MAN-SIN-ADL with SIA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MAN-SIN-ADL with SIA

I yet again found another excuse to visit my family in Australia, this time flying with Singapore Airlines, from Manchester to Adelaide via Singapore. This first part is MAN-SIN-ADL.

Sunday 26th October 2003

Radisson SAS Manchester Airport

I decided that as I needed to be at the airport early in the morning that I would travel to Manchester the night before and treated myself to an 8th floor room at the Radisson. Despite being somewhat expensive, it had to be done as half of the rooms overlook the apron. I spent most of the evening peering out the window from my bed watching the late night goings-on, great fun and nice and warm. Thoroughly recommended to anyone if you need a hotel room at Manchester. It was a good place to try out some night photography with my new 300D. At 7.30am the next morning I made the 2 minute walk to check-in, and swiftly made my way through to the departure lounge.

MAN-SIN - Monday 27th October:

SQ 327 – 9V-SVJ – 777-200ER
    Seat: 35G
    Departure time scheduled: 10am (actual 9.57am)
    Flight time: 12:40

I boarded aircraft and made my way to seat 35G. As I got there I discovered that the seat was missing a part of the arm rest, and this row has no window, which was not a great start. The seat was a little firm, but reasonably comfortable. I settled in – what was I going to do on this long flight? We taxied over to 24L, and after a brief pause to let the Continental 767 through, we commenced our take-off. A very smooth gentle climb, the 772 pleasantly quiet from where I was seated.
    I searched for the IFE catalogue and was pleased to find that I had Wisemen 3000 AVOD, and it didn’t disappoint. Picture quality is superb, and the choice of films, TV and music fantastic. Once I had worked out how to navigate, it worked like a dream, and through the flight I managed to get through 4 films and numerous TV programmes. Much better than any system I have used before.

Shortly after take-off, heading to our cruising altitude of 39,000ft, the cabin service commenced – absolutely fantastic. The drinks cart came round with a full selection, and then did a second round shortly after. Soon after this a lunch was served, with the usual choice of beef or chicken. I chose the beef in red wine sauce and was pretty good. This was accompanied by yet another drink choice, and followed up with ice cream – a first for me on an aircraft. We were by now rapidly heading into darkness, so the lights were dimmed and the marathon movie session began. For the next couple of hours the crew continued to pass through the cabin with trays of water and juice – something that Emirates didn’t do when I flew with them at Christmas. At some point a basket was brought around with snacks to choose from – but this didn’t prove enough for my appetite.

About 2 hours prior to arrival at Changi, breakfast was served. I chose the omelette and again this was pretty tasty. I however don’t think that these 2 meals alone were enough. I was absolutely starving at least 2 hours before they brought the breakfast around. I’m sure that there used to be an extra meal on these long flight sectors.

We descended into Singapore, a smooth decent with arrival bang on time at 7.05 am local time.

Overall rating: 8/10 – let down by part of seat missing, no window on this row, and I was left feeling quite hungry. Plus points – a very smooth 772 flight, very quiet, fantastic service and superb IFE. The pluses outweighed the minor bad points.

Once on the ground, I had 15 hours to get through before my connection to Adelaide. The first 6 hours was spent at the T1 transit hotel, which was looking somewhat dated, but it was a bed and a shower. I managed a couple of hours of very disturbed sleep, but all too quickly my booked 6 hours was up, and I wondered around trying not to spend megabucks. Headed back to T2, had some food and sat down to write this so far. I made it to the sunflower garden after it stopped raining and got a couple of ramp shots – I must have seen virtually every SIA 777 possible.

SIN-ADL – 28th October 2003

SQ229 – 9V-SRO - B777-200
    Seat 35D
    Departure: 10.45pm
    Flight time: 6hrs

Boarding SRO, I was greeted by a seat that was in somewhat better shape. This time had a window, and noted the different layout of the non ER compared to SVJ earlier. The seat felt slightly more comfortable. Again this a/c was equipped with Wisemen 3000, but I was too tired to use it. We pushed back at 10.45 and made the long taxi to the 02R holding point. Soon after another quiet take-off it was time for the drinks round. I was slightly disappointed to see a restricted selection of drinks on offer. After this the food was served, choosing a tasty Thai green chicken curry. 2 hours into the flight the lights were dimmed for a couple of hours – I managed a couple of hours of sleep. Again water/juice was brought around. 1.30hr before landing, we were served a continental breakfast – well a bread roll, muffin and a couple of slices of fruit – I’ve had larger portions before.
    We made a very quick sector to ADL, touching ground speeds of 1040km/h, with a tail wind hitting 138km/h helping us nicely, before making an uneventful landing in ADL slightly ahead of schedule, pulling up to the international shed, which turned out to be mayhem as the whole flight tried to get through immigration and customs at the same time. Heavens knows what its like when 2 flights arrive at once. Hopefully the new terminal will be there in 2005.

Overall impressions: I didn’t find the service a friendly as the other sector crew. There was nothing wrong with it, it was slick and professional, but was lacking smiles.
    I’m sure that SIA have cut back on their food services. It’s been a couple of years since I last flew with them, but I’m sure I was offered a larger selection of meals.

Well done SIA – another decent trip from a well respected airline.

Congrats James! Very neat trip report with all the interesting details of your flights. Can't wait to read the coming-back flight.

Cheers

Marcos

Comment

Re:

Gr8 report! How was the legroom in the 772ER?

Happy Flying!

Comment

Legroom was fine for me, and i'm 6ft tall. Even with the seat in front of me fully reclined i didn't feel cramped.

Comment

Working...
        X