norwegian's B733's for example!), I was not too impressed with Aeroflot's cabin maintenance. Is it really that hard just to WASH the plastic surfaces of the overhead bins? The toilets weren't too clean, either... Surely enough, the cracks in the cabin walls could very well work as entertainment for nosy little kids. They could pull out electrical chords and play with them, or stuff their cuddly little animals into the aircraft walls. This way, Aeroflot's Tu-154M's will finally get the isolation material it so sorely needs, and the next flying passengers will not freeze their butts off at FL350.

Regarding Aeroflot's 3-star ranking.. I find it hard to believe that other great carriers such as Finnair, SAS and United all share this ranking with Aeroflot. My outbound flights to Moscow were with the 3-star airline Finnair. Needless to say, I enjoyed these flights with great pleasure. Aeroflot, also a 3-star airline, failed to match the level of comfort, service and the overall level of quality that Finnair delivered.

If I have to choose, the best part of my first Aeroflot flight was the in-flight service. The female f/a smiled like there was no tomorrow (and I guess you never know aboard a Tu-154, huh??) But the male f/a seemed quite nervous though.. I wonder if he knew something about this particular aircraft that the passengers didn't?

The Tu-154(M) sure is an interesting aircraft, though. The Soloviev engines didn't produce too much noise (Bear in mind I was seated in row 16!) and the flight itself was pretty smooth. As for as I know, this aircraft is relatively heavy compared to it's similarly-sized competitors. One thing I do would like to know is how well this aircraft would glide & handle if it experienced a total loss of engine power in-flight? Let's say, compared to a B733.

By the way.. Why do Aeroflot advertise their flights between Oslo and Moscow as being A320 operated flights, when they really fly the Tu-154M on this leg? Hmmm... I've seen this advertisement in the phone catalogue AND on the walls inside the Russian Embassy in Oslo, Norway. It's just strange, that's all...

When my friends flew on Aeroflot's Tu-154M, they couldn't tell it apart from a B737 or an A320.

I've flown on the Tu-154M. I feel both happy and depressed about it. Happy, cause I got the chance of experiencing this fine Russian piece of Aviation art. Depressed, because it (and/or Aeroflot as an airline) failed to live up to my expectations.

But hey, now at least I don't have to look for those low-fare scud tickets anymore!

Comment

I am sorry that you find my English skills inadequate, Sir. I was in a hurry when I wrote that post...
                  What, if I may ask, was the rush? You didn't think your most fascinating recount could possibly wait a moment longer?

Comment

What, if I may ask, was the rush? You didn't think your most fascinating recount could possibly wait a moment longer?
                    When you have a bad case of the Russian flu, a throat infection, and a temperature of 106.7 F, fine grammar is not your first priority. I blurted out that post to relieve my great anger!

Comment

When you have a bad case of the Russian flu, a throat infection, and a temperature of 106.7 F, fine grammar is not your first priority. I blurted out that post to relieve my great anger!
                      I see. If I had 106.7F I'd be in the hospital, not worried about how shitty Aeroflot is.

Comment

I see. If I had 106.7F I'd be in the hospital, not worried about how shitty Aeroflot is.
                        I WAS in the hospital.

Comment

Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Comment

Originally posted by FlyingPhotog
                            Au contraire, it's spot-on.

Comment

Au contraire, it's spot-on.
                              Not only is it off-topic, but you insulted him. You're skating on thin ice.
                              Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Comment

Working...
                              X