Space A Trip Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Space A Trip Report

If you are in the military or are a spouse or dependent, you probably know something about space-available travel. For those of you who don't know, space a is free or very reduced cost travel on government aircraft or civilian charters for military and their families. I have only flown space a three times, but I thought I would write a trip report just to give you a general idea of what it is. (Sorry, I don't know the exact dates, I just remember it was in August a few years ago)

Monday- Space Available for a World MD-11 to Atlanta. Drive an hour to Rhein-Main, only to not get on the flight. I find out there is a C-5 to Dover leaving from Ramstein. I drive aother 2 hours south, but dont get on that flight either. I call and find out there are morre flights leaving from Ramstein tomorrow. I go home discouraged and doubting if I will be able to make a flight.

Tuesday- Drive to Ramstein to see if I can get on a C-5 to Andrews AFB. Dont get on that flight. I find out there is a C-130 leaving for the USA stopping in the Azores, leaving at 2:00 am. There are only 6 seats available, but I try anyways, I don't get on.

Wednesday- There is a World DC-10 to BWI and Atlanta. Over 100 seats available so it looks good. But, once again I don't get on. There is a C-5 leaving for Dover, but I decide to just go home.

Thursday- I stay home and rest

Friday- There is a World DC-10 to Atlanta and a C-5 to Dover. Finally, I get on the DC-10. It is all economy class, and the flight is uneventful. I arrive in Atlanta worried about my chances of getting a flight back to Germany.

Next Friday- I try to get on a World flight back to FRA. No chance. There were over 120 people who signed up in July in front of me. I have to get home soon and decide to take US Airways back to FRA. In the Summer with no advance the trip is expensive, but I have to get back. I end up taking a USAir 737-200 from ATL-PIT and a US Airways 767-200 from PIT-FRA. Both flights are uneventful.

I know it sounds awful, but I tried again the next November and got on on my first try. Needless to say I will think twice before trying to space a again in the summer!
    Fly Raleigh-Durham International, with direct flights on Air Canada, AirTran, American Airlines, American Eagle, America West, Continental Airlines, Continental Express, Delta Airlines, Delta Connection, jetBlue, Northwest Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United Express and US Airways to:

ATL, AUS, BWI, BOS, CHS, CLT, MDW, ORD, CVG, CLE, DFW, DTW, FLL, BDL, HOU, IND, LAS, LAX, LGW, MEM, MIA, MSP, BNA, EWR, MSY, JFK, LGA, ORF, MCO, PHL, PHX, PIT, STL, SLC, TPA, YYZ, DCA and IAD.

Time to spare.....fly service air.

The space available program in Canada was called Pri(Priority) 5, and was in place on both Air Force and civilian aircraft. I used it three times, twice one-way between Gatwick and Lahr, FRG (near Strasbourg, Fr) and once on a flight that was continuing on home from CFB Ottawa to CFB Trenton (I was the only pax in a 170 seat 707). I know people that were lucky, but I also know people that got burned because they could not get home on a return flight in their allotted leave time, and had to buy a one way commercial ticket at the last moment, pricey if you are talking FRA-YYZ. So I always flew commercial to Europe.
    ________
    Hemp marijuana

Comment

Working...
    X