Military pilots "hot-dogging".

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Military pilots "hot-dogging".

Why is it that it seems like military pilots are more likely to show off and do things that are dangerous than other pilots. Obviously I know why airliner pilots don't do the things they do, but like GA pilots and stuff don't do it. It seems like I've heard of more military planes crashing after the pilots were hot dogging. I'm not saying military pilots are bad or irresponsible, but why are they more likely to do this?
    I hope that made atleast a little bit of sense.

ehhh you got the equipment, why not? (as long as its safe of course)

Comment

ehhm okeeey, "interesting" question to say at least. Some quick ideas: maybe due to the fact that fighter jets are built to perform such maneuvres which could be needed in a dogfight and it is part of the pilots job...or maybe because they dont have hundreds of pax sitting behind them...and I guess its fun as well.
      greetings,
      Philip

Comment

how about giving some more information?

What are you considering "hot dogging"? It's a well known fact that Fighter Pilots are cocky and should be. I don't consider a pilot who does some fast fly by's prior to landing showing off, yet other people do because they had the sound of jets.

That Prowler that climbed the gondalo cable some years back was hot dogging.

How about not being so bland in your description.

Comment

Originally posted by Top_Gun

That Prowler that climbed the gondalo cable some years back was hot dogging.
          True! I guess you mean the Cavalese (IT) accident, that sucked.
          greetings,
          Philip

Comment

Originally posted by JordanD
            Why is it that it seems like military pilots are more likely to show off and do things that are dangerous than other pilots.

BECAUSE THEY CAN..................
            RobB

Comment

Because they are cocky... AND THEY SHOULD BE!!! They are some of the most skilled, and best trained pilots in the world!!!!!

Comment

The Navy term for hot dogging is "flathatting." And it can get you killed. Period. And if you get caught doing it and don't fly into the side of a mountain, it might cost you your wings.

I suspect that the reason you see as much flathatting as you do, is that military aviation is highly competitive (hard to get in to) and gives a lot of responsibility to pilots at an early age and with relatively little experience. Some people go do something stupid sometimes.

BTW, a good read is the "Grandpa Pettibone" column in Naval Aviation News...

Comment

Can you say desk job

Comment

Example of a (late) flathatter: http://www.history.navy.mil/nan/gram...rom%20nd90.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by YYZPICS
                      Can you say desk job
                      that picture's been around the web for so long I can't remember the story behind it.

You see alot of fly bys when the aircraft are coming back to the ship. I know I've seen some real footage of the aircraft screaming by the carrier with all the Vapor just pulling off and the deck hands going nuts.

Comment

Originally posted by YYZPICS
                        Can you say desk job
                        Thats Dale Snodgrass. One version of the story says he was grounded, but its wrong, it was a show put on for the sailors on the carrier.

he was the commanding officer of the VF-33 starfighters when that pic was taken IIRC, it was on an F-14 website.

Comment

While I was stationed at Malmstrom AFB in the early 90's, the ANG F-16 pilots would do transitions at the base before returning to GTF on the other side of town. On the last transition they would sometimes ask for permission for a slam dunk...go verticle at the end of the runway, level and make a right bank for approach to GTF. Maybe not showing off but I thought it was pretty cool.

This is a pretty good read also:
                          http://www.b-47.com/Stories/lappo/lappo.html

I met Captain John Lappo in Anchorage in 1995. He told me of the story before I found it on the web. Pretty cool guy to talk to.

Brad

Comment

Working...
                          X