Question for the travel experts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for the travel experts...

Traveling next summer from Tampa, Florida to Prague CR in August. We have two options we are looking at, and I'm hoping to get some input on which itinerary would be better. When I say better, I mean PTV's, service, food, etc.

Option 1: Lufthansa out of JFK to Frankfurt, then on to Prague.

Option 2: Austrian out of DCA to Vienna, then on to Prague.

I've never flown either airline and am curious as to which one people here prefer. My wife has flown Lufthansa a couple times and liked them, as she travels regularly overseas to Eastern Europe.

Appreciate any opinions.

Originally posted by the dave View Post
    Traveling next summer from Tampa, Florida to Prague CR in August. We have two options we are looking at, and I'm hoping to get some input on which itinerary would be better. When I say better, I mean PTV's, service, food, etc.

Option 1: Lufthansa out of JFK to Frankfurt, then on to Prague.

Option 2: Austrian out of DCA to Vienna, then on to Prague.

I've never flown either airline and am curious as to which one people here prefer. My wife has flown Lufthansa a couple times and liked them, as she travels regularly overseas to Eastern Europe.

Appreciate any opinions.
    I'm pretty sure you mean IAD and not DCA. Now, let me ask you: how many engines do you prefer?

Comment

Indeed Spad, I do mean IAD.

I don't care about engines, though I've never flown on a 747. I've been on a couple 777's, though not across the pond.

Comment

Indeed Spad, I do mean IAD.

I don't care about engines, though I've never flown on a 747. I've been on a couple 777's, though not across the pond.
        Well, on Austrian you will likely be on a 767. Bo-ring. On LH it will be a 346. Very long, big engines and not nearly as boring.

Comment

Originally posted by Spad13 View Post
          Well, on Austrian you will likely be on a 767. Bo-ring. On LH it will be a 346. Very long, big engines and not nearly as boring.

The itinerary as of now states that Lufthansa would be a 747 and Austrian would be a 777. Now, that may change, but that's what it is now.

And you are correct, 767 = boring. Never been on an A340.

What about entertainment on each? I can't sit still for 8.5 hours without something to keep me occupied. We will probably be flying economy, but may upgrade to business class if it's available.

Comment

What about entertainment on each? I can't sit still for 8.5 hours without something to keep me occupied. We will probably be flying economy, but may upgrade to business class if it's available.
            Well, I believe that month Austrian will be featuring Heiko Hohenstein's Yodeling Quartet who will be performing their classics like "Girl from Salzburg", "Whatever happened to Adolf?" and some others, while Lufthansa will feature Franz Morgenstern with his tuba.

Comment

Dave,

if you want a quieter ride, go with Austrian. If you want the variety of airlines and aircraft, LH via JFK and FRA is the obvious choice.

And LH has two daily departures from JFK to FRA, so the first one will likely be the 346, the next one will be a 744. That's usually how LH's summer schedule is from JFK.

Also, LH is in the process of installing PTVs in every seat in all of its longhaul aircraft. All 346s already have PTVs in Y. As far as the rest of the longhaul fleet goes:

Source: http://www.lufthansa.com/online/port...29&cid=1000390

So there's no guarantee the 744s will have PTVs in Y but it's a good possibility.

If you can't sit without a PTV for around 8-9 hours though, here are some suggestions: take a book along, take whatever portable musical device you have, read the in-flight magazione, choose a window seat (my personal favourite), take a puzzle book along with you, etc.

Comment

Thanks Foxtrot. I've been on transcon flights with a window seat, a book, etc, but it still gets boring.

Appreciate the info.

Comment

Working...
                X