X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• screaming_emu
    replied
    Originally posted by PT737SWA
    Oh he probably hit them, but not with bombs. I actually bought him a stein from Hoffbrauhaus when I was there in '97.
    hey, maybe I bumped into you in Munich, I lived about an hour south of there from 95-2001 . You know the closest I ever got to the Hoffbrauhaus was actually just walking by it. Now the Lowenbrau Keller....that's an entirely different story

Leave a comment:

• FlyingPhotog
    replied
    Originally posted by screaming_emu
    so long as he didn't hit the beer halls in Munich, I have no beef with him
    Oh he probably hit them, but not with bombs. I actually bought him a stein from Hoffbrauhaus when I was there in '97.

Leave a comment:

• screaming_emu
    replied
    Originally posted by PT737SWA
    Oops, should be 69th birthday... Oh well. Anyway my Grandfather bombed the tar out of Munich & Berlin as a B17 navigator in the 8th Air Force.
    so long as he didn't hit the beer halls in Munich, I have no beef with him

Leave a comment:

• Messerschmitt Man
    replied
    Oooh sweeeeeet.

Leave a comment:

• seahawk
    replied
    Sorry, but I do not see how Guernica links to the birthday of the Luftwaffe. Legion Condor was not even a direct part of the Luftwaffe, which was formed earlier or later, whichever you count.

Modern days Luftwaffe (after WW2) is celebrating its 50th birthday this year however.

Leave a comment:

• DAL767-400ER
    replied
    Originally posted by herpa2003
    Congrats to our German friends and their top-notch air force! We may have been enemies only a few decades ago, but today the United States and Germany cooperate closely in military operations in order to better train and equip the soldiers of both of our nations. Happy 69th!
    Pah, if it was for equipping us, we'd be getting some nice F-18s or F-16s and not those crappy Eurofighters .

Leave a comment:

• Crunk415balla
    replied
    Congrats to them! They flew the first combat jet, and look how far the jets have gone since then.

Leave a comment:

• herpa2003
    replied
    Congrats to our German friends and their top-notch air force! We may have been enemies only a few decades ago, but today the United States and Germany cooperate closely in military operations in order to better train and equip the soldiers of both of our nations. Happy 69th!

Leave a comment:

• FlyingPhotog
    replied
    Oops, should be 69th birthday... Oh well. Anyway my Grandfather bombed the tar out of Munich & Berlin as a B17 navigator in the 8th Air Force.

Leave a comment:

• MaxPower
    replied
    Saluting the aviators. !

Leave a comment:

• DAL767-400ER
    replied
    Well, herzlichen Glückwunsch zum 70. Geburtstag, Luftwaffe. Sure have gone through quite some dark times, but most of the time it was bright times (if you don't mind the yearly cost cuts ).

Leave a comment:

• Star Alliance
    replied
    Well, the article isn't too flattering ( ), but
    Viel Geburtstag, Luftwaffe!!!

Leave a comment:

• FlyingPhotog
    started a topic Happy 70th Birthday Luftwaffe!

Happy 70th Birthday Luftwaffe!

April 26, 1937 -- Nazis test Luftwaffe on Guernica

During the Spanish Civil War, the German military tests its powerful new air force--the Luftwaffe--on the Basque town of Guernica in northern Spain.

Although the independence-minded Basque region opposed General Francisco Franco's Nationalist forces in the Spanish Civil War, Guernica itself was a small rural city of only 5,000 inhabitants that declared nonbelligerence in the conflict. With Franco's approval, the cutting-edge German aircraft began their unprovoked attack at 4:30 p.m., the busiest hour of the market day in Guernica. For three hours, the German planes poured down a continuous and unopposed rain of bombs and gunfire on the town and surrounding countryside. One-third of Guernica's 5,000 inhabitants were killed or wounded, and fires engulfed the city and burned for days.

The indiscriminate killing of civilians at Guernica aroused world opinion and became a symbol of fascist brutality. Unfortunately, by 1942, all major participants in World War II had adopted the bombing innovations developed by the Nazis at Guernica, and by the war's end, in 1945, millions of innocent civilians had perished under Allied and Axis air raids.

The HISTORY Channel - Geschichte erleben! The HISTORY Channel ist der deutschsprachige Pay-TV-Sender für spannende Dokumentationen und macht die Faszination von Menschen und Ereignissen täglich greifbar!
Working...
X