Manchester to Pakistan on PIA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manchester to Pakistan on PIA

Better late than never, here is my trip to Lahore and the Himalayas on Pakistan's nation airline:

I decided that this year my annual trip to PK would be by the national airline. After a not so good experience with Etihad last year and a really bad trip with Emirates the year before, it was time for a change.

For the first time, I pushed out the boat and opted for business class, first time for everything? Booked my ticket for the 7th May.

Upon arriving at Manchester Airport T2, realised this was going to be a very quiet and under booked flight. In the back of my mind I was hoping that I would be flying on AP-BID, PIA's newest addition.

Checkin was smooth. Made my way to the 'Gazelle' lounge for some refreshments. The not so young lady at reception welcomed me in and said, PIA will call me when it is boarding time and I will notify you.

Must say the lounge was on the small side, got bored with it very quickly.

My call came through, arrived at the gate to find people had boarded already. That's when I saw through the window and realised it was AP-BID.

As I sat down, I was greeted very warmly by the cabin crew. I was to to make myself comfortable anywhere as I was the only one in Business class today.

I proceeded to get my camera out to grab a few shots before departure. Only to be met by the cabin crew and told 'sorry there is no photography allowed on board'. Quick as a flash I explained to him that I was going to do a review of this flight for website and needed photos to illustrate my trip. He soon warmed to the idea when I showed him some photos of PIA's 747's. He gave me the OK.

[photoid=6252574]

taken whilst I was on the flight:

[photoid=6317698]

[photoid=6307201]

[photoid=6307181]

Take off was on time and very smooth. We quickly reached our cruising altitude, that's when the waft of the Pakistani cuisine started to drift through the cabin. Was looking forward to the food. The stewardess gave me a hot towel followed by a clear veg soup.
    Then came 3 tier trolley with 9 dishes. She said you may sample any or all of the dishes.
    From what I can remember there was, beef Karahi, Chicken Karahi, veg curry, fish karahi, fish curry, medley of veg, keema kebabs in tomato sauce and another veg dish.

This was my choice:

Not long after eating, I fell asleep, woke up around an hour before landing. The seats very very comfortable.

One of my favorite photos taken in Lahore. I was stood on the rooftops trying to photograph any incoming to Lahore when i spotting this young lad enjoying himself:

I managed to talk my two cousins into flying into the mountains of Pakistan, after not so much persuasion, they agreed. They had never flown before.

I rang PIA's call center and booked 3 tickets to Gilgit, located just off the Karakoram highway, the highest paved international road in the world!!!

I didn't like the rules of the fare but had to adhere to them: We had to travel to the capital Islamabad and be at the PIA office in the centre at least 24 hours before your flight. We did that and were told the flight for the day after was confirmed. We paid, spent the night at a friends and proceeded to the Islamabad's Airport on the morning of 22nd May. Upon arriving at the airport the we were advised that the Gilgit flight had been canceled due to bad weather.

I immediately re-booked our flights to another mountain town of Skardu.
    It was a very nervous 1hour wait for confirmation.

Caught this at Islamabad b4 takeoff:

[photoid=6299422]

[photoid=6307230]

[photoid=6307190]

Some scenic in flight photos

My two cousins were pretty frightened at first, especially when they realised we were above the clouds...

Anyway.....

Arriving at Skardu, I caught:

[photoid=6317627]

A few photos of the holiday complex where we stayed:

The Shangrila hotel resort

This is a cafe made from an aircraft that crashed in a Skardu valley:

Some photos of mountains/stream/lakes/rivers:

This is Lake Satpara a 'little oasis in the mountains'. Unfortunately this little Eden will disappear within the next 2 years as this whole valley will be flooded to provide much needed electricity for Pakistan.

After a day or so of rest, we moved on by road further up into the mountains to wards a small village called Khaplu. Some of the locals we met. The people of this village were very shy and didn't want to be on camera, we managed to bribe the children with sweets to get some shots. The two elderly gentlemen agreed after some persuasions:

Unfortunately the time and weather beat us from traveling further the the Kalash Valleys, but I managed to photograph this beautiful picture in our Hotel:

Our PTDC hotel:

A couple of rickety bridges we had to cross, I opted to walk across and let the jeep follow after I had crossed...

Our return air trip was also canceled for 4 days!! We had to look for alternatives modes of transport. The only one we found was a 30 seat minibus, and get this, a 27 hour drive through winding mountain roads. I was too shit scared to take any photos as I was too busy clinging onto anything I could.

All too soon my holiday was over, I flew back on AP-BHV

[photoid=6416984]

I hope your happy with this Chris, told you I would finally get round to doing it.

Please enjoy!!
    Last edited by turbotraker; 2008-12-12, 18:03. Reason: links worked

Great review mate - It looks like an amazing place. Food looks good aswell!

Comment

Originally posted by RingwaySam View Post
      Great review mate - It looks like an amazing place. Food looks good aswell!
      Cheers Sam, it was great. Fortunately there are places in Northern Pakistan where the extremist have not taken over. Hopefully places like Skardu will still welcome visitors for decades to come.

Will be off on my next jaunt in January 2009, expect another review sometime after.

Thanks for reading

Comment

Nice report and delightful pictures Trailing behind you was a pleasure.

About the DC.3, I read again recently a report published by Propeliner, the British quartely focusing on classic propeller driven airliners and transports.
        Got some more in
        Skardu,Shangrila,Resort,Lower,Kachura,Lake,Shangrilla,Shangri,La,Northern,Areas,Waqas,Pakistan
        Thanks for visiting
        *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
        *JetPhotos*
        Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

Nice trip report;was that all the food you got on the flight?
          August 29th will be the worst day of the year.

Comment

Fantastic pictures. Some of the best I've seen on a trip report. Great job!!

Comment

Thank you all for the comments.

Originally posted by BoeingKing77 View Post
              Nice trip report;was that all the food you got on the flight?
              No it wasn't but I think I had already started to tuck b4 I rembered to take photos . Iam sure I got some more pics somewhere, will have a look.

Originally posted by uy707 View Post
              About the DC.3, I read again recently a report published by Propeliner, the British quartely focusing on classic propeller driven airliners and transports.

Got some more in

http://www.pbase.com/image/3910661
              Cheers for link Alain, you have reminded me that I did promise the lads on Historyofpia.com that I would do them a trip report aswell.
              Last edited by turbotraker; 2008-12-12, 22:38.

Comment

More photos:

On our approach to Skardu Airport:

Comment

Ok yeah I was gonna say........
                  August 29th will be the worst day of the year.

Comment

My pleasure

Those late-comers are worth the wait, thanks for adding them.
                    Thanks for visiting
                    *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
                    *JetPhotos*
                    Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

Originally posted by turbotraker View Post
                      I hope your happy with this Chris, told you I would finally get round to doing it.
                      Well I can most definitely say that it was well worth the wait. Sounds like you had an excellent trip to your home country. An excellent TR indeed!

-Chris

Comment

Great flight review and supplementary photos, I enjoyed reading it.

Comment

Originally posted by Foxtrot View Post
                          Great flight review and supplementary photos, I enjoyed reading it.
                          Thanks for reading it. Look out for another report in the new year!

Comment

An excellent report indeed Murtaza, well worth the read and good images.

Jid

Comment

Originally posted by jid View Post
                              An excellent report indeed Murtaza, well worth the read and good images.

Jid
                              Thank you for reading my report.

Comment

Working...
                              X