• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From The Desert to The Tropics ~ Alice Springs to Miami in Style

March 31, 2008
    Alice Springs - Sydney
    Qantas Airways Economy Class
    Boeing 737-800 VH-VYL

Located about 10 miles south of the city center, Alice Springs Airport may well be the nicest little airport I have ever been in. The modern terminal building is attractively designed, spacious and blissfully air conditioned. Check-in was handled quickly and efficiently, an area in which – from my experience, at least – Qantas excels. I asked for and received an exit row seat, so once again I offered thanks to the seating gods. Every time I’ve flown in Economy Class on this trip, I’ve sat in an exit row seat.

Once past security, passengers have a variety of options available aside from a seat in the gate lounge. Cafe Alice offers coffee, meals and snacks. The Todd River Ale House looks like a nice place to relax over a cold beer or a cocktail. Both of these establishments have access to a large outside patio for those who enjoy the sights, sounds and smells of an airport with their food and drink. A fairly large gift shop offered overpriced clothing and Aboriginal artifacts. A touristy Australian T-Shirt was selling for $26.00. Another shop sold opals and other locally made jewelry. I ignored all these and made my way to the Runway News Agency where I purchased a copy of the local news. Cops Shoot Giant Croc Chasing Drunk Swimmer! screamed the headline. I couldn’t resist. I took a seat in the gate lounge and looked with longing at the Qantas Club entry along the far wall. If only Qantas were a member of Priority Pass!

When boarding was called, we all proceeded outdoors and strolled down a nicely landscaped promenade to the tarmac. Awaiting us was a gleaming two year old 737-800 named “Wangaratta”. The airplane looked quite smart in Qantas’ attractive red, white and gold livery. I took a quick snapshot before heading up the covered stairway and into the air conditioned cabin.

Wow – Qantas’ Business Class seating is no better than Alaska’s or Northwest’s. Seat pitch can’t be any more than 37”. At least the sixteen seats are configured 2-2. Given the huge amount of money Qantas charges for a seat up front, I would have expected better. Hopefully they make up for it with a nice meal.

Continuing on past the divider and into the Economy cabin, I made my way down the aisle to my spacious exit row seat. Once again, I counted my blessings for having snagged an exit row seat because seat pitch on this 737-800 could not have been more than 31”. After exchanging pleasantries with the lady in the window seat, I reclined my aisle seat and listened as a flight attendant regaled us with information about the exit row seating requirements and then admonished me to return my seatback to its full upright position.

Despite temperatures in excess of 30°C, Alice Spring’s 7,998’ runway provided more than enough length for our CFM-56 powered 737 to win the twin battles of lift versus weight and thrust versus drag. As we soared into the clear desert air, I found myself yearning for one last view of Alice Springs. I really like this town as well as this region. Hopefully next time I can stay a month or more.

Flight time over to Sydney was announced as 2hours and 30 minutes. Clear skies and smooth air were the order of the day and I briefly considered offering the lady in the window seat a small bribe if she’d switch seats with me. Alas, all I had was $11.00 and a bag of beer nuts. Something in her countenance suggested she’d require an inducement of somewhat greater value. Then again, if she ordered a beer, those beer nuts might be pretty enticing…

As things turned out, she ordered a tea and spent the entire flight reading her book. I ordered a Coke and spent much the flight reading the inflight magazine and seeing how many questions about Australian trivia I could answer. I managed eleven. What glances I did get out the window showed a flat, rust colored landscape. I was reminded of a flight I once did on Air Namibia between Swakopmund and Windhoek.

Luncheon arrived with the time honored query of “Chicken or Beef?” Chicken, please. I was handed a packaged sandwich with a label that described it as Thai Sweet Chilli Chicken with Lettuce & Cucumbers on Panini Bread. Hmm… It was tasty enough, but for all the extra money that Qantas charges, especially on this two and a half hour flight, I was hoping for something hot.

Overall, this was a pleasant enough flight. However, Qantas is no discount carrier and in fact presents itself as a full service airline. Having recently flown each of Australia’s three discount carriers, I’d say that with the exception of the complimentary soda and sandwich, the overall comfort and service I experienced on Qantas was no better than any of the discount carriers. So the question I have to ask myself is this: on routes where I have the option of flying one of Australia’s discount carriers, should I pay all that extra money for a seat and program miles on Qantas or should I buy a sandwich and a drink (about $11.00 aboard the discount airlines) and enjoy what is often a substantial savings?

SYDNEY LAYOVER

My flight to Singapore was not due to leave until the next day at 4:30pm. Faced with a 23 hour and 50 minute layover, I needed to find a place to stay for the night. In years past, I’ve found budget accommodations reasonably close to Sydney’s airport. When I say budget, I mean my own private room (not a hostel) for under $40.00 per night. Of course, the last time I paid those kinds of rates in Sydney was in 1995. This time, using the Internet, I was unable to find anything even remotely close. So, I decided to splurge and buy a room in an airport hotel.

My first choice was the Formule One hotel, located just a ten minute walk from the airport. Formule One Hotels are like these giant prefabricated hotel kits - some assembly required. The rooms are very small but also very functional. They include a queen sized bed, a television, an air conditioner, a writing desk and a bathroom with shower. I’ve stayed twice at the Melbourne Airport Formule One and at $59.00 per night considered it a good deal. The Sydney Airport Formule One cost $105.00 per night. Not a good deal. Why not pay just a little more for a decently sized room with airport transfers?

After checking through a variety of last minute discount booking sites, I was able to find a room at the Sydney Airport International Inn for just $118.00. The standard room was described as having a double bed with a floral bed cover. Seriously, the description actually included mention of a floral bed cover. Well isn’t that the kicker! I wasn’t going to reserve the room but when my wife heard about that floral bed cover… I checked for customer reviews and read that the rooms were pretty small. Worse, I found some pictures that showed a very basic room with three single beds. Any hotel that would use a single bed for anything other than a child’s accommodation certainly isn’t worth $118.00.

Finally, I settled on the Gemini Hotel, located in the nearby suburb of Randwick. I’d stayed there two years ago for $99.00 per night and found the property very nice. This time the rate was $135.00, a new record for the most I’ve ever paid to stay somewhere overnight. I’ve flown to Europe for less. The hotel provides complimentary airport transfers and the surrounding neighborhood has plenty of interesting and affordable restaurants and bars as opposed to the overpriced ones found in an airport hotel.

After collecting my baggage, I caught a van over to the Gemini Hotel. I hadn’t eaten dinner yet but I found a nice Thai restaurant around the corner where a very tasty Panang Curry cost me just $8.00. In the morning I took advantage of the hotel’s breakfast buffet, scarfing down eggs, sausages and tomatoes with abandon whilst perusing complimentary copies of that morning’s Australian and Sydney Herald. By noon I was packed and on my way back to Sydney’s Kingsford-Smith International Airport.

April 1, 2008
    Sydney - Singapore
    British Airways First Class
    Boeing 777-200 G-YMMH

Check-in for BA16 didn’t open until 1:30pm, so I pulled up a table at the airport Starbucks and began tapping out the beginning paragraphs of this trip report. I hadn’t been to a Starbucks in Australia before and I must say I was pleasantly surprised. After three weeks of paying out large sums of money for paltry amounts of coffee ($2.50 to $3.00 for a 8oz. cup of flat white or coffee with milk) I was thrilled to hand over $3.00 for a 20oz. cup of rich, earthy Sumatran. Why Australians are charged so much for this simple and abundant beverage I’ll never know. Plenty of superb coffee is grown in nearby Indonesia and though I don’t know much about growing coffee, I wouldn’t be surprised if it were possible to grow good coffee in Queensland as well.

Interestingly, my flight back to London involved a connection rather than an enroute stop in Singapore. While this may not have set well with some people, I was quite taken with the idea of flying a 777 up to Singapore followed by a 747 across to London. British Airways has only recently introduced the 777 to Australasian skies and today’s 3,910 mile journey up to Singapore would represent my longest flight on the type. That I would be doing so in First Class was all the more exciting.

Although I’ve logged over 1,400 flights covering over 1.5 million miles in First Class, I still get excited to the point of sleeplessness the night before a long flight in international First Class. Travelling in international First Class aboard an airline the caliber of British Airways represents the pinnacle of airborne transport. It’s not just a flight, it’s an experience! The airport lounge, the comfortable suite, the welcome glass of Champagne, the seven course meal, the comfort and ease throughout the flight… We’re talking about the very best way one can fly as a passenger.

It’s not just the space or the food. It’s the training and pride reflected in flight attendants who anticipate your needs, not just come when they’re called. It’s consistently and graciously meeting the expectations and needs of an often sophisticated and seasoned clientele, many of whom have expectations commensurate with their lot in life, a lot that rarely if ever includes economy or business class travel. It’s training and pride that reflect in a meal being presented, not just served. It’s a commitment by the airline to provide only the finest food and amenities and to maintain a high standard of service that allows only the best and most dedicated flight attendants to work the First Class cabin. It’s class. First Class. It all adds up to the very best service one can expect in the air and it’s exciting stuff to experience, much less anticipate.

I sincerely hope that all of you who’ve ever drooled over a First Class menu transcript or imagined yourselves reclining over the Pacific in a plush suite will soon get the opportunity to experience this level of service as well.

One of the nicest aspects of an international First Class flight is a visit to the First Class lounge prior to the flight. The best airlines operate their International First Class lounges on a higher standard than their everyday airport lounges. A good example of this is Qantas, whose First Class lounge British Airways uses for its flights out of Sydney.

The everyday Qantas Clubs found throughout Australia are excellent lounges offering comfortable seating, stylish décor, a well stocked bar and a superior assortment of food stuffs. They are on par with and indeed even better than many of the International First Class lounges operated by most North American and some European airlines. Qantas’ new First Class lounges in Sydney and Melbourne take those standards to a new and much higher level, allowing Qantas to join airlines like Cathay Pacific, Thai, Malaysian and Lufthansa in offering the world’s finest First Class lounges.

After checking in, clearing security/immigration and passing through the duty free gauntlet unscathed, I headed up an escalator and entered a doorway marked Qantas First Class Lounge. A doorman checked my boarding pass and then directed me down a hallway to another escalator. Wow… Is this like ascending through the seven levels of consciousness? Almost. At the top of the second escalator was a large reception desk, accessed over a marble floor. Once again, my credentials were verified and I was admitted into the lounge proper.

And what a lounge it is! Housed in a new building on top of the international terminal and designed by famed Australian designer Marc Newson, Qantas’ First Class lounge is at once airy and inviting. I was immediately impressed by the big picture windows, the comfortable seating and the attractive décor. Rather than being a large rectangular room, the lounge is built on a curve, divided by floor to ceiling wooden sculptures every thirty feet or so.

Essentially, the lounge is divided into intimate zones for relaxation, dining, and business. A well stocked library and a day spa are also inclusive to the lounge. The large picture windows provide exceptional views of the tarmac below as well as good views of the city and Botany Bay. The black, white or burgundy lounge chairs and sofas are upholstered in soft leather. Comfortable recliners are available nearby the big windows.

A brochure indicated that many of the materials used in the lounge were imported from overseas. For example, the wood is American oak. The marble floor is from Italy. The wool carpets are from Hong Kong. The quartz is from Switzerland. The computers are from Japan. The passengers are from all over the world.

The Bar

>

The Self Service Buffet

Some Buffet Selections

Cheese Selection

After making a full inspection of all the facilities except the spa, I headed over to the restaurant for a late lunch. Seating 48 people at tables and chairs by Italian designer Cappellini, this restaurant’s menu is designed by Australian chef Neil Perry. I was presented a menu by my Canadian waiter (I don’t think he was intentionally imported but his accent was unmistakable to a northerner like myself) and a glass of delicious cabernet sauvignon by my Australian wine steward. Mmm…! Mmmm again! What is this stuff?! Yening Station Cabernet Sauvignon 2005, Yarra Valley. I wrote down the name and then took a few moments to peruse the menu:

ALL DAY DINING
    Available from 11:00am

Seasonal Soup
    Szechuan Salt and Pepper Squid
    Bruschetta with Soft Goats Cheese, Slow Roasted Capsicum and Thyme
    Salad of Smoked Ocean Trout, Green Beans and Rocket with Eggplant Caviar

Our Signature Club Sandwich with Barossa Free Range Chicken
    Smokehouse Bacon and Aioli

Our Signature Burger with Smokehouse bacon and Gruyere
    Dill Pickle and Tomato Chilli Relish

“Manna From Heaven” Tallegio, Caramelised Onion and Walnut Tart
    Organic Egg Omelette with Spinach, Jamon and Manchego Cheese
    Stir Fried Egg Noodles with Pork, Chilli and Black Bean
    Nonya Style Egg Yellow Chicken Curry with Crisp Eshalots and Fragrant Rice
    Grilled Swordfish with Borlotti Bean, Tomato, Basil and Preserved Lemon Salad
    Mushroom and Veal Papardelle with Truffle Studded Pecorino
    Minute Steak with Café de Paris Butter and Chips

PLATE OF THE DAY
    Please ask your host for the daily addition to the menu

SIDE DISHES
    To Compliment Your Meal

Chips
    Sweet Pumpkin Puree
    Broccolini with Colonna Lemon Oil
    Rocket and Parmesan Salad
    Signature Mixed Leaf Salad

CHEESE AND DESSERT

Seasonal Fruit Plate
    Manna From Heaven Seasonal Fruit Tart with Mascarpone
    Classic Milk Chocolate Cake with Whipped Cream
    Nice Cream Vanilla Bean, Hazelnut or Dark Belgian Chocolate Ice Cream
    Watermelon or Lemon Sorbet

Cheese, Hand Selected by Calendar Cheese Company
    Rouzaire Gratte Paille, Will Studd’s Selected Aged Comte and Calendar Cellar Ripened Blue
    Served with Accompaniments

Hmm… so many choices! I was talked into trying a plate of the calamari for starters, followed by a that day’s special, lamb with onions. Delicious!

I was tempted to try a dessert but with my flight departing in just an hour and a half, I decided to save some room for the meal on board. Instead, I had one last glass of that magnificent cabernet, thanked my waiter for a delicious meal and then retired to a recliner overlooking the tarmac. A colorful array of aircraft were in town today. Some of the planes I spotted were:

Air Calin A330-200
    Air Pacific 747-400
    Virgin A340-600
    JetStar A330-200s
    Etihad A340-500
    Thai 777-200
    Martinair 747
    China Eastern A340
    Singapore 747-400
    Malaysian 747-400
    UPS MD-11

I watched as a beautiful Etihad A340-300 was prepared for its 7490 mile flight to to Abu Dhabi. Etihad’s livery is certainly one of the prettiest to ever grace an A340. Man, I sure would love to take a seat in the Diamond Zone on that aircraft someday!

Overall, I’d have to say that Qantas’ new First Class Lounge is the nicest I’ve ever visited. Certainly one could argue that Cathay Pacific’s Wing has more amenities but Qantas’ First Class Lounge is – to me at least – much warmer and more inviting. I look forward to my next visit!

Comment

Although flights operated by Qantas and its partners are announced in the lounge, I decided to head down to the gate a few minutes early to scope out the airplane.

I enjoy checking out large aircraft like a 747 or 777 at the gate, all the more so when I’ve got a seat in the First Class cabin on one. Even when I’m not flying aboard the particular aircraft at the gate, there’s still a wonderful sense of anticipation, as if I were. I look at those forward windows and imagine that I’ll be sitting in a big comfortable First Class seat there someday. Of course, it’s even better when I’ve actually got a boarding pass showing my assigned seat as 2A.

Such was the case this afternoon and, after a brief appraisal of the aircraft, I pulled out my boarding pass, displayed it to the gate agent, and strolled down the jetway. The last time I flew a British Airways 777, I was traveling in World Traveler Plus. As nice as that was relative to an Economy Class seat, ever nicer was the invitation to bear left into the rarified air of the First Class cabin.

For one who’s logged almost 300,000 miles in the noses of a wide variety of 747s, BA’s 777 cabin seems a bit claustrophobic. The fourteen suites are configured 1-2-1 throughout , so the entire cabin seems quite crowded compared to the First Class cabin on the 747 where the first two rows are configured 1-1 due to the narrowing of the fuselage. There’s an intimacy to the 747’s forward cabin that simply can’t be replicated on a 777. That notwithstanding, the suite is exactly the same and just as comfortable, though it is positioned a bit farther from the windows.

BA’s crews normally do an excellent job of meeting and greeting their First Class passengers. One can generally expect to be relieved of outer garments and presented with a welcoming drink within a couple minutes of boarding. Today however, I was basically ignored. I watched and waited for over five minutes as people who’d boarded after me were presented drinks and generally made comfortable. Finally I approached the galley and asked if I might hang my jacket. The flight attendant was an older lady who seemed downright befuddled. Next, I asked if there might be a Herald Tribune aboard. A younger flight attendant sniffed “Sorry, we don’t have any of those American papers onboard”. Hah! Just try getting one in America, then.

In any event, I suspect we’ve got a bunch of trainees working this flight. Even more likely is that they’re a bunch of European domestic stews who were called in at the last minute and haven’t a clue about International First Class service. I can’t imagine BA would put trainees on this route and expect them to learn on the job. As such, I’m going to stick with my second choice: Larry, Curly and Moe got called from the domestic services at the last moment.

An amenities kit and pajamas were doled out, followed by limp, tepid “hot towels”. And, finally, I was presented with a glass of Champagne. I was really amazed at how poor the initial service was. Even First Class trainees wouldn’t perform this poorly!

I’m pretty sure that there are only two or three people from the BA forum would ever condescend to read one of my style of trip reports, much less ever admit that they had. Still, it’d be interesting to hear from anyone who’s had some experience in BA’s First Class (Sorry, I’ve only logged thirty-three flights in BA’s International FIRST so far) to see how often they’ve experienced similar shortcomings.

Pushback was right on time – 4:30pm on the dot. Ten minutes later we were climbing out over Botany Bay before making a big 260° turn to the south and eventually to the northwest while climbing toward an initial cruising altitude of 37,000’. A flight time of seven hours and fifty three minutes was announced with thunderstorms forecast for our descent into Singapore.

Alright, then - Let the service begin!

And so it did with the presentation of the menu and wine list. Let’s see what’s on order for this afternoon’s food and drink:

WINE LIST

Champagne
      Bollinger La Grande Année 1999

White Wines
      Chablis Grand Cru Bougros 2006, Domaine William Fevre
      Petaluma Hanlin Hill Riesling2006, Clare Valley
      Grossett Piccadilly Chardonnay 2005, Adelaide Hills

Red Wines
      Château Batailley 1996, Grand Cru Classé Pauillac
      Babaresco 2005, Bruno Roca
      Mitchelton Print Shiraz 1999, Victoria

Dessert Wines
      Opitz Goldackerl Trockenbeerenauslese 2002, Neusiedlersee Osterreich
      Warre’s 1988 Colheita Port

Spirits, Digestifs and Liqueurs
      We offer a complete range of classic and timeless spirits, digestifs and liqueurs featuring:

Gonzalez Byass Sherries
      Smirnoff Black Label Vodka
      Tanqueray No. Ten Gin
      Johnny Walker Blue Label Scotch Whiskey
      The Glenlivet 18-year-old Single Malt Whiskey
      Woodford Reserve Kentucky Whiskey
      Camus XO Cognac

DINNER

STARTERS

Fresh rock lobster with wasabi dressing

Feta Cheese and spinach filo tart

French Onion Soup

Fresh salad leaves with your choice of balsamic vinaigrette or yoghurt and mint dressing

MAIN COURSE

Lamb Fillet with Minted Jus
      Served with fresh vegetables and garlic mashed potatoes

Salmon Fish Cakes with Lemon Butter Sauce
      With oven roasted tomatoes and wilted spinach

Beef and Ale Pie
      Served with mashed potatoes, baby peas and baby carrots

Thai Chicken Salad
      On angel hair noodles with sesame ginger dressing

DESSERT

Mango cheese cake

Bread and butter pudding

CHEESE PLATE

A selection of cheese

A basket of fresh fruit

SNACKS

Penne pasta tossed with your choice of fire roasted red pepper sauce or creamy mushroom and tarragon sauce topped with freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Ice cream

Duchy of Cornwall biscuits

A selection of cheese and fruit

BEVERAGES

Twinings Teas ~ Traditional English Breakfast, Darjeeling, Earl Grey or Pure Green

Twinings Fruit and Herb Infusions ~ Pure Chamomile, Pure Peppermint, Lemon and Ginger or Blackcurrant, Ginseng and Vanilla

Coffee ~ roasted and ground, decaffeinated, espresso or cappuccino

I’d like a glass of the Riesling, please. As for the meal, hmm… Fresh rock lobster with wasabi dressing…That justsounds far too appetizing to pass up, so let’s start with that and then follow with a salad - vinaigrette dressing. For the main course I’ll have the lamb fillet. By the way, I’d like to hold off a couple of hours before dining, please. Let’s start at 7:00pm local time.

None of this was a problem for the flight attendant working my side of the cabin. She dutifully wrote everything down and returned moments later with a nicely chilled glass of Riesling and a tray of canapés.

I reclined my seat and savored the delicious wine and tasty hors d’oeuvres while taking in the beauty of the Blue Mountains 31000 feet beneath us. I love this life! If only I could do this on a more regular basis. What a wonderful job that would be!

About an hour into the flight, I went forward to use the lav and on my return I paused in the galley to ask if I might get a power port kit for my laptop. The purser happened to be up front and she took care of it. “You’ll find these located right here” she said to the two other ladies working the front galley. My suspicions were now pretty much confirmed. Except for the purser, this was not an experienced First Class cabin crew.

The sun sat low on the horizon as my table was set for dinner and another glass of wine was delivered – this time the Chablis. Regrettably, the Australian government has yet to come to its senses regarding the use of real silverware aboard flights into or out of the country, so we had to make do with the tacky plastic ware.

Rather than present a bread basket for my inspection, I was instead delivered a plate with two rolls, neither of which would have been my choice had there been one. Still, there are worse transgressions in life and cabin service so I enjoyed my wine and said nothing.

The lobster appetizer was every bit as appealing visually as it was tasty. It was accompanied by a small slaw of chopped cucumber and carrots along with two spots of little orange eggs. The wasabi dressing was a nice touch though my personal tastes would have preferred a lot more wasabi. Really though, this was a fine start to the meal.

The lamb fillet was presented next. Oops! They forgot the salad. The lamb was quickly withdrawn and replaced with a very nice little salad that included sun dried tomatoes, sliced avocado and some kind of olive which I carefully removed. Ah, I do love that vinaigrette, though...

While I was eating the salad, it’s quite possible, indeed even probable that the lamb was returned to the oven and reheated before once again being presented to me. By the time I sawed into it with the plastic knife, the meat had lost much of its natural juiciness, forcing me to have to chew hard and snap my head back to get it down. Well… maybe not that bad, but it was a pretty rugged piece of meat. Definitely not one of BA’s finer moments in the inflight dining department.

Dessert was offered and I briefly considered skipping it in favor of an after dinner sherry. Then again, perhaps a portion of mango cheese cake might assuage some of my lingering disappointment over the rugged lamb. I’m happy to report that the cheesecake was an excellent dessert. Accompanied by a cup of BA’s surprisingly good coffee and a chocolate from the box, it brought this meal to a tasty and much improved conclusion.

With slightly more than four hours still left in the flight, I decided to take a break from trip reporting and instead watch a movie. BA’s new AVOD inflight entertainment system is a huge improvement over the antiquated cyclical system from years past. I had a chance to peruse some of the offerings on my flights over to Australia and came away very impressed. The new release movie selections were vastly superior in both quantity and quality to anything offered on US airlines and I was doubly pleased to find a good selection of older films such as Francis Ford Coppola’s Godfather trilogy or Cool Hand Luke. The only real shortcoming to the new system is BA’s tiny 8” personal TV screens. Unfortunately, I expect we’ll be stuck with those until the new First Class cabin is unveiled in the next couple of years.

So – here I am all excited about checking out a movie from the new AVOD system only to discover that the 777 fleet has not yet been upgraded with the new IFE.

Sigh…

I switched the screen to the SkyMap channel and watched with interest as we approached Australia’s northern coastline. If only this were a daytime flight. I’d love to watch the transition from continent to ocean to islands large and small. Alas, it was dark outside so I plugged in my laptop and dutifully set to work transcribing the menu from this flight into this trip report. Then I watched my own copy of the 1970 classic, Vanishing Point .

About an hour out of Singapore, the crew came around to see if we’d care for a refreshment. Having just finished dinner only three hours earlier, I couldn’t imagine how more food would be particularly refreshing at this point. But what the heck – let’s have a look at that menu:

REFRESHMENTS

SNACKS

Warm savoury Danish pastry

A selection of reception sandwiches

PATISSERIE

Afternoon tea pastries

Perhaps if all I’d eaten were an Economy Class sized meal, I might be more excited about the prospect of eating some sandwiches and pastries. Still, a small plate of cheese and a glass of port might be nice…

During the final forty-five minutes of the flight, those of us sat on the left side of the aircraft were treated to an impressive display of lightning. From my limited experience, thunderstorms seem to be quite common around Singapore in the late afternoon and evening. The lightning displays have become an anticipated highlight any time I fly into Singapore. Tonight was one of the better displays I’ve seen.

Though this flight offered plenty to find fault with insofar as shortcomings to BA’s generally high inflight service standards, I’m willing to give this crew the benefit of the doubt and assume that they normally worked European flights and were rushed onto a SYD schedule due to some operational problem. As superb as BA’s First Class crews have been in the past, I can’t possibly imagine that the ladies working tonight’s flight would have been trained and deemed fit for First Class service. They were way too green.

I had an hour and a half layover until the departure of my connecting flight to London. Ideally, I’d prefer to spend a night or two in Singapore and then fly to London. And again, ideally that flight would be a daytime departure. Singapore Airlines offers three daily flights between Singapore and London. Two of them are daytime flights departing at 9:05am and 12:45pm respectively. Unfortunately, my Alaska Airlines award on British Airways does not allow a Singapore stopover and BA’s two scheduled SIN-LHR flights are late night departures. On a positive note, my flight into London would be operated by a 747.

Singapore’s Changi International Airport has a very nice First Class lounge operated jointly by BA and Qantas. The lounge was only a short walk from the gate so I headed right up there. A cold Tiger Beer and an Internet connection awaited.

Comment

April 1, 2008
        Singapore - London
        Boeing 747-400 G-BNLJ

It must have been a busy night in Singapore for BA and Qantas, because the First Class lounge was packed. I’d never seen it so busy! And, as if Singapore isn’t humid and muggy enough on a good night, being in this lounge with close to one hundred people in it was downright stuffy. Despite its many fine amenities, I was actually relieved to leave the lounge and step outside into the marginally cooler terminal where I made my way back to the gate.

For some reason totally incomprehensible to me, Singapore operates full security check points at each gate. This in addition to the security check required just to enter the terminal. Of course, I went through this in Bangkok as well, but the security check there was set up in the middle of the concourse and the process went much more quickly. In Changi, the line of humanity stretched from the entrance to gate C-16 a good forty to fifty yards up the concourse. Alas, there was no Fast Track for First Class passengers. Ah well, the sooner I get in line, the sooner I’ll be done with it.

Once onboard the aircraft, my overall quality of life improved dramatically. Relieved of my jacket and daypack, I wasted no time in removing my shoes, changing into a set of pajamas and settling into seat 2K, my home for the next thirteen hours. Soon I was sipping from a wonderfully chilled glass of Champagne and tossing back macadamia nuts like Hawaiian royalty. The flight attendants moved unobtrusively through the cabin delivering drinks and amenity kits, hanging coats and generally helping the passengers settle in for a comfortable and pleasant journey ahead. This was a seasoned First Class cabin crew and it showed. When BA’s First Class cabin crews are at their best, I think they compare favorably with anyone in the industry.

Following a surprisingly brief delay to remove baggage belonging to two passengers who didn’t show up for the flight, we pushed back from the gate and headed off to the runway. Ten minutes later, we were still taxiing. Geez, we ought to be getting close to Malaysia by now! During the extended taxi, I couldn’t help but ponder the fate of our two missing passengers. Really now, how do two people check in, check baggage, and then not make the flight? Did they fall asleep? Both of them? Were they detained at immigration or perhaps at one of the security check points? Were they transit passengers who suddenly decided to stay a night in Singapore? We’ll never know…

Finally the Captain swung our big ship around and put the coals to the four big Rolls Royce engines, whereupon we verily thundered down the runway on an exhilarating 52 second takeoff roll. Eight minutes later, as we climbed through 21000 feet, the crew swung into action. A round of nicely scented hot towels were presented followed shortly thereafter by the menu and wine list. The wine list was unchanged from the flight into Singapore, so I reacquainted myself with a glass of the Chablis and opened the menu to page 2:

DINNER

STARTERS

Green tikka prawns with a mango and coriander salsa

Warm polenta terrine with mushroom a la grecque and truffle oil

Sweetcorn soup

Fresh salad leaves with your choice of balsamic vinaigrette or Parmesan cheese and roast garlic cream dressing

MAIN COURSES

Grilled Fillet of Beef
        With shiitake mushroom curry and panko rice cake

Lobster Thermidore
        With truffle oil risotto and asparagus

Chicken and Leek Pie
        With seasonal vegetables

Confit of Duck and Fois Gras
        Presented atop French beans with a bitter orange dressing

DESSERT

Chocolate and ginger torte with Mascarpone cheese
        Warm apple pie with vanilla ice cream

CHEESE PLATE

A selection of cheese
        A basket of fresh fruit

LIGHTER OPTION
        Something light and tasty served quickly to maximize your rest time

Pan-Seared Marinated Black Cod
        Served on a bed of freshly pickled wild mushrooms and long young broccoli with yuzu dressing

SNACKS

Bacon roll with tomato ketchup

A selection of reception sandwiches

Penne pasta tossed with your choice of tomato and basil sauce or cheese and chive sauce topped with freshly grated Parmesan cheese>>

A selection of biscuits

BEVERAGES

Twinings Teas ~ Traditional English Breakfast, Darjeeling, Earl Grey or Pure Green

Twinings Fruit and Herb Infusions ~ Pure Chamomile, Pure Peppermint, Lemon and Ginger or Blackcurrant, Ginseng and Vanilla

Coffee ~ Freshly roasted and ground, decaffeinated, espresso or cappuccino

Although I’ve never enjoyed flying in the middle of the night, I can certainly appreciate the logic behind these late night departures out of Singapore. With a flight time into London of twelve and a half to thirteen hours, there’s plenty of time to enjoy a late dinner, then get a good night’s sleep and awake refreshed to a hot breakfast and an early morning arrival at Heathrow. For those originating in southeast Asia or those who live in England or Europe, I’m sure this schedule must diminish the effects of jetlag considerably.

Back in Sydney, the time was approaching 3:30am. In years past, I’ve gone to bed immediately after takeoff from Singapore. Since I’m only transiting London and connecting to another long flight, there’s no point in trying to adjust to the eating and/or sleeping patterns there. Instead, I’ll usually sleep about six hours, then have dinner and spend the next six hours enjoying the flight via movies, a good book or a good trip report. Tonight, I decided to go with the flow and eat first, then sleep. This decision was made easier by the fact that I wasn’t all that tired. Secondly, I had an eight hour layover at Heathrow, which included picking up and rechecking my baggage. All things considered, I might as well eat now, sleep later.

The crew is well aware that most everyone wants to eat as soon as possible, so little time was wasted in setting the tables and presenting the first course, which for me was a succulent selection of greentikka prawns with mango and coriander salsa. The prawns so were tender and flavorful I could have happily ordered another dozen of them and called it a meal. Instead, I had a salad, this time trying out the Parmesan cheese and roast garlic cream dressing. Not bad, not bad…

And for the main course ~ Lobster Thermidore. The name alone exudes luxurious decadence, and the addition of truffle oil risotto only served to heighten that perception. The plate I was presented certainly lived up to my expectations. The red lobster tail accented the accompanying green asparagus, brown mushrooms and yellow lemon nicely. There was plenty of tender lobster meat mixed in amongst the delicious risotto and with the addition of two slices of garlic bread, this meal was just about as close to perfect as you can get inflight.

Dessert? Might as well go whole hog! I’ll have the Chocolate and ginger torte with Mascarpone cheese, please. Accompanied by a cup of decaffeinated coffee, this made a delightful ending to one of the best meals I’ve had aloft.

Plates were cleared, lights were dimmed and water bottles delivered. Now would be a good time to watch a movie. Thankfully, this aircraft was equipped with BA’s new IFE and so I turned from the SkyMap to the movie channel and perused this month’s offerings. The new system will allow passengers to choose from among 100 films and TV programs, 70 CDs, 20 games, radio channels and audio books. The film library included about thirty of the latest films along with an impressive collection of classic films, foreign-language films and even a children’s section with films, TV programs, music and stories designed for those under 12.

Although there were a number of recently released films I would like to have seen, I wasn’t too excited about seeing them on an 8” screen. So, now was a good opportunity to revisit an older film I’d already seen. Godfather II was an easy choice for me because I’d never seen the entire movie. As well, I believe it’s the only sequel ever to win Best Picture honors at the Academy Awards.

Unfortunately, time once again caught up with me and I found myself falling asleep about halfway through the picture. Ah well, I’ll just have to rent it someday. Ten minutes later, I was sleeping soundly, not to awake until about an hour and a half out of London. Perhaps the wonderful aromas of breakfast breads and coffee had roused me from my slumber or was it the snoring from the lady in front of me? Either way, the breakfast service was in full swing and so I headed off to the lav to freshen up and change back into my travel clothes.

I owe an eternal debt of gratitude to whoever invented the fruit smoothie. Hopefully she was a nice hippie chick from southern California in the 1960s. In any event, that first smoothie is one of my favorite parts of BA’s breakfast service and thankfully, the crew had whipped up enough for refills. Now then, as to breakfast proper, where did I put that menu? Ah, there it is, under the newspaper.

BREAKFAST

STARTERS

Chilled fruit juice
        An energizing fruit smoothie
        A selection of yogurts
        A selection of cereals
        Fresh seasonal fruit plate

BAKERY

A warm selection of warm bread and breakfast pastries

MAIN COURSE

Full English Breakfast
        Scrambled eggs, grilled bacon, pork sausages, sautéed mushrooms, grilled tomatoes and hash brown potatoes

Cheese Omelette
        Accompanied with your choice of grilled bacon, pork sausages, sautéed mushrooms, grilled tomatoes and hash brown potatoes

Braised Shanghai Noodles
        Served with shredded vegetables

Let’s start with a pot of your strongest coffee. Then I’ll have a fruit plate and the full English breakfast. This combination has worked well for me in the past, so no need to deviate from course now. Once, while flying Cathay Pacific, I got a bit adventurous and ordered some kind of noodle breakfast. All I can say is I think you need to grow up eating noodles for breakfast in order to truly enjoy them first thing in the morning. I think I prefer mine later in the day, thanks.

What can I say about a fruit plate and the full English breakfast that I haven’t already said in ten previous trip reports? It’s a classic and filling breakfast. The healthier option would be the fruit plate and some yogurt but when inflight, especially in First Class, I prefer a good cooked breakfast. Besides, there’ll be plenty of yogurt and cereal breakfasts awaiting me when I get home.

Unfortunately, there was no need for Heathrow controllers to place us in a holding pattern, so this wonderful flight came to an end after twelve hours and thirty-seven minutes.

Comment

HEATHROW LAYOVER & TERMINAL 5

Our on time arrival meant I faced a layover of eight hours and twenty five minutes until my onward flight to Miami was scheduled to depart at 1:40pm. For many people, this would be a nightmarish scenario. Not me. When I was a kid, I used to bicycle thirteen miles each way out to Denver’s Stapleton International Airport where I’d roam the concourses for hours on end watching as aircraft like Western 720Bs, Braniff 727s, TWA 880s, Frontier 727s and DC-9s from North Central, Ozark or Texas International boarded well dressed passengers and flew off to fascinating sounding places like Calgary, San Antonio, Boston, Tucson, Minneapolis, Waterloo or Amarillo. Watching these colorful airliners come and go, it was easy to imagine myself someday flying aboard each and every one of them. Back then, I’d only flown about forty times, mostly aboard 707s and DC-8s from Continental, TWA and United Air Lines. Never would I have imagined that today, some thirty-five years later, I’d have flown all of those aircraft and many more, on over one hundred and twenty five different airlines. That’s what passion and dedication will get you.

These days, it’s not often that I actually look forward to a long layover spent entirely in the airport. After logging 3.5 million miles aboard more than 3,800 flights, I’ve spent an awful lot of time in airports. The passion that once couldn’t get enough of flying and airports has since mellowed to the point where I enjoy my time in airports but I no longer go out of my way to spend any more time in them than I have to.

That said, today I was very much looking forward to my eight hour layover at Heathrow because my Miami flight was scheduled to depart from BA’s new Terminal 5. I wanted time to check out the facilities and lounges in the new 8.5 billion dollar terminal, especially the new Concorde Room.

Unfortunately operations in the new terminal, which had opened just five days earlier, got off to a very rough start. Terms like “meltdown”, “disaster” and “catastrophe” were used early and often to describe the first days of its operation. The main problem was caused by baggage that didn’t transfer fast enough or at all from other terminals. Additionally, staff seemed inadequately trained and/or prepared to deal with the new procedures and systems ironically designed to expedite check-in and departures. The end result was many cancelled flights, lots of furious passengers and a 32 million dollar loss for BA through the first four days of operation.

The news was filled with stories about all of this in the days leading up to my departure from Australia. Still, I was undeterred. The terminal was open, the lounges were open and regardless of all else, I still faced that eight hour layover. What else was I going to do? Hang out in Terminal 1? God forbid!

Given that the main problem lay with baggage transferring from Heathrow’s other terminals, I decided to check my backpack from Sydney only as far as Heathrow. There I would collect it and personally transfer it over to Terminal 5. A simple solution if ever there was one.

Everything went exactly as planned, too. Upon clearing immigration and customs in Terminal 4, I and my backpack headed over to the nearly deserted Arrivals Lounge for a shower, a cup of coffee and the morning paper.

As more and more early morning flights from North America arrived, the lounge began to get truly crowded so I gathered my gear and began the surprisingly easy transit from Terminal 4 to Terminal 5.

Judging from some of the reports I’d read on FlyerTalk, I was led to believe that getting over to Terminal 5 might be a difficult and time consuming proposition. Perhaps it is from Terminals 1-3, but from Terminal 4 it was quite simple. I boarded the Heathrow Express train for the short ride over to Heathrow Central Station, then transferred to another train going over to Terminal 5. There was no charge for this transfer and the entire process took about fifteen minutes. An elevator takes you from the T5 train station up to departures, though interestingly leaves you just outside the terminal on a covered landing. From here you get your first perspective on just how large and impressive the terminal building is.

T5 is the largest free standing building in the UK, covering the same amount of area as Hyde Park. Interestingly, the site on which the terminal sits was previously occupied by the Perry Oaks Sludge Works, a sewage processing plant. The archeological recovery project on the terminal site is the largest ever in the UK. Over 80000 artifacts were found, including pottery, flint blades and a hand axe from about 3000BC. Recovery work continues so stay tuned. Perhaps there’ll be a Dig Report in Archeological Digest.

As I entered the terminal, I was immediately impressed by how bright and spacious the interior was. Glass and steel have been used liberally to maximize natural light and the result is quite striking. Through all the glass are superb views of the airport and runways. This is a huge improvement on the claustrophobic clutter of Terminals 1 and 3, and probably 2 as well though I’ve never been there.

BA’s First Class check-in area is located way down at the far end of the terminal. It looked to be a bit smaller than the FIRST facility over in Terminal 4, but it was no less efficient. Given the recent and well publicized baggage handling problems at T5, I was a little concerned that checking in five and a half hours in advance of my flight might result in my baggage being placed off to the side and forgotten amidst the many as yet undelivered bags still in the terminal. The agent assured me that this would not be a problem, then applied a Priority tag to my pack and sent it on its way to baggage central. I was then given directions to the security checkpoint and the Galleries lounge pavilion.

Surprisingly, not only did the security checkpoint I used not have a Fast Track lane, but the employee I spoke with there seemed to know nothing about Fast Track lanes. Totally clueless. Had there been a larger crowd and thus longer line, I might have pursued this issue further but the line was reasonably short, so I proceeded on through without incident. I particularly appreciated not having to remove my laptop, though shoe removal is still required.

As a premium class passenger, I am fortunate to have a nice lounge to spend my idle time in before departure. For everyone else there are shops or, in today’s more sterile terminology, retail outlets. After all, one could hardly call a Harrods, Tiffany or Prada a mere “shop”. In all there are 144 retail outlets and judging from the three outlets I briefly visited, you’ll find few if any bargains. Buyer beware.

There are also plenty of restaurants available including that old T4 favorite, the Caviar House. One thing you won’t find in T5 are fast food chains. There’s not a McDonalds or Burger King in sight. So, while you’re likely to eat better here, you’ll also pay quite a bit more for that privilege.

On to the Galleries Lounge Pavilion. BA has spent the equivalent of 120 million US dollars developing the six lounges in Terminal 5. That’s an amazing figure in its own right and one that I’m confident will never be matched by any US airline, even by one quarter. BA calls these “Gallery” lounges because a sizeable portion of the money spent on them has gone towards the purchase of commissioned art installations, from paintings to illuminated sculptures and moving wallpaper.

British Airways’ new Concorde Room is very nice. It’s not magnificent, it’s not awe inspiring, it’s not extravagant, it’s just very nice. I mean that in the most positive way. There’s an understated elegance and comfort to the place that I find extremely appealing. It’s not gaudy or overtly opulent like a couple of the Asian lounges I’ve read about or seen pictures of.

In area, the T5 Concorde Room is easily twice the size of its namesake in T4. It’s probably even larger, though this perception may have been enhanced by the fact that the facility was practically empty when I entered. It was about 9:00am and there were perhaps five visitors.

The seating areas were divided into small, intimate settings. The couches and chairs looked very comfortable indeed. I would imagine that under more normal conditions, when there might be fifty or sixty people milling about the lounge, one could still enjoy a fair sense of privacy in any of these seating areas.

Outside of the main lounge area is a big airy terrace. There’s a real sense of having stepped outside when you visit this terrace but of course you’re merely on a large platform inside the massive confines of the T5 terminal building. Plenty of seating is available, once again in small cozy groups.

I found it more entertaining to take a position along the railing and look out on all the activity below me on the main departures level. The view was impressive, to say the least.

The Concorde Bar looks like a nice place to enjoy a glass of Champagne or a top shelf cocktail. The gold countertop coupled with a collection of glittering modern chandeliers hanging above the bar combine to lend a bright cheer to the ambience. This is further enhanced by the over one hundred bottles of Champagne neatly stacked on the bar back. Unfortunately, the bar was deserted this morning or I might have joined one of my fellow passengers for a glass of Champagne despite the early hour.

The Concorde Restaurant offers cozy lamp lit booths and tableside waiter service. Having recently eaten a full breakfast on the flight in from Singapore, I wasn’t hungry enough for an immediate visit but I did make plans to stop by for a light lunch before my 1:40pm departure to Miami.

One Concorde Room innovation that I did not check out were the three cabanas ~ small, hotel style rooms which can be booked by appointment for rest between flights. I wasn’t tired, though if I had been I would have appreciated the privacy that these rooms provide. Then again, the chances of a lowly Alaska Airlines Award Traveler like myself ever securing one of those rooms in advance are so minimal as to be unworthy of further consideration. I’ll just set up camp under a tree out on the patio, thanks.

Having taken the measure of the lounge and come away duly impressed, I thought now would be a good time to sit down and write about it all. Of course, I hadn’t even finished writing about my flight from Alice Springs to Sydney yet, but what the heck. I’ve been having so much fun enjoying these flights and my travels in general that all I’ve really managed on this trip report is a collection of notes. I’m hell on taking good notes, though. I could probably come back and, using just my notes and memory, write this trip report in a year. Still, times like this, comfortably ensconced in a comfortable lounge with a few hours to spare make for some of my better writing so I’ll write myself into Sydney and see how far I can get on the flight up to Singapore before I break to visit the Concorde Restaurant.

One thing I didn’t notice in the Concorde Room was a Business Center, specifically an area with separate desks or alcoves where I could plug in a laptop and type away with some measure of privacy. I asked about this at the reception desk and was directed to the Boardroom. This room looks to be exactly what its name implies: A place for the board of directors to meet. A large table with seating for eight is equipped with sunken computer monitors that open up with the touch of a button. The seats are genuine Concorde seats and just sitting in one brought back fond memories of my Concorde flight back in 1979.

On the downside, this room offered no real privacy and the temperature inside was set way too high. I relocated to a comfortable high backed chair beside a fire place and set to work on this report.

Disaster struck at about 11:00am. Apparently some pipes had backed up, rendering first the bathrooms and then the kitchen unusable. Since the material backing up was actual sewage, the lounge staff decided it would be best if the entire lounge pavilion were simply evacuated and shut down. I never smelled a thing but dutifully gathered my gear, accepted the apologies of the lounge staff and headed out into the main terminal.

I was told that the Galleries Club Lounge at the northern end of the terminal would be available to me, so I headed over there straightaway, stopping not once at any of the many retail outlets enroute. Why anyone would buy anything other than books, magazines or a last minute forgotten item like a toothbrush or plug adaptor is incomprehensible to me. Aside from paying inflated prices for just about everything, you’ll also have to lug your purchases around with you. No thanks.

The Galleries Club Lounge - North is worlds apart from the refined elegance of the Concorde Room. I felt like I was in a gate lounge with food. People were everywhere, sitting, standing, feeding, looking for places to sit. Frankly, if you weren’t hungry you’d probably find a quieter spot out in the main terminal. I had a quick cup of coffee with a couple of reception sandwiches and then did exactly that.

Overall, I came away very impressed with BA’s new terminal. Its ignominious opening is a shame for all involved and I’m sure that more than a few heads will roll over at BA and BAA because of it. I’ve little doubt that its early problems will be the exception rather than the rule and once this facility gets itself sorted out, it should serve BA very well for many years to come. I look forward to my next visit.

Comment

April 2, 2008
            London - Miami
            Boeing 747-400 G-BNLS

Flight 209 to Miami was scheduled to depart from gate 29. Unfortunately, this gate is not located in the main terminal but rather in a satellite terminal accessed by train. A sign warned that once you were in the satellite terminal, returning to the main terminal and back would take 45 minutes. Apparently the train back to the main terminal drops passengers on the other side of security. Another reason to stay in the main terminal is that the satellite terminal is almost completely devoid of shops and restaurants. Although a Premium Class Lounge is planned for this building, it’s not scheduled to open for another month. Aside from gazing out the window at your waiting aircraft or taking a seat in the gate lounge, there really isn’t much to do in this terminal.

Once on board the aircraft, I requested a glass of Champagne and began to get settled in for the eight hour and fifty minute flight to sunny south Florida.

I was thankful to once again be seated in my favorite place aboard the 747 – Suite 1A – right up in the nose with the first three windows all to myself.

Behind me were another 72 windows and an additional 328 seats, most of them offering decidedly less comfortable accommodations. There’s no point in dwelling on those depressing figures however, so I savored my Champagne and opened the menu and wine list to consider this afternoon’s food and beverage offerings:

Comment

WINE LIST

Champagne
              Bollinger La Grande Année 1999

White Wines
              Puligny-Montrachet Vielles Vignes 2005, Vincent Girardin
              Château de Fesles, Anjou Blanc Sec “La Chapelle” 2004
              Beringer Napa Valley Sauvignon Blanc 2006

Red Wines
              Château Léoville Poyferré 1996, Grand Crus Classé Saint Julien
              Barolo Le Albe 2003, G.D. Vajra
              Baileyana Syrah 2005, Grand Firepeak Cuvée, Edna Valley

Dessert Wines
              Opitz Goldackerl Trockenbeerenauslese 2002, Neusiedlersee Osterreich
              Warre’s 1988 Colheita Port

Spirits, Digestifs and Liqueurs
              We offer a complete range of classic and timeless spirits, digestifs and liqueurs featuring:

Gonzalez Byass Sherries
              Smirnoff Black Label Vodka
              Tanqueray No. Ten Gin
              Johnny Walker Blue Label Scotch Whiskey
              The Glenlivet 18-year-old Single Malt Whiskey
              Woodford Reserve Kentucky Whiskey
              Camus XO Cognac

LUNCH

STARTERS

Liam Tomlin’s salad of poached lobster with mango slices on iceberg lettuce and cucumber

Blanched tender tips of asparagus with warm Hollandaise sauce

Spicy parsnip and apple soup with parsnip crisps

Fresh salad leaves with your choice of vinaigrette or fine herb and mustard dressing

MAIN COURSES

Michel Roux’s Fillet of Beef with Cherry Tomato Sauce
              Served with vegetable ratatouille and Parisienne potatoes

Catch of The Day
              Please ask your crew for the details of today’s fresh fish selection with your choice of sage butter or puttanesca sauce served with potatoes dauphinoise and roast parsnips

Braised Lamb Shank with Shallot Jus
              Served with buttered Savoy cabbage and rosemary mashed potatoes

Caesar Salad with Prawn and Crayfish

DESSERT

Traditional custard tart with gooseberry confit
              Michel Roux’s warm lemon pudding with lemon syrup

CHEESE PLATE

Cornish Camembert – An unpasteurized cow’s milk cheese from Cornwall, Camembert features a creamy texture with a full flavor.

White Stilton with Ginger – The flavor of this creamy cheese is balanced by the addition of ginger

Dovedale Blue –This cheese from Derbyshire is mild, creamy and dipped in brine rather than dry salted

A basket of fresh fruit

SNACKS

Tandoori Chicken Baguette

Rocket ravioli with creamy mushroom sauce or Mascarpone cheese and sun dried tomato sauce
              Served with garlic and herb croute

A selection of biscuits

A selection of cheese and fruit

The first perusal of the First Class menu is one of the best parts of the flight for me. Oh yeah… I’ll definitely start with that lobster appetizer and if I’m lucky, maybe there’ll be enough asparagus left to have some of that as well. I’m not sure I even know what a parsnip is, but it’s been awhile since I’ve had any soup so I’ll try that, too. Hmm… the entrée choice will have to wait until I find out what the catch of the day is. That cheese looks pretty good, too.

What’s that? Another Champagne? Why certainly! Man, this is a great way to start a flight – sipping Champagne and pondering delicious foodstuffs – before the aircraft has even pushed back from the gate! Macadamia nuts? But of course!

Soon enough, we were climbing though the gray London skies and bursting through thick cloud cover into the perpetually sunny world of the troposphere. The first round of beverages was served and I started with a glass of white wine. Canapés followed shortly thereafter, all of them washed down elegantly with the delicious Puligny-Montrachet.

Forty minutes into the flight, the luncheon service started in earnest. Tables were set, more wine was delivered (I’ll try the California Sauvignon Blanc this time, please) and bread was offered from the basket. My, that sourdough roll sure looks good.

The lobster appetizer was delivered moments later. Compared to the spectacular lobster salad I was served on last month’s flight between London and Singapore, today’s version was a bit more… modest. The LHR-SIN version, described in the menu as a Lobster, mango and pink grapefruit salad with honey and coriander dressing remains perhaps the finest appetizer I have ever been served inflight. Today’s salad, prepared in the same Heathrow flight kitchen, was comparatively plain. Perhaps chef Liam Tomlin is into minimalist cuisine, but I suspect that even he would have to give the nod to the LHR-SIN version for visual appeal and overall quality.

Thankfully, passenger demand for the asparagus appetizer was such that providing me with one would not be a problem. It was pretty good but I would prefer it served hot rather than cold.

Parsnip soup. Hmm… well, it was pretty good. There was a hint of apple cinnamon in the background. An eclectic but tasty choice. Remind me to go look up parsnip someday. I think it’s some kind of vegetable, though it might possibly be a small rodent instead.

Upon returning to refill my wine glass, the flight attendant noticed me taking pictures of the food. Unlike some, I have no compunctions about this, and will shamelessly fire off five or six photos of each menu item. My standard line, which I utilized today, is that I have a friend who is a flight attendant for United and so I thought I’d take a few photos to show her what a proper First Class service is all about. I’ve used this line a lot, and many FA’s are happy to hear it. Conversely, there are probably just as many who think I’m weird. What the hell - I probably am a bit weird. So what. Honestly, I could care less. Now would you mind moving out of the light for just a moment? I want to get another shot of that asparagus.

The Catch of the Day was described as Halibut. I’ve eaten plenty of that in Alaska, so I opted to go with the Fillet of Beef. I haven’t had any beef yet on this trip – at least none prepared by BA. It was a good choice. I was presented a nicely plated and attractive collection of foods. The steak was cooked medium, and was accented rather nicely by the cherry tomato sauce. I really liked the vegetable ratatouille and the potatoes were pretty good, too, though I would have thought that with a name like Potatoes Parisienne, they might have been a bit fancier than a simple collection of little round roasted potato balls. The best potatoes I ever had on an airplane were served in First Class aboard a Continental 727 flying between Miami and Houston in 1982. They were called Potatoes Berny and were like mashed potatoes that had been breaded and then lightly fried. Delicious!

Dessert was a fairly plain custard tart with gooseberry confit. I was more curious about the goose berries than anything else. They were okay though neither as colorful or flavorful as a raspberry or blueberry confit would have been.

After the meal, I relaxed over a small plate of cheese and a glass of Warre’s 1988 Colheita Port. Honestly, how many of you ever follow a meal at home with cheese and port? I reclined my seat a bit and took in the view out my window. Ahh… this is truly flight at its finest – a satisfying meal, a pleasant glass of wine and a large, comfortable seat from which to enjoy the beautiful sunny afternoon 38,000 feet above the planet. Life is good.

Strange, but I’ve always wanted to fly this route between London and Miami. Going to Miami has nothing to do with it. It’s more this mental picture I’ve always had of cruising over the central Atlantic Ocean as opposed to the north Atlantic Ocean.

In my vision, the day has that warm mid-afternoon glow to it and the ocean is a deep, beautiful blue as opposed to the cold sunshine and grayish blue of a flight over the North Atlantic. Looking out my window, I was happy to see that the vista was exactly as I’d imagined.

Eight and a half hours is a long time to spend on an airplane, especially a daytime flight when you don’t feel like sleeping. Were this thirty years ago, I’d be heading upstairs to the lounge about now.

Instead, I reclined my seat to almost flat position, tossed on a blanket, and pondered my lot in life. One question I particularly enjoy revisiting is “Where was I one year ago today?”

Today is April 2nd, 2008. Here’s where I’ve been on this date over the past six years:

2008 Flying from London to Miami, First Class aboard British Airways

2007 Riding the train from Arica, Chile up to Tacna, Peru

2006 Driving from Page, Arizona through Monument Valley to Durango, Colorado

2005 Flying from Vancouver to Hong Kong, First Class aboard Cathay Pacific

2004 Flying from Melbourne to London, First Class aboard British Airways

2003 Mileage running on Northwest Airlines DTW-BNA-MEM-DTW-LAX-SEA

2002 Traveling from Port Arthur to Hobart in Tasmania

What will I be doing next year on this date? Hopefully something as fun and entertaining as I’ve done over the past six years.

About an hour and a half before our arrival in Miami, I awoke to a darkened cabin and the distinct sound of snoring from the man back in 3A. Thank goodness he wasn’t snoring earlier in the flight or I’d never have gotten to sleep. With the arrival of the A380 to BA’s fleet in 2012, perhaps BA might consider installing a separate location for those who snore louder than 70db.

A check of our location on the SkyMap showed us cruising along at a sprightly 543 mph about 80 miles southwest of Bermuda. Soon it would be time for the second meal service:

ENGLISH AFTERNOON TEA

SNACKS

A selection of sandwiches featuring:

Crayfish and rocket on wholemeal
              Chicken and tarragon mayonnaise
              Savoury cheese and red onion
              English cucumber with soft cheese and dill

Chicken and tomato chutney lattice pie

PATISSERIE

Plain or fruit scones served warm with clotted cream and strawberry jam

Chocolate Florentine, chocolate éclair and classic Victoria sponge

The chicken and tomato chutney lattice pie sounded good, so I requested one of those and a plate of scones. What we call scones in America don’t begin to compare to a proper British scone served with clotted cream and jam. The clotted cream is what really makes them special, particularly with a good cup of coffee. Or tea if you live on the other side of the Atlantic.

The flight attendant soon returned to inform me that unfortunately, the caterers had loaded a warm savoury Danish pastry in place of the chicken and tomato pie. Unfortunately, indeed. If you look up “savoury” at dictionary.com, you’ll find the following definition: “Having an agreeably pungent taste” From past experience with BA’s “savoury” Danish pastries, I can tell you they are mostly a lot of flaky bread with very little filling from which I presume the term “savory” would apply. Hmm… I’ll have the sandwiches, please.

And so I did, savoring a crayfish and rocket sandwich as the captain announced our gradual descent into Miami. 19,000 feet below us, the sunshine glittered brilliantly off the deep blue ocean. Small puffy clouds dotted the 6,000 foot level. As we banked into the western sky and lined up for our approach into Miami International, I took in the beautiful Florida coastline and considered what a treat it is to be able to see it from this perspective. Down below, the combination of buildings, traffic and over population often combine to distract from the gentle beauty of Florida in its natural state.

We touched down smoothly at 6:05pm local time. Despite a flight time of eight hours and forty-seven minutes, I would gladly have turned right around and flown this aircraft back to London. And beyond. Granted, you’re dealing with a guy who once flew 104,000 miles in three weeks, spending an average of 11.97 hours per day in the air. Obviously, I enjoy flying. And, as any of you who also enjoy flying know, doing so in International First Class is truly something special.

Though BA’s First Class product may not currently provide the quality of seating and amenities now being offered by airlines like Singapore or Emirates, it is still a good, solid service that should rank comfortably amongst the top ten in the industry. The comfort, food and service were outstanding and well worthy of the 150,000 miles expended. My thanks go out to all of the BA staff and crewmembers who looked after me. I look forward to experiencing the new First Class product when it’s unveiled in 2010.

So there you have it, gang. I hope you've enjoyed this little report and wish you all an upgrade on your next flight.

Happy Contrails ~

Comment

Excellent flight review! Just wondering, did you type up your review in MS Word because you kind of abused this smiley? I'm sorry to hear about your sub par 1st class experience on your BA flight from SYD-SIN. By the way, how did you find the noise levels on the 777 compared to those of the 747-400?

Congratulations on the excellent review,

Rohan

Comment

First off, thank you for helping me kill 45 mins at work reading this fantastic trip report. Great pictures. I felt like I was along for the trip. I've only had the opportunity to fly 1st class 2 times and both were domestic flights. I'm going to Maui in March 1st class. Should be alot of fun. Thanks again for the report. Great job.

Comment

Originally posted by rohank4284 View Post
                    Excellent flight review! Just wondering, did you type up your review in MS Word because you kind of abused this smiley? I'm sorry to hear about your sub par 1st class experience on your BA flight from SYD-SIN. By the way, how did you find the noise levels on the 777 compared to those of the 747-400? Rohan
                    I did type the review on MS Word and it was extremely time consuming to transcribe it to this site. I never use smileys and am curious - did a bunch of them show up as you read this report? Is there a better way to transcribe reports written on MS Word?

As to noise levels, the 777 is definitely louder than the 747. The First Class cabin of the 747 is so far ahead of the engines that the overall sound is akin to standing next to a stream.

Scott, enjoy that First Class flight to Maui. Who are you flying on?

Comment

Flying United..Baltimore to Chicago to Honolulu. I'm already excited..lol

Comment

Originally posted by Seat 2A View Post
                        I did type the review on MS Word and it was extremely time consuming to transcribe it to this site. I never use smileys and am curious - did a bunch of them show up as you read this report? Is there a better way to transcribe reports written on MS Word?

As to noise levels, the 777 is definitely louder than the 747. The First Class cabin of the 747 is so far ahead of the engines that the overall sound is akin to standing next to a stream.

Scott, enjoy that First Class flight to Maui. Who are you flying on?
                        Thank you for responding. It's really interesting to see that precieved aircraft noise levels really do depend on where you sit. I have flown BA many times in World Traveler and World Traveler Plus on the Boeing 777-200ER both (RR and GE) and the Boeing 747-400 versions. Unfortunately, I've never had the pleasure of flying BA First or Club World.In World Traveller and WT+ the Boeing 777-236ERs with the RR engines were very quiet, followed by the Boeing 747-400, and then the Boeing 777-236ERs powered by the GE90s. The Boeing 747-400 definitely sounds much louder than a stream in economy class. I agree, with your earlier point that First class is much further away from the engines on a Boeing 747-400 than on a Boeing 777.

It's kind of funny to see that Qantas only gave you a sandwich on 2.5hr long flight, looks like they're making scignificant cutbacks, because they used to give much more. Oh and yes, your report does have a lot of this kind of smiley: . However, I know a few members have had this problem when they type their report in MS Word, unfortunately, I don't how to help you fix it. Nevertheless, it was still a pleasure to read your trip report.

Regards,

Rohan

Comment

Interesting report, nice food gallery extending an invitation to a cullinary travel
                          Thanks for visiting
                          *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
                          *JetPhotos*
                          Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

Hands down the best trip report I have ever read!

Comment

Working...
                            X