SYD-CEZ... Eventually!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SYD-CEZ... Eventually!

This will probably be quite long.. so will no doubt be done is stages...

I needed to be in Cortez CO.. and as a firm believer that getting there IS half the fun I booked the trip thusly...

SYD-AKL-HKG-MNL-ICN-SFO-YVR-DEN-CEZ.....

All flights were on *A with the exception of the HKG-MNL which was my first flight on CX...

SYD-AKL

NZ 718?

Starting off with my "usual" airline... a quick Trans Tasman to meet up with the flight to HKG...

Sitting up front as the upgrade cleared... Good omen for the trip perhaps?

Had this dish before.. and enjoyed it again...Basil marinted tuna salad IIRC

..and of course that amazing NZ ice cream to follow... Mmmmmmm!

Notice I started eating it before remembering to take the shot.... It's THAT good...

Had some time in AKL.. so caught up with some stuff in the lounge.. where would we be without wifi?

AKL-HKG

NZ 39

I was sorry to hear this flight will be downguaged to the 777.. I much prefer the 747!

..not least because it has more Business Premier seats.. which might explain how my upgrade cleared for the flight!

Upper deck this time....

Sadly (or kinda fortunately in a way?)... even before the meal service started I had started to feel quite ill... (a chronic but not serious health problem I have to deal with at times).. The staff were marvellous and caring... I needed to eat something.. but couldn't face a real meal.. so they cobbled together something gentle-on-the-stomach for me.... made up the bed.. and I was off to sleep....

Woke up some hours later feeling much improved.. and was immediately approached and asked if I wanted a meal or anything at all... Got to love those Kiwi FA's!

I was happy to wait it out till breakfast...

After what felt like quite a short flight we were arriving in HKG...

Next... HKG and on to MNL
    Holed up in a cabin in the woods.. with 3 years worth of canned goods.. and a whole bunch of guns.

Looking forward to read the next developments
    Thanks for visiting
    *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
    *JetPhotos*
    Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

Why.. thankee Ma'am!

I had never been to HKG before.. and even with NZ's early am arrival and CX's afternoon departure - I only had time for a very quick visit to the city... still - I was able to "do" both the Peak and the Star ferry.. so that will keep me happy until a longer visit is possible..

At HKG itself it was nice to see local aviation history commemorated.. by the display of the first aircraft to fly in Hong Kong

..amd could it be ANY easier to find transportation to the city itself?

Quite a place.. I presume this land (like at HKG) was reclaimed?

The trip up to the Peak was fun..

and the views were terrific..

Holed up in a cabin in the woods.. with 3 years worth of canned goods.. and a whole bunch of guns.

Comment

..but this IS meant to be about the flights right? So.. back to the airport we go..

I had redeemed most of my (about-to-expire) QFF points for the C class flight to MNL on CX.. this of course gave me access to the (famous?) "Pier" Lounge.. which was the point of the exercise.. I may be *Gold.. but with no status on OW I wasn't otherwise going to have this chance any time soon!

High expectations can be a problem.. but even with that I'd have to say I WAS impresed...

and here's our "ride"...

Regional Business seats - of course - but still perfectly adequate.. FA's were attentive and helpful. My sole OW flight this year was clearly going to be a good one.

Comment

An on time arrival in MNL was... a bit of a problem for me as it turned out... As that flight was a single ticket in between two others I was careful to give myself plenty of leeway time wise...

A wise move? Usually yes... but after clearing immigration etc (even with an onward ticket I apparently had no choice) I discovered the OZ check in didn't even open for .... 4 hours...

Ever sat in the departure Hall at MNL for 4 hours? Ah well.. amazingly there was wifi.. (!).. and the other "captives" were a friendly and sociable group..

Had to love the old style destination board too..

Eventually we were checked in.. and through to the multi airline (?) Miascor Lounge..

It may have been the preceeding hours sitting on a luggage trolley.. but it seemed quite a decent lounge.

Time to board the midnight-ish flight to ICN...

This guy was a hoot... he had an LH issued RTW paper ticket IIRC.. which had been extensively changed IN Europe..

The OZ staff didn't even have him on the flight.. I waited behind him for a while as they made phone calls here and yon...

..was then checked in by the supervisor who realised everyone else was waiting... Full marks to her..

He got on the plane of course so clearly some resolution was found!!

This was only my second flight with OZ.. and I was - once more - impressed.

Look at the presentation of this appetizer... Marvellous!

Food was good.. service was excellent. Too bad the flight was at such an uncivilised hour!

Comment

Next.. day stay in ICN.. and on to SFO...

Arriving in the early AM I had NO idea where anything was (having not been to ICN before)... or how to contact the hotel I had booked a day room at... Much of the confusion I will blame on the overnight travel! (SOME folks may believe that!)

Fortunately a young lady at an Information Desk was amazingly helpful... called the hotel and gave me the good news... the car would be there to pick me up in 10 minutes....

After an excellent nap, a bit of a "surf" and a long soak... back to ICN for the next leg...

Looks like something out of a sci-fi movie...

For some reason all the airports on this trip were..... empty...

Having discovered (well.. confirmed) that the SilverKris Lounge was closed it was off to the new OZ lounge..

Having never been to the old SQ lounge I was unable to make any comparison... but I thought it was quite a decent place...

Nice shower facilities... "slumber" rooms.... Comfortable seating.. and plenty of it etc I would have liked to see a better spread of hot food but the time of day may have been the cause of that.... and finding power for ones laptop was an interesting exercise.. I doubt that the operators REALLY wanted people to "open" the little hatches in the floor to find a power point!

And here she is.... SQ 16 ICN-SFO..... 777-300ER

Comment

Boarding was quick and painless...even with the rather strange "final security check" at the gate... If that is what it was..

Walking through F was - naturally - a little depressing... until I saw SQ's new C seat "in the flesh" as it were... (Wow!) Seat 11A... my nest for the next 10 hours...

Looking across......

And here I am... Now.. I am not a big guy... but that is a seriously large seat!

Comment

The front "mini cabin"

Preflight drinks were offered... as boarding continued for some time that turned into a second round.... I was most fortunate that there was a simply charming couple in the middle seats of the row...

after takeoff the gent joined his wife in her seat... why not? Plenty of room!.. and the conversation continued. For a (sociable) solo traveller that is a real treat...

Menus were handed out...

..and on with dinner...

To Nibble On

Satay .......... (as usual I believe?)

A Savoury Note

Orzo pasta salad with prawns

The Main Event

I went for the:

Wok fried chicken in sesame oil and ginger,
                braised beancurd with vegetables and chicken rice

A Sweet Note

Macadamia ice cream with mango coulis

I had to decline the cheese board, the fruit and the pralines!

Comment

Very nice TR.Even better pics!
                  August 29th will be the worst day of the year.

Comment

Very entertaining report, well done.
                    sigpic
                    http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

Great report, food looks delicious. Well done!

Comment

Thanks folks... Glad you like it...a lot to live up to here having read many of the other TR's!

turbotraker.. your PIA report was most enjoyable! Not a part of the world I'm ever likely to get to so thanks for that!

Comment

Interesting part, great pics, nice job that was worth waiting for.
                          Thanks for visiting
                          *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
                          *JetPhotos*
                          Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

....strange to say... but between the 1800 departure... the charming and talkative folks across the aisle... the 4 course meal and the drinkies...

I didn't even LOOK at the IFE.. other than the moving map display.. so I simply can NOT report on the movie/entertainment choices.. Sorry!

Was actually rather weary by this stage... so it was time to try out the bed....

I had no trouble with lying "diagonally" as some have mentioned as a minor irritant... although (as with all the flat/angled flat beds I've experienced)I'm sincerely grateful to be 5'8".. and not 6'3"! Slept very well indeed.... and in fact only woke up as breakfast prep commenced... unusual for me that...

Breakfast started with fruit...

and then a nicely prepared hot option...

Cereals/yoghurt were also available, and that hot option was one of three choices...

Sorry this one is blurred... but it gives an idea of how everyhtin fits together....

Getting close now... curious as to why the 773ER has no winglets??

..and on the ground in SFO... What a great flight!

Comment

On to YVR... and another first.. my first "E-Jet"...

Interesting layout... "1-2" config..

...This was much tastier than it looks here!

..fortunately. After serving "Grandma"* across the aisle the FA looked at "Grandpa" and me and asked what we would like.. we answered "the salmon please" at the same time and.. of course.. there was only one left... After the usual "You have it Sir", "No, you have it" exchange he insisted that the "visitor" should get first choice.... so I ate it all.... so's he wouldn't set Grandma on me....

Sorry.. I thought it was a nice little story!!!!

*(Travelling with grandchild OK!)

Arrived on the opposite side of YVR than I was used to... Much nicer!

And then it was back to reality...... in Coach on UA.

Still.... chose to pay for E+ (can you blame me after SQ16 etc??) and had the whole bulkhead row to myself...

(SO - with a light load - why not create some good will and give E+ to a *Gold for free?? SIGH!)

On the (longish) taxi out one of these appeared... Convair?? Enjoyed seeing that!

And the proverbial sea-of-cloud to DEN..

Comment

Working...
                              X