Dominican Holiday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dominican Holiday

Ok...I'll try my best to make a good TR for y'all to read.

This past spring break, I went with my family to the Dominican Republic for a relaxing vacation. Cheapest flight was on AA, which, unfortunately, was a red eye with a 7 hour layover in MIA.

Flight 1: SFO-MIA
    AA Flight 272
    Depart 9:50 pm on 3/14/08
    Arrive 5:55 am on 3/15/08
    Equipment: 757-200
    Seat 24A

I arrived at the airport at around 7. Check-in was via a self-service computer and took a long time because the machine couldn't read the passports. There was like 1 agent that night so we had to wait a while. After security, we proceeded to gate 64A, where our 757 was waiting. The interior of the plane was VERY OLD. I mean, they should at least update the C class seats, not to say the Y class ones. Departure was late, but the captain made up some time and we arrived in MIA earlier than expected. I slept the whole flight, so sorry for the lack of pictures.

Layover

We had an early breakfast upon deplaning. It was a bit expensive, but still, we had to eat somehow. I ended up sleeping in a departure lounge until about 12, then we walked over to our gate, D48

Flight 2: MIA-POP
    AA Flight 979
    Depart 1:50 pm on 3/15/08
    Arrive 3:45 pm on 3/15/08
    Equipment: 737-800
    Seat 12A

Our plane to Puerto Plata was relatively new compared to the antique 757. At least we had headrests. 12A, however was right in front of an exit row, so there was limited recline and there wasn't a good view out of the window. Captain informed us that our flight would be on-time and we promptly took off at 1:53. After the drink service, I ended up reading the sky mall magazine for the remainder of the flight. In about an hour, we began our descent.

Puerto Plata's airport is very small, so I was very surprised to see a Corsairfly 744 and a Thomas Cook A330 parked at the terminal when we taxied over. After deplaning, local musicians entertained us on our walk over to the customs area.

CONTINUED BELOW
    Last edited by sfoflyer; 2008-04-07, 03:11. Reason: accidentally pressed enter

Flight 3: SDQ-JFK
    AA Flight 618
    Depart 11:35 am on 3/22/08
    Arrive 3:30 pm on 3/22/08
    Equipment: A300-600
    Seat 12A

After a week of sun and beaches, we had to drive down to Santo Domingo, on the south side of the island. Upon reaching the airport, we found that the check-in line was looooooooong. There were like 2 flights departing at roughly the same time. After security, we walked over to Gate B2 in Terminal B. Our ride was an old A300. It was 100% loadfactor and a late departure. The takeoff was slightly strange because the engines kept on revving as if we were landing (could someone explain this). About an hour later, they served a hot meal of either chicken on rice or a pasta meal. I chose pasta, but ended up eating my mom's rice as well. AFter eating, I tuned into "Martian Child" on the TV's. Descent into JFK was smooth and we had a very early arrival, about 30 minutes ahead of schedule. Upon landing, there was clapping, which I did not expect!

Layover

With only 2 hours to spend in AA's new T8, we transited back through security and got some food to eat. Our flight was delayed, so it gave my mom quite some time to shop around.

Flight 4: JFK-SFO
    AA Flight 177
    Depart 5:45 pm on 3/22/08
    Arrive 9:25 pm on 3/22/08
    Equipment: 767-200ER
    Seat 29A

This flight was delayed by at least an hour and a half. We got on at about 6 and the Captain informed us that they had a problem with an electronic box of some sort. Then we took off at about 7. The plane was about half full. Eventually, I moved to the middle seats and made a bed out of 3 seats. After watching Enchanted, i went to sleep. I woke up at around 10, just as we were on approach. Despite our delay, we ended up arriving 30 minutes late. The crew on this flight was great in informing us about our delay status and stuff like that.

Comment

Oh, i just realized that my pictures are too big to get on here, so could someone tell how i can resize my images and post them?

Comment

Originally posted by sfoflyer
        Oh, i just realized that my pictures are too big to get on here, so could someone tell how i can resize my images and post them?
        Photo-editting software like Adobe Photoshop, Photoshop Elements, Corel Paint Shop, etc., can resize images.
        Terry
        Lurking at JP since the BA 777 at Heathrow and AD lost responsiveness to the throttles.
        How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth? Sherlock Holmes

Comment

There are also online programs to resize photos (Google: resize photos) like this one, if you don't have access to photo-editting software. :

Online image resize utility to resize pictures or photos and images quickly for free. Resize jpg, png or gif pictures and Digital Photos. We make it easy to resize photos without installing any software.

I've never used it, so I can't make any guarantees regarding how well it works.
          Terry
          Lurking at JP since the BA 777 at Heathrow and AD lost responsiveness to the throttles.
          How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth? Sherlock Holmes

Comment

No bad, 4 flights on four different type of airliners
            Thanks for visiting
            *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
            *JetPhotos*
            Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

Working...
            X