Flight: Southwest WN 101
    Leg: AUS-DAL
    Aircraft: Boeing 737-300 with winglets
    SDT: 11:20 a.m.
    ADT: 11:20 a.m.
    SAT: 12:20 p.m.
    AAT: 12:15 p.m.
    Seat: 18A
    Dep. Weather: Partly cloudy and humid. Temp. around 84F, wind S at 10-15 mph. Vis. 10 mi.
    Arr. Weather: Scattered clouds, wind S at 10 mph. Temp 82F. Vis. 10 mi.

After a short but pleasant stay my sister dropped us off at AUS. We headed to the WN check-in since we had a checked bag. Check-in was pretty quick, and after security, which took just 3 minutes, I decided to go around the terminal to see if there was any interesting traffic, that is, interesting by Austin Bergstrom standards. Bergstrom has also been experiencing the same kind of large drops in monthly traffic like most other airports have. I could notice the change as I walked around, I’ve been there on Sundays previously and it’s usually more crowded. Anyway, there wasn’t much to see other than the usual WN and AA planes, and a DL Conn CR9 to ATL. The regional airlines have lately been replacing the CR1s/2s with larger CR7s/9s and next-generation Embraers on their Austin flights. After a few rounds around the terminal, boarding time was coming close so I just loitered in the gate area. Gate 7 was our departure gate. Soon enough I saw a 733W taxiing in. Boarding was done on time and we got pushed back. WN 101 was scheduled on an AUS-DAL-LBB run. This flight was about 80% full and yet again, I had three seats for myself . After a short taxi to 17L, we took off and headed in a NE direction. The rest of the flight was the usual. I had some water being quite thirsty. Descent to DAL was quite bumpy, with what I assume were heat thermals giving us a choppy ride and creating some turbulence. Given the conditions the landing was pretty smooth and as is usually the case at DAL, full reverse was used.

DL Conn ASA CR9 to ATL.

WN 733W strangely docked to a non-WN gate.

AA M80 taking off to LAX with some smoky JT8Ds.

Our ride to DAL taxiing in with N247WN at the gate.

Just in case you didn't know the website .

NW Airlink CRJ 200 at one of the DL/NW gates.

jetblue 320 in the distance.

AUS overview.

Corsicana, TX.

Seagoville, suburban Dallas.

Banking over a golf course. I think we messed up some golf games

We headed into the terminal through Gate 8 and checked the monitors for our next flight which was departing in about an hour. It was departing from Gate 6. So we headed to that gate and sat down, but wanted to get some lunch. While deciding, the gate agent announced that the plane from HOU had been delayed 20 minutes. Which wasn’t a big deal for us anyway, OKC was our last stop. This gave us additional time to get some food. We decided to get something at the McDonald’s, which is opposite Gate 6. DAL’s great for connecting but seriously lacking in food options. Well anyway, I had a good time eating and watching planes landing and taking off on 13L.

Flight: Southwest WN 20
    Leg: DAL-OKC
    Aircraft: Boeing 737-300 with winglets
    SDT: 1:15 p.m.
    ADT: 1:40 p.m.
    SAT: 2:05 p.m.
    AAT: 2:35 p.m.
    Seat: 18A
    Dep. Weather: Partly cloudy and humid. Temp. around 90F, wind S at 10 mph. Vis. 10 mi.
    Arr. Weather: Scattered clouds, wind S at 15 gusting to 25 mph. Temp 92F. Vis. 10 mi.

After eating we headed back across to the gate; the holding area for Gate 6 was now full to the brim and then some, which meant a full flight to OKC. We decided to just take our spots in the A group. After the plane came, boarding commenced in about 10 minutes. I had already decided where I was going to sit, so I headed straight for my “chosen” seat. This flight was on the HRL-HOU-OKC-LAS-SAN run. There were also some passengers going to MCI, who would be connecting at OKC. It still sounds a bit weird anytime I hear of passengers connecting at OKC, but it’s true nonetheless. Boarding was completed ASAP and we got pushed back pretty quickly. I must say, DAL probably wins the award for the shortest jetways in the world, just a few steps and there’s the door!

Onboard WN 20 to OKC.

Arizona One

We were #3 for takeoff so there was a short wait. After takeoff, we looped around and basically followed I-35 off and on for much of the way up to OKC. At one point I saw I-35 traffic for 5 minutes straight, cool to watch.

King Air 90. Usual DAL traffic.

Overview of DAL.

Downtown Dallas and surrounding environs. Visible here are some noteworthy buildings including the JP Morgan Chase Tower, Bank of America Plaza (tallest building), Comerica Bank Tower, Fountain Place, etc.

Addison Airport

DFW Int'l

Cirrus with some contrail remnants.

Flying over the Red River into OK airspace.

South Canadian River.

University of Oklahoma South Campus.

OU Main Campus, visible here is the football stadium and many campus dorms and buildings.

OU North Campus, with Max Westheimer Airport and St. Hwy 77.

OKC

Banking to line up for 17L.

Welcome to Oklahoma City.

On the way back, I spotted this 737-300 of Air Lion parked on the GA ramp at OKC.

Landing at OKC was not too shabby. We took Golf to the ramp and then to Gate 16. For some reason it took the bags about 10 minutes to start arriving on the conveyor belt, which is unusual for OKC. Anyhow, we took the shuttle to Lot 3 and headed back. Again, nothing to complain about, another good set of flights with Southwest.

Thanks for reading!

Very nice flight review and excellent photos. Just wondering what were you served on your flights with WN? Yep, I agree DAL could use a little better food options, but I too find connecting there pretty easy.

Regards,

Rohan

Comment

Re:

Originally posted by rohank4284 View Post
      Very nice flight review and excellent photos. Just wondering what were you served on your flights with WN? Yep, I agree DAL could use a little better food options, but I too find connecting there pretty easy.

Regards,

Rohan
      Hey Rohan,

thanks for your comments. On these short hops WN serves mainly peanuts and pretzels with the usual sodas/juices and such, we got the same on the flights to AUS as well. The lead FA announces over the PA that they'll come around to take a list of those who want something to drink to save time, and after that they just come around with the drinks and ask everyone if they want peanuts/pretzels. It's quite a challenge on these short hops especially if the flight is full and most, if not all, 137 passengers want something! In fact I think one of the passengers actually helped the FAs in serving drinks and snacks on the DAL-OKC flight.

Comment

Not having been on the flight, that passenger could very well be a WN Employee that was either riding 4th/Jumpseat or just being nice and helping out.

Whenever I fly short hauls, whether I am riding 4th or not, I always offered to pass the peanuts out after 10K feet to help make the drink service go by faster.

Great report and pictures! I just flew a 5 segment trip on SWA STL-DEN-LAS-ABQ-DEN-STL last weekend, great times!

Are you still racking up Rapid Reward Points? You can gt cheap fares to DEN out of OKC, and get the double bonus promotion, I think ends September 16th? Thats why I flew through DEN to get my bonus points haha!

Alex
        Stop Searching. Start Traveling. southwest.com

Comment

Re:

Originally posted by ATrude777 View Post
          Not having been on the flight, that passenger could very well be a WN Employee that was either riding 4th/Jumpseat or just being nice and helping out.

Whenever I fly short hauls, whether I am riding 4th or not, I always offered to pass the peanuts out after 10K feet to help make the drink service go by faster.

Great report and pictures! I just flew a 5 segment trip on SWA STL-DEN-LAS-ABQ-DEN-STL last weekend, great times!

Are you still racking up Rapid Reward Points? You can gt cheap fares to DEN out of OKC, and get the double bonus promotion, I think ends September 16th? Thats why I flew through DEN to get my bonus points haha!

Alex
          True that, but I saw her leave the aircraft and later in the baggage claim area and she was with some other people so I'm quite sure she was just a regular paying passenger being helping out.

Thanks for the comments! I saw the flight review you posted on your recent segments, good stuff.

As for Rapid Rewards, I don't fly WN that often so I haven't enrolled in the FF program, from what I know though it's a pretty good program.

Comment

It seems like you fly them enough as it is?! Hahaha

Well, it is only 8 flights/rt-16 credits in 2 years and a free ticket already.

If you sign up for RR, you already get 2 free points, take a r/t thats another 2, you're at 4 pts already and you only need to fly WN 6 more times.

If you fly into the bonus promo cities, right now they are DEN, BOS, PVD, MHT and LGA, you get 4 pts r/t so that after 4 flights, you have a free ticket.

Plus hotel stays, and other stuff, maybe the RR Credit Card (you get 8 pts after signing up...) It adds up really quickly.

I started with 0 pts when I flew to DEN and came back with 15 pts already, just need 1 more and I have a free ticket!

Alex
            Stop Searching. Start Traveling. southwest.com

Comment

nice reports, really want to go on WN one day.
              Airlines: XT,KL,SN,ACA,DL,AF,TV,SN,OS,LX,WA,NW,FI,US,AW,CO,OH,OO,9W,AA,AE,FL,B6

Aircraft:AT4,B763,B734,A321,B743,FRJ,B763ER,B772,A343,B733,F70,MD80,AR8,A319,CRJ,F50,D10,D95,A333,B752,B762,ERD,B764,CR9,B77W,AB6,ATR,B717,E190

Airports: ANR,AMS,ATL,BRU,ATH,JFK,LGA,GSP,CDG,FCO,EWR,FAO,VIE,ZRH,MEM,DTW,KEF,PHL,CLT,IAH,MIA,JAX

Comment

^Hey thanks man, appreciate the comment.

Comment

Nice flight report and nice pics. The FR allow me to travell around the world. Thanks for that.
                  A portuguese photojournalist living in Brazil.

Comment

Happy to do it Jose, I feel the same way about others' flight reviews!

Comment

Working...
                    X