Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trinidad - When Yuh Coming?! (First Report)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trinidad - When Yuh Coming?! (First Report)

DISCLAIMER:

Please note that this is my first ever report. I've enjoyed reading the reports and reviews of many users and decided to wet my feet today. Also, I didn't get to take out any good photos, as the windows on the aircraft going and coming were very dirty (blame BA), so please excuse the lack of photographs.

Constructive criticism is always welcome. Thanks! Please enjoy.

BA 2153 - BGI-POS - March 22, 2008

My company had just advised me that I had 5 days remaining from my 2007 vacation entitlement, and had I failed to utilize them before April 1, 2008, i'd lose them. Needless to say, this got me to scheduling an impromptu holiday, but I dared not remain in Barbados all vacation long...so I glanced southwards to Trinidad for my leisure. I had been threatening to go for almost two years, but never made it, but with my favorite airline heading southwards these days, I gave it a try.

In total, I paid $533.40 for the round trip, not bad, considering the main inter-island carrier, LIAT, wanted to charge almost $700.00 for the same trip, and on a turbo prop at that! (All currency quoted in Barbados dollars, which is BDS$ 2 : US$ 1)

So, the choice was clear, the cheaper trip on the jet was the winner.

March 22, 2008 arrived and I hustled to the airport, completely forgetting I could have checked in at home and taken my time in getting there for the 3:30 pm flight. Luckily, there was hardly anyone around for the Trinidad check-in and some of colleagues at BA gave me an upgrade to World Traveller Plus, I was grateful (seat 21K, lots of leg room).

The majestic Boeing 777-236 ER pulled up at Gate 12 at BGI (Grantley Adams Int'l Airport, Barbados) about 5 minutes late, but that was no bother to me, I was dying to hop aboard the monster and head out, although it was just a 30-35 minute flight...who cares?! I was on a triple-seven!

We boarded within half an hour of the jet's arrival, and that process was quick, as only 20 or so people joined the flight at Barbados; meanwhile, about 80% of the full 777 disembarked at Barbados.

Once the door was closed (not sure what time) the jet began push back at 3:40 pm. The safety demonstration was executed and we began our taxi. The crew seemed to be new to this route and made a few mistakes where the destination was concerned...announcing we were flying BA 2153 to Tobago, Port-of-Spain...completely wrong! Ah well, I excused them.

We taxied along taxiway Alpha, and turned onto the active. As I had remembered it some 8 years before, the powerful GE-90s (correct me if i'm wrong) roared to life and off we went. Take off was powerful and we were airborne in about less than half of the 11,000 ft runway.

We climbed out on a clear afternoon, the ocean shimmering beneath as we howled away from the tiny, but beautiful Barbados (all who have never visited should someday!). We banked sharply to the right (southwards) after departing and soon were flying parallel to the south coast of Barbados, heading roughly west south westerly towards Tobago, then Trinidad.

In-Flight Service -

I didn't expect a three course meal, or any food for that matter. However, I was expecting the crew to come through with at least the beverage cart. Instead we were issued a teaspoon full of orange juice (the most acidic i've ever tasted) and left to contemplate what other beverages were being hidden away from us in the elusive beverage cart (it just sat there goading me on to come and raid it of Cokes and other sodas!)

We climbed to around 20,000 feet before beginning our descent into Port-of-Spain, just north of the sister island of Tobago. We descended through thick cloud which was shrouding the twin-island republic this afternoon, and made our way out over the North-west Peninsula of Trinidad, before banking sharply to the left and over flying the Caroni swamp area (beautiful from the sky, stunning on the ground) and heading eastwards towards the airport, Piarco International (POS).

We touched down with a bang at an overcast Piarco, the aircraft howling and screeching loudly after the rough landing...for a moment I was concerned and started to look for the "exits nearest to me"...but my fears were eased when the aircraft eventually slowed...I wasn't alone, the other passengers looked terrified. Again, the "newbie" crew announced we were in "The Port-of-Spain, Tobago, Trinidad" and the passengers chuckled lightly at the error, poor kids.

BA 2152 - POS-BGI - March 29, 2008

After a fulfilling holiday in Trinidad (YOU MUST ALSO VISIT TRINIDAD! WHEN VISITING BARBADOS TAKE A SHORT HOP DOWN) it was time to wish the island goodbye, until next time of course!

I arrived at Piarco at 4:00 for the 6:30 pm back to Barbados. Piarco is a modern facility but lacks care and planning, therefore, it seems older than it is and lacks amenities that should be present in a facility of it's class.

Check in went smoothly and I was again upgraded to WTPlus (seat 22A). I browsed the duty free concourse and then sauntered up to the gate where my majestic jet awaited her load.

We boarded, this flight was heavier coming out of Port-of-Spain than coming down, as many were heading up to London (or so I thought).

The flight taxied at 18:30 sharp, and we were airborne after a VERY short take-off run...

The flight was largely uneventful, except for the horrendous orange juice cups...I didn't even grace it with a second glance...

In no time at all we were descending into a slightly cloudy Barbados, her lights illuminating the night sky above in an amber glow, it looked like an enormous jeweled brooch sitting in the dark ocean from the aircraft. We banked sharply to the right and lined up for the runway, flying parallel along the south coast, over the hotels, restaurants, night clubs and golf courses...then, with a smooth almost undetectable bump we were in Barbados, thrust reverse deployed and that pleasing surge of power could be heard as we slowed down...this crew got it right..."Good evening ladies and gentlemen, and welcome to Barbados".

Overall - BA needs to extend the beverage service on this flight...the orange poison will not do.

Trinidad is beautiful, visit some day. Barbados is excellent, visit some day.

Hope it was okay. By the way, the title of this thread is the tourism slogan for Trinidad and Tobago..."yuh" is slang for "you".

BGI-POS was on G-VIIB
    POS-BGI was on G-VIIC

Very good. Nice report to read.

Comment

Thanks for your feedback! I'm glad you enjoyed it. Next time I'll capture some shots to 'beef' it up.

Comment

Worth the ride, thanks for sharing.
        Thanks for visiting
        *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
        *JetPhotos*
        Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

Nice report. Having done the 'shuttle' myself I can attest to the short flight time. I think they upgrade quite a few Y travellers to Y+ for this sector as most people are disembarking at BGI and not continuing. Im interested in knowing what LIAT serve on this flight in terms of refreshments? Also im sure if you wanted a soft drink you could have asked? lol. I have to say I haven't flown down the back on this sector but can say that the canapés and champagne up front are pleantyfull. (I only flew the shuttle there and back for the free booz and a fun short hop on the 777)

Comment

Canapes and champagne! I should've stowed away in the First Class galley, lol. I suppose we could've secured a soda from the cabin crew, but they became conveniently absent after tossing the juices at us, lol.

I love the 777, so the tacky refreshments aside, I enjoyed the ride. LIAT serves NOTHING these days from what i've been told, so you need not investigate much further!

Where are you from 747-436?

Comment

Originally posted by uy707
              Worth the ride, thanks for sharing.
              Certainly was! And you're welcome, I plan to do many more.

Comment

Originally posted by sky.bgi
                Canapes and champagne! I should've stowed away in the First Class galley, lol. I suppose we could've secured a soda from the cabin crew, but they became conveniently absent after tossing the juices at us, lol.

I love the 777, so the tacky refreshments aside, I enjoyed the ride. LIAT serves NOTHING these days from what i've been told, so you need not investigate much further!

Where are you from 747-436?
                Ive been to Barbados about 4 or 5 times with BA in the last year or so and once to ANU. POS once, and St Lucia both on the shuttle service. Really like Barbados and get very good rates on staff tickets on BA via the 'other half' who's an F/A for them. Hence the chance to sit up front in both Club and First most of the time. I generally fly with her on most of the Caribbean sectors she does if I can get the time off You get a fresh crew for the shuttle who do a there and back, as far as im aware the 'bars' (canisters with drinks) get locked prior to departure from BGI for the shuttle service and the crew are allocated a limited amount of drinks ect for the service. I like you would much rather do the hop on a 777 over LIAT. I'm from London but travel frequently when I can and have spent a couple of years living in Australia. Welcome to the forums by the way!

Comment

Thanks for the welcome BA747-436. Interesting to find out the carts are locked away on these sectors, never knew that.

Comment

Nice trip report
                    i went on this flight last year to POS but from LGW

Comment

Oh gawd... fuh so I de wanting to go home an ting. Haha, I have been soo homesick recently, and this post might have just pushed me over the edge. Haha, I am going to buy my ticket tomorrow - FLL-POS and return on Caribbean Airlines! You want anything? Doubles? Roti? Callaloo? Red-Mango? Oh man, I am going to gain like 15 lbs by going home!
                      Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

I always wondered what the service was like on these flights. I'm flying up to BGI on BA in about a month's time. Can't wait ! First time on the Triple 7 for me !

Comment

Originally posted by BAW2152
                          I always wondered what the service was like on these flights. I'm flying up to BGI on BA in about a month's time. Can't wait ! First time on the Triple 7 for me !
                          Have you ever flown a trans-atlantic route before? If so, what aircraft type did you use? If you have been on a 747 - the noise will be significantly less on the 777. I hope that you enjoy your trip. Take a camera - do a trip report!
                          Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

Working...
                          X