Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You know a flight/airline is bad when...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You know a flight/airline is bad when...

Please add comments/ share experiences... I'm sure you all have some stories to tell

...you just get settled into your seat, with your aircraft parked at the gate, and then - WHAM - and the entire aircraft shakes. You look out of your window, onto the dark tarmac below to see a baggage handler looking with a sense of amazement about a cargo pallet that slammed into the side of your 757. Oh, did I mention, you're on the last flight of the day to that city, and you have to be there for a court hearing the next morning?

...you overhear the pilot (at the gate) say "Hey, what's a CRJ?" (with no smile or sign that he is joking) as he prints out his report - and heads down the jet bridge to board his CRJ-700.
    Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

...You know when your flight is bad when wing clipper whale A380 hits a CRJ.

Experience from someone I met:

...You know when your flight is bad when on a 15 hour flight from YYZ-HKG the TV's are all not functioning.

My experiences:

...You know your flight is bad when you ask to go to the cockpit twice (hehe) and get told by flight attendants that they will call the cops.
      Flickr |Airliners.Net | Airplane-Pictures.Net | Jetphotos.Net

Comment

You know your flight is bad when you complain about the passenger cooking his chicken lunch on a primus stove in the cabin rear.....

.....and the steward goes and asks him if he'll share it with you.

(Yemenia B737-200?. Sanaa, Yemen - Amman, Jordan. 1992)
        If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

You know a flight is bad when the flight number begins with EZY

Comment

You know you're flight will be badly delayed when due to fog you can't see the airport terminal till you are 20 meters in front of it. (february 2004, Niederrhein)
            Please visit my website! http://www.schipholspotter.com/

Don't make me use uppercase...

Comment

When you realize that the gate agent is spouting highly embellished BS:

"The pilots are currenty on the phone with the control tower about the storms at the desination, and we will take off after the storms have cleared"
              Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

...You know when your flight is bad when the flight takes off several hours late, in violation of the departure airport's night curfew

...You know when your flight is bad when the interior of the aircraft looks very old and worn out yet a quick registration search on planespotters.net or jetphotos.net reveals that the aircraft is barely a year old

**both of these events occurred on Jetstar flights**
                Airbus A340: Longer * Larger * Farther * Faster * Higher * Quieter * Smoother

Comment

My "top" 3 in chronological order:

#1 you know when your journey has gone bad when...

... you're seated at the gate at IAD on a full CRJ200 and instead of closing the door the FA picks the phone up and announces "Flight cancelled" due to high winds in the New York area. It then takes you 2 hours to get to the front of the UA queue where you are directed to another UA queue which takes another 2.5 hours to get to the front of by which time you have absolutely no chance of getting to EWR for your CO transatlantic flight back home. It costs you a lot of pleading and $200 to rebook your CO flight and you later come up against the seasoned truth that insurance will cover you for anything, unless it happens.

Upshot: 24 hours airside photography at IAD.

UA7192, IAD-EWR
                  CO28, EWR-LGW

#2 you know when your journey has gone bad when...

... you're on only the 2nd transatlantic daily KLM 744 to depart LAX for AMS after the Iclandic volcano disruptions and the only thing missing at AMS as you land are tumbleweed.

You have a boarding pass for the AMS-LHR leg, but the Ghost Town appearance outside is starkly contrasted with terminal buildings heaving with displaced passengers and your AMS-LHR segment has been cancelled. KLM staff suggest rebooking but there is no evidence that KLM will be flying tomorrow or that you will get on a flight so it costs you £300 to fly AMS-LTN on SleezyJet that evening, a flight which is fully booked but on which you are only one of about 40 people.

Once again, you come up against the seasoned truth that insurance will cover you for anything, unless it happens or so long as you can provide evidence of the inside leg measurement of the check-in clerk written in indelible ink on a piece of airline cutlery which is hallmarked with the words: "I testify that this is a fork".

Upshot: I got home that evening and got £50 back directly from KLM, 3 months later.

KL602, LAX-AMS
                  EZY2164, AMS-LTN

#3 you know when your journey has gone bad when...

... after 2 months of trying to get sense out of LAN Airlines, you have nothing more you can do and travel LGW-MAD on Air Europa to pick up the LAN MAD-FRA flight the following day where you are told, after 5 minutes at the check-in desk, that your ticket is not valid.

You have ensured that you have a copy of all your credit card statements and the e-mail ticket that the LAN back office sent you - along with an apology - because even though you have a ticket from them your on-line booking looks "odd" and you still cannot get any reasonable sense out of them over the 9 charges made against your credit card, of which 8 were refunded.

You have various people who have taken time off work to meet you and have booked a hotel in Frankfurt but after an hour of standing at the LAN desk while the representative speaks to the office in Madrid, they tell you "you cannot fly today".

Upshot: after a further hour of discussion in which you have had to virtually force them to look at the evidence that A) you have paid, B) you have been issued an apology and a ticket from them and having insisted that they must fly you today or do something else, they eventually merely ask the representative to look at your credit card and you find out the timeless truth that calmness, assertiveness and honesty are far more valuable and often far more effective than bolshiness and insurance. The sales desk issue a new ticket, apologise for the worry they have caused you, and tell you will be travelling Business Class.... which was very, very nice indeed

LA704, MAD-FRA

Addenda: #4... when the rope between your K13 and the tug aircraft has just snapped and your instructor shouts "I have control".
                  Last edited by HB-IHC; 2011-08-17, 23:25.

All our final decisions are made in a state of mind that is not going to last (Marcel Proust)

Comment

The old Capn' asks for a fast runner to volunteer to pull the chocks and make a dash for the open door since the brakes don't hold on a hill this steep and "she" needs to be fully spooled cause we need every inch of runway they got.

Heck and if that tricky old shifty wind will stay still long enough we usually make it too!

Live, from a grassy knoll somewhere near you.

Comment

I was on a flight and all was good except the landing. I was about to say "That was a very nice landing" and then suddenly WHAM! we smashed onto the runway, then bounced back into the sky and then again WHAM! we smashed the runway again! The reverse thrust and spoilers were activated but I could feel the pilots were desperately trying to slow the plane down. We exited the runway via the very last taxiway (usually planes take the 2nd to last) at very high speed and the thrust reverse was still activated as we turned onto the taxiway.

Scary!
                      Remember on your hardest days, that the airplanes always take off against the wind... afterwards, the skies are all yours.

Comment

Working...
                      X