Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

trip on porter to halifax(pictures will come later)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trip on porter to halifax(pictures will come later)

hello everyone,

I recently returned from Halifax and here is my report.

I arrived at the airport (Toronto city center airport) at 09:45 on august 21/08 for an 11:40 flight to Halifax via Quebec city. after arriving I (along with my mom dad and sister) rode a 2-3 minute fair ride over to the airport. after arriving on the other side of the water we went to check in. After checking in we did not leave our checked baggage with the check in staff but we brought them with us through security. I had to remove my belt because it was to big, then we dropped off our checked baggage onto a conveyor belt and we went to find a seat in the lounge. We boarded at about 11:25, my mom and I wanted to sit beside each other because I have diabetes and she had all my stuff, so the gentleman in the seat next to me kindly moved to my mothers seat. My seat was 8B(next to the prop). the push back and taxi we quite bumpy, but when we reached the runway the pilot did not stop to request permission for takeoff but he went right onto the runway. takeoff was smooth and the flight was good. between Toronto and Quebec we got a lovely free lunch, a chicken sandwich with lettuce on it, also got Melba toast, a cookie with chocolate on it and a baby bell cheese, oh and don't forget the free drink(in my case all I could have was diet coke). descent was smooth but my ears hurt a lot. we taxied to Quebec's new terminal and waited for 5 or 6 more people to board then we were off(oh and on other thing it seemed that every person in Quebec had a pool). on the way to Halifax we got to pick a snack from a basket, and a free drink. landing in Halifax was on runway 33 but we hovered above the runway for about 30 sec before touching down. we pulled into gate 14 and we were off to our hotel(westin nova scotian).

We returned on august 25/08. we checked in for a 16:40 flight at about 12:30, we ate lunch and then went through security, then proceded to the 2nd floor. we had for hours to waste so we walked from one end of the terminal to the other and stopeded at a few shops along the way. You may think halifax is boreing but while we waited at gate 14(porters only gate) we saw a 50 year old RAF Dehavland comet refulleing plane land and taxi right past us to the hangers at the other end of the airport. a porter plane pulled in from ottawa then departed 45 minutes later and we saw an AC 767 taxi past us. finally we were our plane came from Quebec and after a 45 minute turnaround we were taxiing to runway 33 for departure. like at YTZ the pilot did not stop but went right onto the runway and we tookoff. this time we were sitting in seats 14A,B so we could see the wheel go into the wheel wel. we were served a wounderfull supper a chicken sandwich with a tariaky mushroom on it, with a greek salad and a piece of chocolate. landing in Quebec was alot less painfull this time, and we saw a german and a belgian airforce A310 on the apron. we then pushed back and we were off once again. dureing our flight to Toronto we received bread slices, humus and cheese for the bread slices and a drink.willwe landed on runway 28 in Toronto it looked like we almost hit a boat(you'll see it in the movie I'll provide later). the baggage claim area was cramped wit only on conveyor belt.

This may sound like t\Porter has no flaws but every airline does. the only flaw I fund was there was no IFE and no radio.

so how did I do for my first flight review?
    Last edited by Chris Kilroy; 2008-09-04, 00:29.
    I'm the guy... Porter Guy

Originally posted by porter guy
    You may think halifax is boreing but while we waited at gate 14(porters only gate) we saw a 50 year old RAF Dehavland comet refulleing plane land and taxi right past us to the hangers at the other end of the airport.
    I don't think that's what you saw. My guess is that it was a Nimrod, which is not a tanker. Either that or you saw a VC-10 which has nothing to do with Comets.

Comment

but when we reached the runway the pilot did not stop to request permission for takeoff but he went right onto the runway.
      In that case the PIC had already received clearance for takeoff.

Good review, would like to see the photos later. And it's always a plus when you get a full meal in a turboprop.

Comment

heres the pictures,

me and mom on the ferry accros

the prop

the cabin

the prop in action

ottawa

our plane after arrival

westjet being pushed back

air canada being pushed back

an ACA E190

POE dh8d after arriving from ottawa

expressjet E145

delta crj200

ACA 767

Jazz DH8A

dassalt falcon

heres the plane I saw, when it landed it looked like it had a refueling boom

wheel behind a wet window

landing over Quebec

landing over lake ontario on approach to ytz

Comment

heres the plane I saw, when it landed it looked like it had a refueling boom
          Definately a Nimrod. XV248 to be exact.

[photoid=5908527]

The refueling beam on the front is to refuel the Nimrod not another aircraft. The Nimrod flies up behind the refueling plane that has a beam in the back.

[photoid=5919458]
          Like that, except the Nimrod is in the back not the Spirit.

Sounds like you had a good trip.

-Chris

Comment

heres the landing movie
            youtube.com/porter

Comment

Geez, seems rough.
              My Flickr Pictures! Click Me!

Comment

About the only thing I like about this review is that DFB jersey you're wearing. Well, that and the fact that one of your photos depicts an airplane near and dear to my heart.

Comment

That Falcon is actually a Hawker. Your mother asked me to point that out to you last night.

I actually looked forward to this trip report. And I must say, I will not let you shit talk Porter Airlines, sir. No IFE? Is a newspaper not IFE? Or a safety card? And Porter pilots don't float on arrival, they are super beings bred from birth the fly the Dash-8D, and they are never off by any calculation on their approach, and land with uncanny percision each and everytime.

Other than that, I must say, I enjoyed this report more than most.
                  sigpic
                  http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

what do you mean my mother asked me to point the hawker out, do you mean your mother, and what I mean by IFE is something you listen to or watch.

oh and thanks for the comments everyone

Comment

what do you mean my mother asked me to point the hawker out, do you mean your mother, and what I mean by IFE is something you listen to or watch.

oh and thanks for the comments everyone
                      It's called sarcasm PG, and this forum has loads of it...remember, Chasen lives in Frisco and votes Dem.

Sarcasm, loads of it....
                      My Flickr Pictures! Click Me!

Comment

heres the vid from takeoff from Halifax

Comment

When the engines rev up, whats that sloshing noise accomponied by the loud moaning?

Nice video.

Cam, no sarcasim in Canada, eh?
                          sigpic
                          http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

Originally posted by Crunk415balla
                            When the engines rev up, whats that sloshing noise accomponied by the loud moaning?

Nice video.

Cam, no sarcasim in Canada, eh?
                            That's just the sound the engines on the Q make when at the power settings required for taxiing...once you take off it gets better.

Comment

Interesting. Illustration was worth the wait.
                              Thanks for visiting
                              *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
                              *JetPhotos*
                              Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

Working...
                              X