Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The return segment, OAK-MCI, lots of pics!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The return segment, OAK-MCI, lots of pics!

Hey guys! Here is a trip report about my flight back to Kansas City

Flight: WN 2988
    Route: OAK-MCI-BWI
    Reg: N447WN
    Route:OAK5 OAK LIN PEONS INSLO DTA J84 EKR DVV
    MCK J130 PWE RBA3
    Departure: 1:55 Arrival: 7:30
    flight_track_map

Going to the Airport
    I was really sad to be coming back to Kansas, where it was 20 degrees, instead of 70! and it was also SNOWING!!!!! I'm not a cold weather person, lol

but the drive to the airport was smooth, my uncle dropped me there, I really like the way the Oakland airport is designed!

Arriving at the Airport
    Oakland International Airport is fairly easy to use, but not as easy as MCI. Check-in was easy, a typical friendly Southwest agent, and no lines! Security was a breeze, they weren't friendly, but I guess they aren't really there to be friendly... but I had no problems with them at all! I got to the airport at around noon for a 2pm departure, so I had some time! I spent some time looking for an Oakland Raiders Jersey that one of my friends asked me if I could get, and I spent a lot of time looking for the shop where they sold them. I finally found it, and guess what??? IT WAS FREAKING $68!!!!!!!!! WTF!!! and get this! IT WAS ON CLEARANCE!!!!!! It was originally $80! WTF?!?!?! WHO THE HELL WOULD PAY THAT FOR A RAIDERS JERSEY?!?!? They aren't even that good! (sry if i offended anyone...but it's true...) This just shows how overpriced stuff at airports can be!

Here are some pictures that I took while waiting for my flight to board. Sorry about the color and glare in some of them, OAK really needs to clean their windows!!!

DSCF7954

A 737 being pushed back..
    DSCF7955

I think the 737 with winglets looks sharp!
    DSCF7958

OAK NEEDS TO CLEAN ITS WINDOWS!!!
    DSCF7959

I really wish my flight departed from the newer section of T2, but I was stuck with the older section...the newer section is awesome and clean! The older section is alright...
    DSCF7962

an HP jet...probably to Phoenix, or Las Vegas...maybe Philly, or Pittsburgh...but I doubt it...
    DSCF7965

One of the seats in WN's "new" boarding area that they came out with sometime last year! I like these! The fact that they also have plugs makes me really happy!
    DSCF7966

Boarding
    I checked in EXACTLY 24 hours before! and got A25!!! How could that happen? and my mom got A35.... idk...but I at least got into the better part of the 'A' group!

the poles
    DSCF7971

N447WN at the gate..
    DSCF7967

the view out of my window.
    DSCF7982

the view out of my mom's window.
    DSCF7983

with the tower in the background!
    DSCF7984

back to my window! with an incoming bird!
    DSCF7986

DSCF7991

Taxi and Takeoff
    This wasn't a 'fun' taxi at all... not in terms of how the plane was taxiing, but it helped me remember that I have to go back to Kansas... lol, I like my friends and stuff, but I just hate KS...I would enjoy it more if it was actually interesting, and not cold...

Here is the Safety information! for those of you who like to listen to it! I ALWAYS listen to it! not b/c of the info, I know that already... I just like listening to it! idk why! lol Sorry for the quality of the videos, I had to reduce them so they wouldn't take forever to upload!

To me it was weird how they turned the plane completely around when it was being pushed back! i enjoyed it, but I'm not used to it! I guess that's the way OAK was designed! At the airports I regularly fly out of (MCI,DEN,SFO) I'm used to just doing a straight push back... this was interesting though!

Here are some pictures from the taxi and takeoff

HP Jet
    DSCF7993

Terminal 1
    DSCF7995

another shot of the HP jet
    DSCF7997

You can't be in Oakland without getting a picture of a FedEx jet!
    DSCF7999

Heading out to RWY 29
    DSCF8003

DSCF8004

A biz jet getting ready to takeoff
    DSCF8005

DSCF8007

Looking back at OAK
    DSCF8009

A WN jet getting in line behind us
    DSCF8016

REJECTED for Heat haze , lol
    DSCF8017

The bizjet took off and left...but we were still holding our position, I was wondering why we were not moving. Then I realized that an aircraft must be coming in to land, I quickly turned my camera on and pointed it out of the window, and just as soon as I did that, a WN bird cought my attention! I didn't have enough time to zoom in
    DSCF8018

DSCF8019

Then we started our takeoff roll!

Here is a video of the takeoff

Here are some pictures I got after takeoff!

East Bay
    DSCF8021

Oakland
    DSCF8024

Turning East
    DSCF8025

A shot of the Oakland Airport from the air... RWY 29/11
    DSCF8029

Oakland
    DSCF8031

East Bay. This looks WAY different than Kansas!!
    DSCF8032

DSCF8035

DSCF8038

A view of the bay, with a major sun reflection!
    DSCF8040

In-Flight
    This was another AMAZING flight on Southwest!!!! Southwest flight crews are very different from any other airlines' flight crews! They don't get mad when you push the call button, and they are happy,"fun-LUVing" people! This flight crew wasn't joking around, but it was still one of my favorite flight crews ever! They showed all 3 of WN's traits really well! (Servant's heart, Warrior Spirit, fun-LUVing attitude) Usually I am really picky about my flight crews for return flights, because I'm usually in a sour mood, but this flight crew was one of the best I have ever had!!!! (I always say that when I fly WN, because it is always true!) The Southwest cabin crew are usually really freindly also! I talked with one of the pilots at the end of the flight, and he was really friendly! When I talk to pilots/flight attendants on other airlines after flights, they are usually like "Why do you like planes? I'm in one all day and it isn't interesting at all..." but WN pilots & flight attendants are actually enthusiastic about what they do! Which is one of the things I like about them, and another reason why I will keep returning!

The flight attendants kept coming around asking people if they wanted anything! The food service on this flight was better than any other US airline (it's kinda sad how in the US, an airline giving out Nabisco products is considered in my book to be the #1 airline in terms of food...but in asia airlines give out 5 star meals in economy class...) but WN is my FAVORITE AIRLINE!!!

Here is a video of the contrail and wing! It was really cool to see it forming from inside the plane!

Here are some pictures from the flight

DSCF8049

DSCF8052

Ice was forming on the window...it ruined some of my pictures
    DSCF8079

DSCF8082

DSCF8088

The sierra nevadas
    DSCF8094

DSCF8098

DSCF8102

Some cabin shots.
    DSCF8097

DSCF8123

Here are some shots of the ice on the window
    DSCF8114

DSCF8122

The sun was starting to set, this was my first ever evening flight! (hard to believe considering I have been flying for over 15 years!)
    DSCF8153

A view of my full window...with ice...
    DSCF8158

DSCF8180

DSCF8159

DSCF8162

The sunset and then it was dark! I don't really like night time flights...not so good for photography! but I actually found it kind of relaxing seeing all of the lights and stuff go by! it looked really cool!

Arriving in Kansas City
    I was beginning to miss all of my friends & family in CA, and starting to miss CA itself... at least I was able to see my friends here in KS again ....but KS SUCKS! nothing interesting to do here, the weather sucks! and the realization of me probably not being in airplane for another year set in! lol (i'm a true aviation geek!)

Here is a video of the landing! @ Night! RWY 9 comes into view at around 5 seconds...this was a landing on 1L

Here are some shots I got arriving into Kansas City, they are pretty good considering I was using a 4 second shutter, with no tripod! holding it with my hand!!!
    DSCF8217

DSCF8218

DSCF8221

This flight was another great WN flight!
    This was another great flight on Southwest! It proved to me why I like SWA better than why I like any other airline! After the flight I was able to chat with the pilots and flight attendants, and they were really friendly! While talking to them I kind of forgot that I was back in Kansas, where it was like 20 degrees, and that I had school the next day! I stepped off of the plane happy! then I came out of the jetway sad, because I remembered all of those things, lol

DSCF8223

the flight deck of a 73NG
    DSCF8225

I stepped into the baggage claim area, and IT WAS EMPTY!!! I was standing there waiting for my bags to come out, when a lady from the baggage office came and asked me what I was doing. I told her I was waiting to get my bag. She told me everybody from my flight claimed their bags about 10 minutes ago! I didn't realize I was talking with the flight crew for that long!

Here is a picture of the baggage claim area at MCI...it was taken from the entrance of the terminal, MCI is a really small airport! it is about 60 feet from the entrance to the window!
    DSCF8235

DSCF8234

and a 4 second shutter of a YX jet! N904ME STALKS ME!!! I have seen it the past 5 times I have flown!!!
    DSCF8232

Here is a picture of all that I got from this trip!!!!

Spirit Magazine, Wings, COLORING BOOK!!!, Cocktail napkin, "Transfer" luggage tag, Normal Luggage tag, flight schedule, ticket jacket, "late check-in" luggage tag, Plastic luggage tag (NOT an SWA gift card, unfortunately!), a bag of peanuts, a bag of pretzels, and some SWA playing cards!!! I got a whole deck of them, I kept 2 of them, and gave the rest to my best friend
    DSCF8239

here is a macro shot of the wings...
    DSCF8240

I got the usual stuff from where you normally get it (magazine, ticket jacket, paper luggage tag, cocktail napkin...throughout the flight) but while talking to the pilot the flight attendant handed me a really nice plastic luggage tag, a deck of cards, a coloring book, and a pair of wings!!!! That is something that no other airline would do! I was surprised that they gave me all of that stuff! The items will make my collection a whole lot bigger and better! THANK YOU SOUTHWEST!!!

anyways, SWA is a great airline! They really do have a sense of hospitality, they treat their customers right, and I look forward to booking my next trip on them hopefully in the near future!!!

I hope you all enjoyed my trip report, I would appriciate your comments!

Very,very nice TR.Very colorful in words.Thanks for sharing this wonderful TR with us!
    August 29th will be the worst day of the year.

Comment

Originally posted by BoeingKing77 View Post
      Very,very nice TR.Very colorful in words.Thanks for sharing this wonderful TR with us!
      thanks for the comment!

Comment

Originally posted by jazzyspreetsingh View Post
        thanks for the comment!
        no prob.

Comment

and the realization of me probably not being in airplane for another year set in! lol (i'm a true aviation geek!)
          lol I know what you mean in march I got off a jetBlue flight, which was one of the best flights I've been on and thought I probably won't be on another plane for a year so sad. You don't get that feel for the plane . Yeah you just don't get the same experience with flight sim though .

Nehal

Comment

Originally posted by C-FMWQ View Post
            lol I know what you mean in march I got off a jetBlue flight, which was one of the best flights I've been on and thought I probably won't be on another plane for a year so sad. You don't get that feel for the plane . Yeah you just don't get the same experience with flight sim though .

Nehal
            lol, yeah, FS doesn't give the same experience! you can add on as many 'add-ons' as you want, freeware and payware, but still nowhere as good as the real thing!, i haven't played FS in like 4 years! lol

Comment

lol, yeah, FS doesn't give the same experience! you can add on as many 'add-ons' as you want, freeware and payware, but still nowhere as good as the real thing!, i haven't played FS in like 4 years! lol
              lol I play it a lot but I need a good freeware US Airways plane.

Comment

FS is just like flying a real airplane. Minus the real part.
                sigpic
                http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

Originally posted by Crunk415balla View Post
                  FS is just like flying a real airplane. Minus the real part.
                  yeah I know;with the newer posky and project airbus crash effects,you could lose a wing!

Comment

Hello Jaspreet,

I know I am a little late in posting this, but you did a really nice job on this report. I always find your reports very interesting to read, as you have a lot of pictures, videos, and plenty of details about the service and the flight. Your flight reviews are often some of the best on JP.net! Southwest definitely looks like an excellent airline, however, I understand that the airline has no IFE, does that make the flight a little more boring?

As for the push-back at OAK the practice of pushing the plane all the way back and then turning the plane to the correct direction on the taxi-way appears to be common at OAK. In 2005, I flew UA from DEN-OAK and I had the same thing happen to me, I guess OAK is a small airport, so they can do it. It's a shame UA was the only airline serving OAK from DEN at that time, had WN been serving OAK from DEN, we surely would have taken WN! I hope that I will get to fly WN one day, they sound so good!

I know for a fact that IAD does that kind of push back too, frankly I prefer that pushback over the ones they do at DEN, where the plane is pushed back, the pilot starts the engines, goes forward a few feet and then uses full rudder to turn and line up the plane with the taxiway.

Regards,

Rohan

Comment

Originally posted by rohank4284 View Post
                      Hello Jaspreet,

I know I am a little late in posting this, but you did a really nice job on this report. I always find your reports very interesting to read, as you have a lot of pictures, videos, and plenty of details about the service and the flight. Your flight reviews are often some of the best on JP.net! Southwest definitely looks like an excellent airline, however, I understand that the airline has no IFE, does that make the flight a little more boring?

As for the push-back at OAK the practice of pushing the plane all the way back and then turning the plane to the correct direction on the taxi-way appears to be common at OAK. In 2005, I flew UA from DEN-OAK and I had the same thing happen to me, I guess OAK is a small airport, so they can do it. It's a shame UA was the only airline serving OAK from DEN at that time, had WN been serving OAK from DEN, we surely would have taken WN! I hope that I will get to fly WN one day, they sound so good!

I know for a fact that IAD does that kind of push back too, frankly I prefer that pushback over the ones they do at DEN, where the plane is pushed back, the pilot starts the engines, goes forward a few feet and then uses full rudder to turn and line up the plane with the taxiway.

Regards,

Rohan
                      Southwest is awesome! I love them!

What do you mean they have no IFE???? They have windows! that is all a true aviation enthusiast needs! lol, jk,

I kind of wish they had IFE, but the flight wasn't boring.... i just enjoy looking out of the window and reading the inflight magazine....but I would never fly WN on a transcon flight or a flight over 3.5 hours, unless I had an iPod or something...

thanks for the comment, I really appriciate it!

Comment

Intersting reading and love the pictures and video.

Nice one!!!
                        Lee "Shaggy" Shand

Comment

Southwest is awesome! I love them!

What do you mean they have no IFE???? They have windows! that is all a true aviation enthusiast needs! lol, jk,

I kind of wish they had IFE, but the flight wasn't boring.... i just enjoy looking out of the window and reading the inflight magazine....but I would never fly WN on a transcon flight or a flight over 3.5 hours, unless I had an iPod or something...

thanks for the comment, I really appreciate it!
                          Hello Jaspreet,

You're welcome for the comment. Yes, windows and clear weather are basically all an aviation enthusiast needs, but it's sometimes nice to have a PTV to play around with, when your plane gets stuck in a giant holding pattern. I think I could last about 4 hours without IFE, but a LA-NY transcon, I doubt I would take WN because Virgin America and JetBlue would be too tempting. Once again, excellent job on the review and are we likely to see any more reviews from you in the near future?

Regards,

Rohan

Comment

Try going LAS-PANC without a ptv....now thats murder!

Comment

Originally posted by BoeingKing77 View Post
                              Try going LAS-PANC without a ptv....now thats murder!
                              Try going DEN-HNL on a 772 with no PTVs and domestic first class...that can't be fun.

Nice report. I love flying over OAK, theres almost always a plane landing on 29 right as I cross the numbers. Tho I never think to have my camera with me, and the person in the backseat never knows how to use it.
                              sigpic
                              http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

Working...
                              X