Potential flaw found in F-22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potential flaw found in F-22

Lockheed Martin Corp.'s F-22A fighter jet may have a structural flaw that would require redesign or major modifications to most of the planes delivered to date, says Bill Young, chairman of a House defense panel.

Young, a Florida Republican who chairs a House subcommittee on defense spending, said he told Air Force Secretary Michael Wynne that he opposes buying any more of the $338 million planes until the problem is diagnosed and fixed.

The problem involves the aft fuselage, which comes from The Boeing Co., a major partner on the fighter jet. Boeing also supplies the wings for the F-22A. That Boeing work is done mostly at the company's Developmental Center across from Boeing Field in south Seattle.

Both the Air Force and Lockheed agree there's a potential flaw that must be investigated. The Air Force said flight safety is not at issue and no redesign or modification is necessary.

Young, in an interview, said the concern is that an engine casing made of titanium may not meet Air Force standards.

"There's been a specification deviation and they are evaluating it," he said.

"The engine casing is a significant part of the structure of the aircraft," Young said. "If it turns out that it's not being manufactured to specification it could be a serious issue but they don't know the answer yet."

Boeing subcontractors make the titanium parts.

The Air Force, in an e-mailed statement, said Lockheed, the world's largest defense contractor, discovered the "anomaly" in December, the same month the service declared the F-22A ready for combat.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/busine...ockheed16.html

Well, they sure found out about that flaw rather fast .

Comment

Originally posted by DAL767-400ER
      Well, they sure found out about that flaw rather fast .
      Atleast they'de discovered the flaw, before all these raptors are massproduced, that would be a disaster to the manufacturers !
      Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

I read on another forum from someone that works on the Raptor that this problem isn't as big as it sounds.

Lockheed Martin Corp.'s F-22A fighter jet may have a structural flaw that would require redesign or major modifications to most of the planes delivered to date, says Bill Young, chairman of a House defense panel.

We have overcome several foul-ups in the past regarding airframe strength/life issues. Several of them were much more serious than this "problem", so it is confusing that it is getting noticed. I am reluctant to be specific because it's touchy, and information can be misunderstood. I can say it has nothing to do with the engine, in spite of the inference of one of these statements. (See how the press can get things garbled.) I am confident it will be resolved without much impact. This guy Bill Young also knows this. He is fully briefed. I must conclude that he is just grandstanding to get his name in the media for some free publicity. I am thankfull he chose this issue because, as I said, it is not the worst setback. He must be running for re-election on the get tough with slimey government contractors ticket. It's a tried and true winner.

Comment

The most serious flaw, however, is that it's too expensive.

Comment

Rather too late that a flaw has be detected in the F-22A, it is now entering serv ice and this flaw has been detected too late... :rolleyes:
            Irfan Faiz Nazerollnizam. Computer geek and gamer

Comment

Originally posted by Irfan
              Rather too late that a flaw has be detected in the F-22A, it is now entering serv ice and this flaw has been detected too late... :rolleyes:
              Quick... Pull back down the production, and go back to the drawingboard !

Comment

Working...
              X