Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heathrow Terminals

Hi All,

Having emigrated from the UK in 1991 I cant comment on the facilities/service at the LHR terminals.
    In the last 18 years I have been back 3 times but each time I have flown out of T4.
    My question is, what is T3 like to fly in and out of??? One of the reasons why I am asking the question is that tomorrow I am to pay for my flights back to the UK and I am deliberating between Virgin and Qantas.
    One flies into T3 and the other T4, that will not make my decision final but I havent flown into/out of T3 since the 1980's and my memories of it are of complete chaos.
    What is it like in the year 2009????

Cheers
    Carl

Hi again,

Just in addition to this, what are the lounges like in T3?? Can you get views of the runway etc?
    I have been in the Holideck Lounge in T4 and that wa great.

Cheers again
    Carl

Comment

Originally posted by cf73 View Post
      Hi All,

Having emigrated from the UK in 1991 I cant comment on the facilities/service at the LHR terminals.
      In the last 18 years I have been back 3 times but each time I have flown out of T4.
      My question is, what is T3 like to fly in and out of??? One of the reasons why I am asking the question is that tomorrow I am to pay for my flights back to the UK and I am deliberating between Virgin and Qantas.
      One flies into T3 and the other T4, that will not make my decision final but I havent flown into/out of T3 since the 1980's and my memories of it are of complete chaos.
      What is it like in the year 2009????

Cheers
      Carl
      I last flew out T3, 7 years ago and it was a chaotic mess. However, many airlines have shifted out of T3, for instance, UA moved from T3 to T1 and the terminal has recently undergone a multitude of renovations, so it's likely going to be a lot better.

I flew through T4 with BA last July and overall I thought that terminal was pretty good. With BA gone it's probably going to be a lot less crowded. Immigration at T4 wasn't bad, I was actually out in about an hour after arrival.

In either case, I think your Heathrow experience will likely be much better than the last time you flew in. So I would just choose which airline you like better.

Regards,

Rohan

Comment

Cheers Rohan,

I have just come back form the flight centre after paying for my fare, going with Virgin via HK so will be going through T3.

Really looking foward to it, have never flown Virgin Atlantc or on an A340, or gone through HK...

Has been 7 years since I was last in the UK, cant wait for those pubs..!!!!

Cheers
        Carl

Comment

Terminal 3 is a shithole, ( pardon me, I tend to speak my mind ), always has been and I doubt that a goodly few million £ will make it much better. The SAS business lounge has a good airport view and good facilities but it's into the sun mostly all day. Depends if you want to use the facilities AND take pics or just use the facilities. T3 is also EXTREMELY crowded.

Terminal 4 is much better and since BA moved to T5 is almost deserted. I've flown out of there twice in the last 2 - 3 months and it's virtually deserted ( departed 1130 and arrived 1900 ). Holideck lounge is as excellent as ever and for the first time ever in departing Heathrow there were departure personnel in the Xray actually waiting for a customer !!

I fly a lot to Malta. I always use Air Malta for the T4 departure if I have to go from Heathrow and I always use Gatwick North if I have to use BA.

I'll be going to Australia next year which won't give me much choice other than to use Terminal 3, unless I use QANTAS ( prefer the idea of Cathay Pacific ) but I'll be going business class so I get to use Fasttrack thru departure security and the SAS lounge.....otherwise....I wouldn't touch T3 with a bargepole.

It embarrasses me to think what visiting foreigners must think of the UK when they arrive at T3.
          If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Hi Brian,
            I was hoping you wouldnt say that, but oh well nothing I can do about it now. The flight is the main thing so that I am looking forward to.

Can genral public access the SAS business lounge (for a fee) or is it purely for SAS and associated members? I will DEFINATELY go into a lounge, I know they cost about 20 pounds or so, but that was the best money spent last time I was at Heathrow. I used the Holideck in T4 and is was so nice to be away from the husstle and busstle.
            If the SAS one is not available, which others do you recommend? My flight home will not leave until 9.30pm so I will spend the whole 3 hours available in there.

Cheers
            Carl

Comment

The general public lounge in T3 is the Servisair lounge ( see here... http://www.holidayextras.co.uk/airpo...visair-t3.html ). I'm not sure if it has runway views but it, along with all other Servisair lounges, is away from the hustle and bustle of the main terminal. £17.95 per person is a good price for 3 hours peace and complimentary drink and snacks. If you want hot food though you'll have to use a cafe/restaurant in the main terminal area. Garfunkels, if they're still there do a decent cooked meal.

The SAS lounge is just for business/first class travellers on SAS and associated airlines.
              If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

cheers brian,

thanks for the info.

i will post a flight/trip review after I have come back...if i am capable as i am going on a 5 day drink fest with the guys i used to go to school with..!!!

cheers
                carl

Comment

I agree with Brian, T3 is a complete dump. Departing passengers are kept waiting in a windowless shopping centre before being called to the gate at the last minute. Given the general level of maintenance at BAA airports the windows in the piers are not much good for photography. The Servisair lounge mentioned is the former Qantas lounge and most reviews do not rate it very highly.

The arrivals areas are no better having been undergoing refurbishment for over 10 years with little progress.

I will have the pleasure of passing through in mid July as I would rather fly with Air Canada than BA. If this is before your trip I will post an update.

If you want a good airport experience in the UK fly via a European hub from London City, but standards have slipped there since the change of ownership.

Comment

Hi all,

I just got back from my adventure and what do I think of T3??? It is a lot better to be leaving from it that arriving in it.!

I wont talk too much about the arrival but when I was leaving I checked in at the Virgin desks and then went right through. I was met with a surprise of good shops and places to have a drink etc.
                    I did book myself a spot in the Serviseair lounge which had ok views but it was just nice to relax. It wasnt as good as the Holideck lounge I tried in T4 a number of years ago but it beat being in the main part of the terminal.

Cheers
                    Carl

Comment

Working...
                    X