(Pilots Review). - London Heathrow to Nice return

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (Pilots Review). - London Heathrow to Nice return

Hey, as some of you may know, im a captain for Bmi (British Midland), so i thought it might be good to write about the flight i did yesterday.
    ENJOY!!!

Route : London Heathrow to Nice
    Airline : Bmi
    Aircraft: A319
    Sched Departure :11:55
    Actual : 12:22
    Sched Arrival : 13:35
    Actual : 14:02

So i left home at about half 9, and i walked through to meet the rest of my crew, who i have flown on this route with many times before.
    First Officer - Matthew Hughes
    Pursur - Laura Conway
    Crew 1 - Gemmah Oldham
    Crew 2 - Sebastian Pole
    Crew 3 - Jessica Gonzales

We watched out plane arrive in from Durham, and then we boarded onto the A319, which is unusual as the route is usually an A320.
    The previous crew had left the heading and altimeter etc at what they had used, so we changed them to ours:
    Altitude : 36000 (not set)
    Heading : 175 (not set)
    Speed : 270 (not set)

So then the Laura came over the PA that the passengers' bus had arrived, so we prepared for an on time departure.
    The passengers boarded easily and we were all set to depart, and when the door was closed, one of the ground crew said that there was a faulty cap on the fuel tank.
    So while they fixed that the crew went around with water to the pax, and to us.
    Then when they fixed it we were off immediately, and as Matt was flying the plane, that ment i was in command of the radio.
    I requested T/O and ATC said wait for the incoming planes, a BA 757-200 from Manchester, BA 747-400 from Sao Paulo and Buenos Aires, and finally a LOT 737-700 From Krakow.
    Then we taxied on and Matt powered her up, we just made sure that it was all fine with the Fuel tank etc, and madean unusualy long take off, lifting off just before the end of the Piano Keys.
    I put the gear up and contacted departure.
    "Midland 461 turn right heading 175, climb and maintain 12,000"
    "Turning 175 ,climbing one two thousand,midlnd 461"
    Untill 12,000, it was pretty uneventful, apart from the odd bit of turbulence.
    Then when we got to 12,000:
    "Midland 461 climb and maintan 29,000"
    "Climbing29,000 Midland 461"

So we did.
    Then Gemmah came in with coffee and newspapers for us,and breakfast.
    In the air, it was pretty normal, Contacting the usual, Shoreham,Le Harve,Paris,Marseille centers.
    After about and hour and a half, "Midland 461 descend and maintain 14,000"
    "Down to 14,000, Midland 461"
    So we did, and Gemmah came to collect our rubbish,and all the stuff she gave us, and then went out to help Laura with Business class.
    When we got to 14,000:
    "Midland 461, Descend and maintain 2,500"
    "Down to 2,500, Midland 461"
    When we got to 7,000:
    "Midland 461, Contact Nice Approach on 119.200"
    "Over to 119.200, Midland 461"
    "Nice Approach, Midland 461, with you, descending through 6,700 for 2,500"
    "Midland 461, Nice Approach, roger"
    When we got to 2,500:
    "Midland 461, airport is at your 2 'o' clock, please report the runway in sight"
    "Nice Approach, Midland 461 has the runway in sight"
    "Midland 461 cleared visual landing runway 6R"
    "Cleared to land, Midland 461"
    Matt used the manual approach system to land at Nice as there is no ILS,
    And he made a small right turn, and lined up,he questioned his height and told me we might need to go around, i told him just to continue, and he made another small right turn and used the rudder to make the plane face the runway.
    We hit the ground hard, and i deployed the spoilers and the thrust reverser,when the reversers were full i put the spoilers down and then slowed her slowly, and then Matt turned off the runway.
    I put the flaps up and made sure everything was off, then:
    "Midland 461 contact Nice Ground on 119.120"
    "Over to 119.120, Midland 461"
    "Nice ground, Midland 461 request taxi to the gate"
    "Midland 461, taxi to gate 14B using taxiways Juliet, Zulu and Alpha."
    Matt heard and taxed straight to gate 14B
    "Roger, thank you, Midland 461 out"
    We parked up, and i put the parking brake on,and turned the engine off.
    The door opened and the passengers waved to us in the flight deck as they disembarked.
    Then a boy about 13 years old asked Jess if he could come in the Cockpit,Jess askedme and i said yeah sure.
    The boy came in, he seemed shy, and asked about what the different dials were,and told us he wanted to be a pilot when he was older.
    We chatted for a bit then he left and said a big THANK YOU to us all.
    The cleaners took their time boarding, but they did a great job in under 10 mins.
    I prepared the Controls and got ready for the return.

Route : Nice to London Heathrow.
    Airline : Bmi
    Aircraft: A319
    Sched Departue : 14:25
    Actual : 14:52
    Sched Arrival : 15:15
    Actual : 15:17

So i watched the passengers board, and immediately i could tell that the flight was PACKED.
    The passenger manifest said 131 passengers.
    We tried to get off ASAP.
    The door shut, and i contacted Nice to see if we could leave.
    "Nice ground, Midland 462 request Departure IFR to Heathrow"
    "Midland 462, Taxi to and hold short of runway 6R, When there Conatct Departure"
    When we were pushing back, i took some time to look at the other aircraft,a Braathens 737-300 to Bergen, SAS A321 to Somewhere is scandinavia i guess, BA 737-400 to Gatwick, Easy Jet A319 to Gatwick and a Air france A320 to Amsterdam.
    Matt taxed over to 6R.
    "Nice Departure, Midland 462 IFR to Heathrow Ready to go, runway 6R"
    "Midland 462, hold short runway 6R , a boeing 737 is on final"
    "Hold short runway 6R, Midland 462"

It was a Lufthansa from Munich.
    "Midland 462 cleared for take off, runway 6R"
    "Cleared for take off, runway 6R, have a good day"
    Matt lifted her off and turned right back towards home.
    The weather there was beautiful, and even though it was "hot" in London, 12 degrees,here it was 19.
    Anyway i didnt have to do much in the climb.
    "Midland 462 climb and maintain 36,000"
    "Up to 36,000, Midland 462"
    Obviously Lunch was being served down in France.
    Nothing to do, We were bang on course, climbing, all under control.
    Gemmah again came in with different newpapers,coffee and other things like lunch.
    I contacted Paris, Le harve,Shoreham, then back to Le Harve, then onto London.
    "London center, Midland 462 Is at Flight level 360, with you"
    "Midland 462, we have been expecting you, descend and maintain 9,000"
    "Down to 9,000, Midland 462"
    We descended, slowly,i put the seat belt sign on and then it got a bit bumpy.
    We got out of the turbulence, and then Matt took over from the auto-pilot, and turned right to left up with the runway.
    We flew right over London, 02 Arena, London eye, London city airport , Griffin Park etc...
    "Midland 462 Cleared to land, runway 27, number 5 to land"
    "Number 5 to touch down, Midland 462"
    I told the crew to sit for landing and then we lined up.
    Matt put the finishing pieces of ino into the ILS and then sat back to let the plane do the rest.
    It was a smooth landing, and we hit the ground gently, Matt put the spoilers up and reversers on as usual.
    Flaps up and then we turned off the runway.
    "Heathrow ground, Midland 462, Request taxi to the gate"
    "Midland462 , taxi to Charlie 12, via taxiways Whiskey and Bravo"
    "Thank you, Midland 462 out"
    Matt Taxied over to C12, in between a United 777 and an Iberia 320.
    The jetway connected, the door opened and the passengers disembarked.
    Me and the crew left and shut the door behind us, this baby wasnt going anywhere for the rest of the day.

Well i hope you enjoy this, if you like my Passenger view flights then please tell me. If you like these then ill be happy to write more.

THANX FOR READING !

On APR 24th you wrote:

Originally posted by sammie738
    As some of you may know,im a pilot, and i will be writing a report on one of my flights (Im a pilot for Monarch)

On APR 30th, you wrote:

Originally posted by sammie738 View Post
    Hey, as some of you may know, im a captain for Bmi (British Midland), so i thought it might be good to write about the flight i did yesterday.
    Good God man, In less than a week you forgot who you worked for, or you very rapidly changed jobs.

Look, if you're going to pretend to be a pilot, you have to at least get some of the simple things right. For instance, the runways at NCE are 4/22 L/R and there are ILSs to them. You also made up that GND frequency...here's a hint, while not always true, most Ground freqs begin with 121.XX. The Captain doesn't work reverse thrust when the F/O is flying, and since most planes have autospoilers, there's no need to manually deploy them. Pilots don't climb to "29,000 ft", they don't say things like "request taxi to the gate" and they sure as hell don't say "Midland 462, out".

This is probably the only truthful part of this Post, only you're not the pilot and you're not Jess:

Then a boy about 13 years old asked Jess if he could come in the Cockpit,Jess askedme and i said yeah sure. The boy came in, he seemed shy, and asked about what the different dials were,and told us he wanted to be a pilot when he was older.
    Parlour Talker Extraordinaire

Comment

Bloody hell I'd love to be you - You know when FS11 is coming out, your a pilot for two airlines and still get time to play FSX while flying all over the world.
      Last edited by RingwaySam; 2009-05-01, 00:26.

Comment

do i smell a faker???

Comment

Yes, but I doubt Sammie will be coming back to confirm it

Comment

Originally posted by sfoflyer View Post
            do i smell a faker???
            Absolutely not....because every airline flight only has one heading, altitude, and speed that they fly during every flight

If you guys want, next flight I do I'll do one of these for real. Possibly with pictures if its a slow enough day

Comment

"Midland 461 turn right heading 175, climb and maintain 12,000"
              "Turning 175 ,climbing one two thousand,midlnd 461"
              Untill 12,000, it was pretty uneventful, apart from the odd bit of turbulence.
              Then when we got to 12,000:
              "Midland 461 climb and maintan 29,000"
              "Climbing29,000 Midland 461"
              You do know that in Europe transition altitude is 6,000' and not 18,000', right? So, it would gave been climb to FL120, then FL290, I also doubt they gave you a heading of 175, but I'll go with it for now.

Originally posted by sammietheposer
              Matt used the manual approach system to land at Nice as there is no ILS,
              And he made a small right turn, and lined up,he questioned his height and told me we might need to go around, i told him just to continue, and he made another small right turn and used the rudder to make the plane face the runway.
              We hit the ground hard, and i deployed the spoilers and the thrust reverser,when the reversers were full i put the spoilers down and then slowed her slowly, and then Matt turned off the runway.
              I put the flaps up and made sure everything was off, then:
              "Midland 461 contact Nice Ground on 119.120"
              "Over to 119.120, Midland 461"
              Possible go-around, flying with the rudder, hit the ground hard, the F/O taxies off the runway, are you 8 or 9?

We parked up, and i put the parking brake on,and turned the engine off.
              What happened to the other engine? Did you leave it running?

"Nice ground, Midland 462 request Departure IFR to Heathrow"
              "Midland 462, Taxi to and hold short of runway 6R, When there Conatct Departure"
              So, you never talked to Clearance Delivery or to the Tower, only Ground and Departure?

"Cleared for take off, runway 6R, have a good day"
              Matt lifted her off and turned right back towards home.
              Why did he lift her off, wasn't it your leg?

Comment

Originally posted by screaming_emu View Post
                If you guys want, next flight I do I'll do one of these for real. Possibly with pictures if its a slow enough day
                Sounds good...

Comment

I can't breathe for the smell of bull$hit! Wake up from dreamworld!...

Comment

Before I even read any of the responses to this post I was asking myself...wtf???? I'm not even a pilot and I thought either this is a person who doesn't use english as a first language, or an 11 yr old kid. As I continued to read, it didnt take long to realize I was reading a post from an 11 yr old. Kids will be kids I guess. It was actually kind of funny to read though.

Comment

Ok where's Sammie at???? Im dying to read the next trip report. It's been a long week and I need a chuckle. I wonder who he's working for this week?

Comment

Originally posted by screaming_emu View Post
                        Oh, Joe, please don't. I can just see it now: woke up at the Best Western in Dingbatville at the buttcrack of dawn. The hotel van driven by a guy name Bubba-Ray took us (myself, Captain Darryl, F/As Shamiqua and Brittanie) to the airport. When we checked in at ops the agent told us the fuel truck driver didn't show. Or actually that he showed, but was told to git seeing as he was drunker than Tammi Wynette in Branson. So then we thought we'd be cancelled, but Brittanie said she could fuel the plane seeing as she used to fuel her great-granddady's Alice-Chambers back home. As she went off to get the fuel truck, Darryl, Shamiqua and I got on the airplane. It reeked of shit. Turns out one of the pax from last night couldn't be bothered to actually walk to the lav. Darryl and I started gagging, but Shamiqua seemed to handle the experience OK. We then realized the APU was deferred, so no air conditioning to get rid of the smell. We asked for a GPU. When one of the rampies came over with what looked like a cart with a hamsterwheel on it, we were kinda surprised, but not as surprised as we were when he took three skunks out of his pocket and showed the onto the wheel whose hub had a cable and a plug coming out of it. Sure enough the green AC AVAIL switchlight lit up. Before we knew it, Brittannie was finished fueling the plane. She didn't get it quite right, but for the short hop from Dingbatville to Dumbasstown we figured we'd be OK. Then out pax started coming out of the terminal. The few of them that weren't wearing sweatpants were wearing torn denim shorts with wifebeater shirts. And so on and so forth....

Why does that sound so eerily familiar?

Comment

Originally posted by scottkin View Post
                          Ok where's Sammie at???? Im dying to read the next trip report. It's been a long week and I need a chuckle. I wonder who he's working for this week?
                          Porter.

Comment

Glad to see our BMI pilots can at least spell, well maybe not.

And glad to see that we now use "Centers" in Europe, and interested to hear there is now a "Shoreham" and "Le Havre" (Le Harve) control centre too. It's also nice to see that our pilots have time to find out the origins and destinations of every flight they see landing and taking off when about to take off!

Also I could have sworn that pilots would use "Flight Level 360" rather than "Thirty-six thousand feet"

Well i hope you enjoy this, if you like my Passenger view flights then please tell me. If you like these then ill be happy to write more.
                            Ah so you're not a pilot any more, you're a passenger! That would make more sense

Oh and of course, there is always the dead giveaway - BMI don't even fly LHR-NCE any more, so you must have been incredibly lost if you ended up there BD461 is the Alicante flight - it's about 200 miles away mate

Comment

Well thats 5 minutes of my life wasted.
                              Originally posted by EZYFlyer View Post
                              BD461 is the Alicante flight - it's about 200 miles away mate
                              Why did Bmi Cancel LHR-ALC-LHR?...Because im sure Sammie would love Alicante,so small,so easy to lie about
                              Theres strong, then theres Army Strong!
                              www.goarmy.com

Comment

Working...
                              X