B-52, F-117 added to the chopping block

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B-52, F-117 added to the chopping block

"The Defense Department plans to accelerate retirement of key Air Force aircraft, including nearly half the B-52 bomber force and the full U-2 spy plane and F-117 stealth fighter fleets, in a bid to save $2.6 billion and boost spending for the services' prized F-22A fighter aircraft program"

Full Story

Whats your thoughts?

Why get rid of the F117?

Comment

I know, seems still way to early to start removing the F-117. I can see the U-2, and even downsizing the Buffs, but not the Woblin Gobblin

Comment

So, they want to get rid of the plane that has been their most usefull weapon in every war the US has been in in over 2 decades? Brilliant, just brilliant.

Comment

U2s
          For : excellent manned reco aircraft
          Against : new stage UAV can do most of the job. Another bia : it can be vulnerable.
          Verdict : should keep them anyway. Robots won't never replace mankind especially on delicate missions
          B52s
          For : like the U2s, also an old bird which has made her proofs and still does by faring better than the much newer B1 Lancer.
          Against : terrible fuel burner, terrible incured operational costs starting with maintenance
          Verdict : Re-engine the survivors
          F.117
          For : nothing
          Against : Everything
          Verdict : It's ugly, it's slow, it can be detected and when so, it can be downed. Should be the first to go to allow some time in pondering to how to find a new job for the Buffs and U2s.
          Alain
          Thanks for visiting
          *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
          *JetPhotos*
          Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

Originally posted by Top_Gun
            I know, seems still way to early to start removing the F-117. I can see the U-2, and even downsizing the Buffs, but not the Woblin Gobblin
            Woblin' Gobblin' sounds cool

Comment

Well the Woblin Gobblin has been around for 25 years now

Comment

Originally posted by uy707
                F.117
                For : nothing
                Against : Everything
                Verdict : It's ugly, it's slow, it can be detected and when so, it can be downed. Should be the first to go to allow some time in pondering to how to find a new job for the Buffs and U2s.
                Alain
                I don't think the USAF and US Government take looks into consideration . But all the ugliness in the F-117 is for a reason.
                On another note, the breakup of B-52's isn't any new thing. I remember seeing a mid 90's cover story in Air+Space about the destruction of the BUFFs.

Comment

^The B52s which were axed in the 90's are early A to F(I guess) models, which would have cost probably too much to be retrofitted and set to G & H standards. Recently NASA took up a H to replace an early D or E.
                  Alain
                  Thanks for visiting
                  *JetPhotos*
                  Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

Originally posted by uy707
                    ^The B52s which were axed in the 90's are early A to F(I guess) models, which would have cost probably too much to be retrofitted and set to G & H standards. Recently NASA took up a H to replace an early D or E.
                    Alain
                    The B52 has done an awsome job in its role, but i guess everything will have to come to an end. The B1B can carry a bigger payload and is alot faster then the BUFF. So time for the lancer to take number 1 spot.

Comment

Originally posted by YYZPICS
                      The B52 has done an awsome job in its role, but i guess everything will have to come to an end.
                      To true, especially at an average age of 44 years.
                      Originally posted by YYZPICS
                      So time for the lancer to take number 1 spot.
                      About time, considering that many of the B1Bs are already 20+ years old as well.

Comment

On the other hand with proper maintenance and regular updates, they can be kept in air for very long, since they fly much less than an airliner. Recently I read a 46 year old Mirage III still in use at Cazeaux AFB until retirement days ago just boasts 1,800 hours or so in the clock ...
                        As for the B1B superceeding Buff, I rather figure the Lancer to be kept on line alongside as she has been still looking taking over since the first ...... blueprints.
                        Alain
                        Thanks for visiting
                        *JetPhotos*
                        Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

The F-117A sucks, why it has a "F" designation? It is NOT a fighter it is a ground atack aircraft. It's slow not as menuvereble as other fighters (even some ground atack aircraft handles like a fighter). Easy targets for fighter jets with a powerfull radar. Poor self-defence. Even the A-7 has AIM-9 Sidewinders for self-defence. Herd of the F-117A shot down over Serbia? They use old long-waveline radars. And the one that is damaged but managed to land?
                          Irfan Faiz Nazerollnizam. Computer geek and gamer

Comment

Originally posted by fjki98
                            The F-117A sucks, why it has a "F" designation?
                            I take it from that you work for the USAF?
                            It is NOT a fighter it is a ground atack aircraft. It's slow not as menuvereble as other fighters (even some ground atack aircraft handles like a fighter).
                            So you also know exactly how the F-117 compares against other planes, I'm impressed. And obviously, going only Mach 1 means it is terribly slow.
                            Easy targets for fighter jets with a powerfull radar.
                            Yeah, all those Serbian and Iraqi fighters sure had powerful radars, wow. Not to mention the whole stealth thing must be totally useless, too.
                            Poor self-defence. Even the A-7 has AIM-9 Sidewinders for self-defence.
                            Yeah, I believe the lack of self-defence is the exact reason why the US has so heavily relied on the F-117s.
                            Herd of the F-117A shot down over Serbia?
                            I only heard of a F-117 shot down, didn't know that a whole herd was shot down, wow, thanks for the news.

Comment

Hm, replacing the F-117 makes sense. TheF-22A is said to have a comparable low RCS and with the SDB it is also able to carry a meaningfull payload even better then the 2 bombs a F-117 can carry. In addition the F-22 is faster and is clearly able to dfend itself against enemy fighters.
                              On the other hand the US still has not many Stealth assets and the F-117 are still not that old.

Replacing the U-2 with an UAV. Yes, the U-2 canīt overfly any meaningfull air defensese any more and just loitering behind the FOB is something an UAV can do better. Especially as the U-2 is practically a UAV, when it comes to data processing.

Replacing the BUFF. No way, you need a wing of F-22 to carry the same bombload as a B-52 flight. In a low to medium threat enviroment there is nothing for BAI like a B-52 flight. Especially as some B-52 are being converted to EB-52 standard, giving them a niche stand-off jamming capability as well.
                              The B1 costs as much to maintain, has a even worse service ability rate, has still some bugs and carries less payload over less range. If a bomber is to go, then it is the B1.

Comment

Working...
                              X