• LHR-PNG-KUL-SYD- Part One

Please excuse if too long

Flight MH 007
    Departure: London Heathrow, UK
    Arrival : Penang , Malaysia
    Aircraft: B747-400
    Cabin: Economy
    Departure: 18:00 (27th Dec 03)

Arrived at LHR and headed straight for the Malaysia Airlines check in desk, located in terminal 3. The whole terminal was jam packed with people checking in for flights. I was travelling with a group of 8 other people, so we all checked in together. However, I was quietly informed that they have overbooked the flight and would I be happy with being upgraded to Goldern Club Class on the London-Penang-Kuala Lumpur flight? Was this guy joking?? Yeah! I wouldn't mind one bit!
    The prospect of spending 15 hours in cattle class was fading, and the thought of champagne and, quite literally, the high life awaited me!

Unfortunatley, entrance to the Lounges were not possible, so at boarding, I said goodbye to my friends and entered the aircraft. Members of the cabin crew rushed to take my coat and store my carry on baggage.
    I sat down, taking in my surroundings. The flight was pretty full. I picked up my menu which was placed in the pocket infront of me. On offer was lambd in red wine sauce, chicken satay for starters and an array of desserts and beverages.
    A member of the cabin crew offered me a drink from a silver tray. I chose the papaya drink which was quite nice.
    Soon enough we were taxiing to the runway. I could see a Lufthansa 747-400 parkde up (D-ABTE) which I thought was strange- what was a LH 747 doing in London?
    We turned onto the runway and made an impressive take off, climbing over London and banking slowly.

Around 10 minutes later the cabin crew started checking passengers' Drinks' requests. I chose champagne with orange juice and a nice white wine for my dinner. I switched my IFE on (activated through a remote located in the right of the seat) and started checking out the films I would be watching.
    Soon the cabin crew were serving dinner- preparing our tray tables with table cloths, proper cutlery , napkins and salt and pepper pots. The chicken satay for starters was very nice and I hear is a speciality of Malaysia Airlines.
    Dinner was also nice, however, not as nice as I thought it would be.

After dinner I couldn't resist in going to see my friends in economy. Making the trip down to their seats was quite an experience. I'd almost forgotten how crammed in Y passengers are in 747s. I asked what they'd had for dinner.. how it was etc. They weren't impressed! My girlfriend, who was in Economy said I should let her come and stay with me.
    However, there were no other seats in J class and I was no way going to give up my prestigious seat!

Instead, she joined me, perched on my seat arm rest. I made sure the FAs got her some wine (which they did).

Then she said she was going to sleep and went off.

I'm not a good sleeper on flights, and this was no exception. I spent the flight walking round the aircraft and returning to my seat.

The FAs passed through the cabin topping up everyone's water glasses.

Soon enough it was daylight.We were commencing our descent into Penang, and after a nice breakfast of croissants, fresh fruit and cereals, not to mention chicken in spicy sauce with fried veggies and another glass of champagne I went to the toilet and had a shave and sat back down.

Descending into Penang was amazing- very tropical and clear blue waters.
    The cabin crew handed out our coats and jackets and I made sure I packed my complimentary amenity pack (offered shortly after departure).

The landing in Penang was very smooth and after a short taxi we arrived and docked. I met up with my friends, who regailed me withj tales of their uncomfortable journey.
    I felt veryguilty and I'm sure some are still harbouring secret resentment.

However, in a few hours we were boarding again for out 40 minute flight to Kuala Lumpur.

Some passengers had left at Penang, meaning the Business class cabin was almost empty. I asked the FA to seat my girlfriend next to me and she apologised and refused.
    I managed to get a window seat and felt like sleeping.
    After take off , however, the flight attendants quickly served lunch (Delicious Tuna Roll) with tea and cakes.

Landing into KUL was Ok. All in all, a very good flight(S). Very pleased wiht MH J class.

My Economy flight was yet to begin though!
    Click Here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

Great Report So Far! I want to read the other parts now!

Patrick

Next Flights:

October 14, 2006 - Airtran MDW-MSP
    October 16, 2006 - Airtran MSP-MDW

Comment

I liked part 1 and now will read part 2. So far I'm enjoying your trip report!

Comment

Working...
      X