• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The New Delta Part II

The new Delta part II
    Part I: Brussels-Atlanta-West Palm Beach
    Part II: West Palm Beach-Atlanta-Brussels

Part I: showthread.php?t=46991

25/10/2008: DL 0125 Brussels-Atlanta Delta Air Lines Boeing 767-200 (ex-gulf)
    (25/10/2008: DL 0791 Atlanta-West Palm Beach Delta Air Lines Boeing 757-200)
    25/10/2008: DL 0848 Atlanta-West Palm Beach Delta Air Lines Boeing 757-200
    29/10/2008: DL 0990 West Palm Beach-Atlanta Delta Air Lines MD-88
    29/10/2008: DL 0124 Atlanta-Brussels Delta Air Lines Boeing 767-200 (ex-gulf)

Background:
    Needing to make another trip to the USA end October. I started my airfare search by end of August. Continental was expensiver than normal. Such was most US based carriers. SWISS came with a good deal from Brussels to Miami via Zurich. Eventually I found a better fare (500 euros) on delta.com. I was hoping to travel from Amsterdam check out the 767-400 service But I decided to leave from Brussels instead since it was a short trip.

Pre-departure:
    After a nice few days in sunny Palm Beach it was time to head home to foggy and cold Belguim. Awoken at 630 packed, ate and enjoyed a little more. At 945 we left to the airport 30 minutes later we arrived at the Delta check in desk.

@ the Airport
    At check-in I used the automatic kiosk wich checked me in all the way to BRU. After that was done I strolled down the airport. As most activity is pre-security. Even some large windows and some nice sofa’s where there. I settled me in for some spotting. Traffic consited of most major carriers flying to their hubs. At 1155 my plane landed and took a pic of it being docked in at 1203. N987DL would be the plane who would take me to Atlanta. After that I passed thru security wich was a little slower than excpected. Wich made me only board at the final boarding call for our flight.

The flight:
    Wednesday 29 October 2009
    West Palm Beach (PBI/KPBI)-Atlanta (ATL/KATL)
    Delta Air Lines 0990 (Air France 9069, Alitalia 3105, Northwest Airlines 4819)
    Mc Donnel Douglas 66 N987DL Economy 29A
    12h25-12h47 (Gate C1; wheels up on runway 9L at 12h54)
    14h35-14h27 (Gate B14; wheels down on runway 28 at 14h17)
    Cruising Altitude: FL 330
    Load factor: 90% in Y
    Est Flying time: 1hour 40 minutes
    Routing: West Palm Beach-Orlando-Jacksonville-Atlanta

Boarding the plane I was greeted by a F/A with a very southern accent. Being one of the last pax to board. I immediatly walked to my seat. 29B was empty and 29C was occupied. About the moment I walked in the door was closed and 10minutes later we pushed back and lifted off at 12h54

After liftoff we climbed straight to FL 340. IFE was about none on this flight. Wich was no matter at all on this short 1,5hour trip to Atlanta. Halfway the flight we recieved the standard Biscoff cookies. Wich seemed to be very similar to our Belgain Speculoos cookie (recieved this tip from a poster in the part I of this trip.)

Decent in Atlanta started at 1400. being entertained by the engine noise our decent was pretty fast. Landing on the farest runway 28 at 1417. This was my first landing on this runway. Made a short hold at runway 27L to let the 767 N1501P land, this plane would later be flying to Stuttgart this evening as DL116 (And also had taken me from BRU to ATL in february 2007). At 1427 we docked at gate B14. On my way I made a quick cockpit shot before being on my way.

First of all I went to one of the shoe shine machines (just love them) in the B-concourse. After that i proceeded to the E-concourse food court to grab me a bite to eat. By now it was 1540 so I started to stroll down the concourse. Traffic was only Delta. KL622 to Amsterdam was severly delayed today. LH444 to Frankfurt did not seem to be operating and BA2226 to LGW was moved to a later departure time

However the variety of color shemes made it look like a lot of traffic. N184DN in the new colors was going to Moscow as DL46. Also the gate area had more 767-400’s than last time I took this flight (Febr 2007). N839MH was being prepared as DL38 to Amsterdam. Next door was N152DL wich took me to Atlanta Saturday. It was going to Barcelona tonight as DL114. At our gate next door. (Gate E4) N394DL. The only ex-asiana ship was assigend to do my flight DL124 to Brussels. This plane took me in the opposite direction in January 2005.
    At 1630 I spotted my crew boarding the plane. At that time boarding was starting next door for Delta’s flight to Barcelona. Leaving at 1740 togheter with us. At 1700 our boarding started. Being in zone 6 everyone boarded earlier. Since our flight was only booked 66 of the 179 seats.

The flight:
    Wednesday 29 October 2008
    Atlanta (ATL/KATL)-Brussels (BRU/EBBR)
    Delta Air Lines 0124 (Air France 3609)
    Boeing 767-324ER N394DL. Economy 32A
    17h40-17h40 (Gate E4; wheels up on runway 27R at 18h01)
    07h25-07h35 (Gate B06; wheels down on runway 25L at 7h25)
    Est flying time: 8hrs18mins.
    Cruising Altitude: FL 370
    Load factor: 30% in Y
    Routing: ATL-U4AAA2-AHN-J208-HPW-J191-R8V-JFK-PJT-TOPPS-N149B-STEAM-OTSTIR-5550N-5740N-5630N-5520N-DOGAL-BURAK-JL9-DVR-W71-VABIK-UW70 -KOK-BRU
    Displays a map on which the great circle path for one or more routes is plotted and calculates the distance along each route. Ranges from one or more locations may also be plotted, along with go/no-go areas for ETOPS operations at various rule times.

Greeted at door 1L by the Assistand lead FA, who would be working in the Economy Class galley tonight. After passing the Bussines Elite cabin I proceeded to the Economy Class. At the window exit I got greeted by the F/A who would be serving me. I’ll be calling her A from now on. Soon I settled me in seat 32A. as the cabin filled up slowly. At 1720 A. passed the other aisle while somebody asked if it was a full flight tonight. Wich she responded: “No, actually where all here already, So it’s time to party”. At 1740 we pushed back and soon after that the saftey video played. After a short line to the runway whe lifted off at 18h01. On our departure we passed over Anderson, SC. The town where I spend most of my time while in the US.

Entertainment tonight consisted of 2 films tonight. Leatherheads and Swing Vote. After the movies short tv-series programming would be shown with intervals of the moving map.

Meal service consisted the following.

After takeoff. Drink service

1hour20minutes in flight: Meal service Beef or Pasta

7hours in flight: Breakfast service.

A very uniqe thing about my 100th registerd flight was our crew. As this was the most unique set I ever met. During the dinner service A. passed along with the drinks.
    A: What would you like to have to drink sir.
    M: I’ll have some water with that please.
    A: (Gives me a look saying: Is that all). We have beer, red and white wine tonight. you can have one free.
    M: Well, I guess I’ll take me a red wine than please.
    A: Here you go
    M: Thanks

By now we where flying over Manhattan and had a straight view of the city. About an hour later A and I where talking in the galley. And we were talkeing about my aviation hobby until suddenly the following.
    A: Do you like some Ice cream
    M: Sure.
    A: Do you like to have some chocolate fudge.
    M: Yes, I do.
    A: Wait a minute, I’ll be right back.
    (a few minutes later, returned to my seat due to turbulence)
    A comes to my seat with the ice-cream sundae and a business elite aminity kit
    M (while laughing): thank you
    A: This is because you travel so much with us.
    M: haha, thank you
    A: We really need your loyalty so it’s our free gift.

About 2115, woke at 515am (just past midnight in Atlanta) by an episode of the simpsons. Well, I watched it. Stretched and walked around. At that time we were still wide over the pond. At 615 breakfast was served. After that A. offered me another breakfast.

During my final strecht I thanked A. for the wonderfull care she took of me during the flight. Then I freshed myself up. Soon as getting out of the lavetory we still had 20 minutes to go.I quickly put some stuff in my bag and got settled in. Due to the fog over Belguim I bearly could see anything until the treshold of runway 25L. once landed at 7h25. taxing in I could only see a Jet Airways 777 and the SN A330 OO-SFM. Docked in at 7h35. After that i made some pics of the Business class and the cockpit. At 750 I left the plane and went to the rather busy immergration check. AA 88 from Chicago had just landed aswell so it took a short while. At 815 I collected my bags and waited untill the 904 service home. Arrived at my house around 1100

Overall verdict
    Delta haves changed alot the last years, they keep getting better and better. Tasy meals, good service. But what does make the difference? The cabin crew’s. As we all know, There aren’t the easiest times for aviation, Delta’s Flight attendants love their job and show it. I met 4 enthiousast crews on this trip. As the most unique set i’ve met was on DL124. Shortly therafter I sended an email to Delta to praise the A. However there was one shortcoming. Individual IFE on the 767 would have made it just a little funner. But next to that. Keep up the good work Delta.

As a bonus I would like to give a list of regs I spotted in PBI, ATL and BRU.

PBI:
    N917DE
    N77867
    N12117
    N291JB
    N918CA
    N987DL

ATL:
    N987DL
    N1501P
    N938AT
    N994DL
    N67058
    N684DA
    N394DL
    N152DL
    N839MH
    N184DN
    N193DN
    N177DZ
    N175DN
    N153DL
    N1200K
    N166DZ
    N172DZ
    N192DN

BRU:
    N394DL
    OO-SFM

My Total travel time was about 21hours and 20 mins.

Thank you for viewing.

Next trip.
    ZYR-CDG-IAD-ATL-IAH-AMS-BRU on Air France/Delta/KLM
    Airlines: XT,KL,SN,ACA,DL,AF,TV,SN,OS,LX,WA,NW,FI,US,AW,CO,OH,OO,9W,AA,AE,FL,B6

Aircraft:AT4,B763,B734,A321,B743,FRJ,B763ER,B772,A343,B733,F70,MD80,AR8,A319,CRJ,F50,D10,D95,A333,B752,B762,ERD,B764,CR9,B77W,AB6,ATR,B717,E190

Airports: ANR,AMS,ATL,BRU,ATH,JFK,LGA,GSP,CDG,FCO,EWR,FAO,VIE,ZRH,MEM,DTW,KEF,PHL,CLT,IAH,MIA,JAX

Wow! AWESOME pictures!!! So you got to ride in the cockpit?
    Bujuraj Vataranjan-O'Malley

Comment

Originally posted by Bujuraj_Vataranjan View Post
      Wow! AWESOME pictures!!! So you got to ride in the cockpit?
      No, he just a few cockpit photos after arrival.

AirFrancefan,

Very nice trip reports. Nice pictures as well, looks like it must have been a pretty foggy day in Brussels. Really gives you a very good idea of what flying with the new Delta is like. In addition, it's nice to see an airline that actually appreciates loyalty! Can't wait to see more trip reports from you.

Regards,

Rohan

Comment

Originally posted by rohank4284 View Post
        Really gives you a very good idea of what flying with the new Delta is like.
        Was that some kind of a heretofore deeply-held secret?

Originally posted by rohank
        In addition, it's nice to see an airline that actually appreciates loyalty!
        I'm sure it is, too bad Delta ain't it.

Comment

No, he just a few cockpit photos after arrival.

AirFrancefan,

Very nice trip reports. Nice pictures as well, looks like it must have been a pretty foggy day in Brussels. Really gives you a very good idea of what flying with the new Delta is like. In addition, it's nice to see an airline that actually appreciates loyalty! Can't wait to see more trip reports from you.

Regards,

Rohan
          thanks for the nice comments.

Rohan was indeed right, the cockpit pictures are taken after the flight

Aircraft:AT4,B763,B734,A321,B743,FRJ,B763ER,B772,A343,B733,F70,MD80,AR8,A319,CRJ,F50,D10,D95,A333,B752,B762,ERD,B764,CR9,B77W,AB6,ATR,B717,E190

Airports: ANR,AMS,ATL,BRU,ATH,JFK,LGA,GSP,CDG,FCO,EWR,FAO,VIE,ZRH,MEM,DTW,KEF,PHL,CLT,IAH,MIA,JAX

Comment

Great flight review and photos as well Airfrancefan. Looks like DL has indeed improved its service in the past few years.

Comment

Originally posted by Foxtrot View Post
              Great flight review and photos as well Airfrancefan. Looks like DL has indeed improved its service in the past few years.
              thanks, DL has improved alot since

Comment

Originally posted by Spad13 View Post
                Was that some kind of a heretofore deeply-held secret?
                I surprised you didn't know. The reviewer might have just put himself in a lot of danger just to share this highly classified information.

In reality, I was talking about how much Delta has improved in the past few years.

Regards,

Rohan

Comment

I was talking about how much Delta has improved in the past few years.
                  So was I.

Comment

One time I left a United 767 safety card in a Delta 767.
                    Bujuraj Vataranjan-O'Malley

Comment

I wonder why DL uses foreign language subtitles only as opposed to an all out dub+sub in the second language?

Imagine Deltalina being dubbed in French.

Comment

Originally posted by Vincentomoh View Post
                        I wonder why DL uses foreign language subtitles only as opposed to an all out dub+sub in the second language?

Imagine Deltalina being dubbed in French.
                        they used to have dubs, even in dutch

Comment

Originally posted by Airfrancefan View Post
                          they used to have dubs, even in dutch
                          Did the dubs cover all of the concepts covered in the English version? I remembered that a Delta flight I was on had an abbreviated Spanish dub that only covered some concepts with a different music tone. We were going to an English-speaking country from Atlanta.

Continental has a Dutch dub and French subtitles for one of its Brussels flights. I'm not sure if CO alternates or if it is like this both ways to Brussels.

Comment

Originally posted by Vincentomoh View Post
                            Did the dubs cover all of the concepts covered in the English version? I remembered that a Delta flight I was on had an abbreviated Spanish dub that only covered some concepts with a different music tone. We were going to an English-speaking country from Atlanta.

Continental has a Dutch dub and French subtitles for one of its Brussels flights. I'm not sure if CO alternates or if it is like this both ways to Brussels.
                            Sorry for the late response.

It was indeed a smaller video with the different music tone.

Flewn with Co to EWR before, it was in Dutch with Fr subtitles both ways.

Comment

Working...
                            X