USAF to spend $2bn on unmanned bomber

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Top_Gun
    tell that to the spouses and kids who lost "Daddy" in that cockpit.....

I can understand the "fun" factor, but loosing a life when technology can avoid that is the best way to go.(IMHO)
    You do have a good point but a manned aircraft are still more flexible than a UAV. AI just cannot match a human mind, and maybe it never will. Daddy could get killed crossing the street at Edwards going into the control room to "fly" a mission. Some risks are involved in everything, the crews and thier familys know that. If I had the chance to fly an A-10/F-22/B-52, I'd take it over a UAV in a secound. If aircrew were dieing every day, UAVs would make more sense, but it only takes one aircraft with smart bombs do destroy a target that took hundreds of B-17s/24 in WWII which put thousands of crew at risk. Less aircaft will be needed in a modern war and loss of life would not be bad at all...and I think if you assked most any pilot if they thought the risk was worth it theyd say yes.
    Just my opinion anyway...

Comment

Originally posted by seventwo
      Daddy could get killed crossing the street at Edwards going into the control room to "fly" a mission. Some risks are involved in everything, the crews and thier familys know that. If I had the chance to fly an A-10/F-22/B-52, I'd take it over a UAV in a secound.
      Ever flown in combat? If yes you might be worth taking seriously.

Comment

Ok, I take back what I said. Read the thread over and I guess I just said that without thinking much. From what I have heard combat flying is scary sh*t. My mistake...

Comment

As far as the unmanned revolution, I don't see why pilots see it competing with them. As a future professional pilot, I don't. Someone will need to manage them from the ground even if that means only checking up on it occasionally. Also, the FAA and other government agencies would never let an aircraft with passengers, no matter how fancy shmancy it's programming is, fly without a pilot onboard. Furthermore, there has to be someone to program the plane to do the stuff it does, a plane is not going to be able to figure out that it needs to fly from KPIT-KLAX at a certain time let alone know how to fly period until someone inputs the code that it follows. Case in point is modern launch technology, it's highly automated yet someone (mission control) monitors and occasionally controls it from the ground or in the case of manned space flight, has a pilot onboard to assist. In fact, I predict that within the next fifty years, pilots will become know as pilot/flight programmers. Besides, there will always be jobs for us on the final frontier which it is (my very far fetched) dream to go after test pilot school.

Comment

Working...
          X