Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Something Special in the Air--The return Segment on American (pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something Special in the Air--The return Segment on American (pics)

Something Special in the Air--the Return Segment on American
    American Airlines
    LAX-DFW-MCI

Here is the trip report for the flights on the return segment on my trip to Los Angeles with American over Thanksgiving Break.

American was my favorite airline growing up. All of my early flight memories that created a love of flying, my toys and first model airplanes were all centered around American Airlines. Naturally, I was excited to be flying with American once again, after not flying them since I was in 5th grade, 6 years ago.

I hope you enjoy the report!

Getting to the Airport

My time in California took me to a variety of places. The few days before my flight, I ended up in Fresno, which was a fun four hour drive away from Los Angeles International Airport.

I woke up at 3 am, to get ready and head out to LAX for a 10am departure.

Here is a picture of the sunrise I took on the drive to LAX. You can see some contrails of airplanes in the sky where I would soon be flying.
    Photobucket

Soon we arrived at Los Angeles International Airport, where I was greeted by Southwest's Maryland One. This was my second time seeing Maryland One at LAX. my first time being last summer when I was coming back from the FBLA National Leadership Conference
    Photobucket

I was also able to get this picture of an AA738 landing.
    Photobucket

Arriving at the American Airlines check in area.
    Photobucket

When I walked into the terminal, I saw a huge sea of people and thought that checking in would surely be a hassle, but a friendly AA employee greeted us, and took us to a self-check in machine in the corner, that I otherwise wouldn't have noticed.
    Photobucket

We tried to pay for our luggage at the self check in machine, but it kept telling us it was $60, while we only paid $50 on our way out to LAX.

We then opted to pay by cash, and talk to an agent at the check in desk while dropping off our bags. My mom was kind of upset, and didn't understand why we had to pay for bags, and was getting really irritated. I was not able to calm her down, and I could see this wasn't going anywhere good. Then we got to the counter, and my mom talked with one of the employees, who was really amazing! She was able to explain things to my mom, while building up the AA brand with my mom in a way that I couldn't do.

Here is a picture of the front counter. The electronic screens were interesting, because for the positions that were not available, it seemed like they were set to show the default items from the manufacturer of the screens. It was fairly interesting to be seeing items such as rockets, dinosaurs, and an assortment of smiley faces pop up on those electronic screens while I was waiting to be helped.
    Photobucket

The friendly AA employee then pointed out where we should drop our bags off for security, and we were on our way. But once we got to the bag drop, the TSA agents told us to go all the way down to the other end of the terminal by the Qantas check in area, and have us walk all the way back to the other far end of the AA side to go through security. I really didn't mind this, except for the fact that I was with my mom, who is a slow-walker, and got angry when I walked ahead of her.

Anyways, I eventually made my way to security, and was on my way.

The TSA agent checking IDs was really friendly...probably too friendly to be a TSA employee! But the other people weren't too bad either. Except my mom was selected to go through the scanner machine, but nothing to bad.

The walkway from the TSA area to the gates has a lot of windows, and I thought I would be able to get good photos. I was only able to get this, before I got a lot of worried stares from TSA agents and other passengers.
    Photobucket

My flight was departing out of gate 40, but it wasn't there when I got to the gate, so I decided to explore the terminal.
    Photobucket

I saw this AA738 with an Emirates 777 in the background.
    Photobucket

Virgin America!
    Photobucket

DL777
    Photobucket

An AA762 that shut its doors, and is headed to JFK.
    Photobucket

Pretty soon I was back at my gate, and saw my aircraft, N558AA, and MD80 operating as flight 2404 to LAX
    Photobucket

Boarding

Pretty soon the boarding process started, and it was sort of chaotic. A bunch of people just being herded down the jetway. As usual, I always end up in group 4, and end up being herded down the jetway like cattle.

Eventually I was able to see the entrance of my aircraft, and was excited to see that this was a wi-fi equipped MD80
    Photobucket

One last picture of the bird before hopping on.
    Photobucket

After a lot of awkward shuffling through people taking forever to put their bags up, I made it to my seat.
    Photobucket

My mom decided to hand me all of her stuff, while she took her time putting on her seatbelt... I kind of felt claustrophobic for a few minutes, but I eventually found my comfort zone and was all good.

Here is a photo of a departing company 757, along with a 762 that was parked next to us.
    Photobucket

Taxi and Takeoff

The crew made their announcements, and we were soon on our way. The crew seemed friendlier than the crew on my segment from DFW-LAX previously, so I was hoping this would be a fun flight.
    Photobucket

While taxiing I saw an interesting array of aircraft, such as this DL747
    Photobucket

A CO/UA aircraft in the "new" United livery. I personally do not like it, and feel it is cheap. I hope they come up with a new brand after everything is settled.
    Photobucket

Ah, a United aircraft that looks professional in the proper livery.
    Photobucket

An SQ744 on approach
    Photobucket

The takeoff was interesting. We soon made our way over the beach, and the Pacific Ocean.
    Photobucket

Over the Pacific, making a turn back east.
    Photobucket

Downtown Los Angeles
    Photobucket

In Flight

The flight was kind of relaxing, and uneventful. The crew was polite and professional while carrying out their duties. Service was basic, just a drink, with BOB snack items for sale. I did not make use of the wifi on board the flight, because I dozed off a few times during the flight and thought the window was enough IFE.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Proceeding to DFW
    Photobucket

Cabin shot
    Photobucket

We were soon making our way into DFW.
    Photobucket

Approach and Landing

Unfortunately, my time on this flight was coming to an end.

We were coming closer to DFW, and it soon came into sight.
    Photobucket

Making a turn towards DFW
    Photobucket

While on approach from far away, I could see countless other AA jets in the skies from a distance. I couldn't get a good picture, because my camera couldn't focus on the aircraft due to the glare and sun reflections from their reflectiveness.

On our way down. You can see Six Flags Over Texas near the bottom of the photo.
    Photobucket

Final Approach
    Photobucket

Landing in DFW
    Photobucket

Control tower with downtown Dallas
    Photobucket

No doubt I am in DFW. The land of American, and MD80s.
    Photobucket

I saw at least 4 company MD80s taxi by us on our way in.
    Photobucket

I also was able to see the AA astrojet 738! I flew the AA757 retrojet in 2nd grade to ORD from SJU.
    Photobucket

Soon, our aircraft parked at the gate, and I was off the aircraft.

Layover in DFW

I had about 2 hours to kill in DFW, and I spent most of this time at the Sky Train stations, plane spotting. I could post all of my pictures, but they all kind of look the same...AA Mad Dogs.
    Photobucket

Mixing it up...an AA757 and MD80.
    Photobucket

The 757 being pushed back.
    Photobucket

MD80
    Photobucket

Definitely at DFW
    Photobucket

It was getting late, and I had to make my way back to the gate so I wouldn't miss my flight. My aircraft hadn't arrived yet, but there was this 737-800 there.
    Photobucket

AA maintained their branding everywhere throughout the terminal.
    Photobucket

A failed attempt at a long exposure, with a 738 departing in the background.
    Photobucket

My aircraft soon arrived at the gate, and I was not able to catch the reg #.
    Photobucket

Boarding

Boarding this flight was just like all of my others. I still ended up in group 4, and made my way onto the completely full aircraft. But not as many people ended up taking their time putting luggage away, because many bags ended being gate-checked, including mine.

I quickly made my way to my seat, and we were on our way out.
    Photobucket

Taxi, Takeoff, and Inflight

We took off pretty quickly, and turned towards Kansas City.

The in flight service was basic once again, just drinks. There was minimal interaction with the crew, but they seemed very professional, and were pleasant to fly with.

Here are some pictures for the flight. Some of them are rather dark.
    Photobucket

Photobucket

Approach and Landing

I was upset that I had to return back to Kansas City, where it was 20 degrees opposed to 60 in LA, and I had to return back to the world of doing school work, and getting caught up on assignments.
    Photobucket

Photobucket

We soon arrived at MCI, and was basically the only aircraft at terminal C.
    Photobucket

Deplaning
    Photobucket

Flight Deck Shot
    Photobucket

Leaving the Aircraft
    Photobucket

One last look at the bird. A rent-a-cop security guard at MCI then came up to me and told me aircraft photography was not allowed. :/
    Photobucket

I then headed to baggage claim, and my bags appeared fairly quickly.

I then had to take the shuttle to get home, and that was it's own experience. There were no agents around at the airport, and I had to use an automated machine that screwed up my reservation. The shuttle then came about an hour later, and the driver seemed to be new to this country....but that's a story for a different time.

Anyways, I really enjoyed my experience with American. Despite the cut backs it has had to make in in flight services, charging for luggage, and various other items, I really enjoyed my time on American. The crews were very professional, and most of the ground staff were very friendly. The spirit of the AA employees I encountered reminded me of the American I was obsessed with as a young child.

Thank you for reading my report, I should have videos up shortly. I would appreciate any of your comments!

I will finish this report throughout the next few days. Stay Tuned

Congrats to jaspreet for posting a report NOT featuring numerous shots of a WN 737 right winglet. I always knew you had it in ya!

Comment

Working...
    X