X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canada to beef up military budget

Canada to beef up military budget

Ottawa poised to confirm $5 billion deal for transports

Released on 2 May, the first budget by Canada’s new Conservative government is expected to provide a massive increase in defence spending to pay for both Boeing C-17 strategic and Lockheed Martin C-130J tactical transports.
    Local reports late last week suggested a compromise had been reached between chief of defence staff Gen Rick Hillier’s requirement to replace Canada’s deteriorating C-130Es, and defence minister Gordon O’Conner’s need to fulfil election campaign promises to buy strategic transports.

Boeing has made an offer for up to six C-17s, while Lockheed has presented a proposal for 16 C-130Js. A combined purchase could exceed $5 billion. In advance of the budget’s release, government officials were saying only that there would be a “substantial commitment” to the military.

Boeing is proposing a direct commercial sale of C-17s to Canada, with training and support to be provided through the US government’s foreign military sales system. This would allow the Canadian Forces to use the existing global support programme and pay a pro-rated share of the cost of supporting the worldwide C-17 fleet, says Tommy Dunehew, Boeing’s programme manager, international sales.

The US Air Force is prepared to give up production positions to allow early delivery to Canada, possibly of three aircraft in 2007 and three in 2008, says Dunehew. Australia’s first of up to four C-17s is scheduled to be delivered in December, the second in June next year and the remainder by mid-2008.

Canada is among several countries that have been given until June to commit to the C-17 or face higher prices once production for the USAF ends in 2008 at 180 aircraft. With US Congress debating funding seven more USAF C-17s, Boeing is looking for at least 13 foreign sales to keep production at around 15 a year.

Boeing wants to keep the C-17 line open until there is a decision on re-engining the USAF’s older Lockheed C-5As. A mobility capability study completed late last year concluded that 180 C-17s and 112 modernised C-5s were sufficient to meet USAF requirements, but a decision to upgrade the As will not be taken until after a re-engined aircraft has flown in 2009.

About time

Link

Great to read abuot that they have finally locked the deals. Looking good for customers and the supplier.

I hope they can boost the 15 a year to more.. Although some operations wont need that kind of aircraft. I mean, yeah Its advanced and all that but only a few can afford to these kinds of Heavy lifter.
    Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

Hot damn! It's about time is right. Now all we need to hear is the weak-kneed NDP and gutless Liberals complaining about it. I'm sure that is about to come.
      I've always said that Canada needs a strategic airlift unit, and I'm glad to see that it is coming. It's a wonder what the useless, gutless, soul-less, uncaring, fear mongering, septic-tank-water-drinking Liberals did for 13 frikin' years in power.

Thank you Stephen.
      My Flickr Pictures! Click Me!

Comment

Well before you go bad mouthing non-C parties, what about good ole Stephen? Did you know he's been hiding something from everyone? It's time to let everyone know that:

"Stephen Harper Eats Babies"

Now everyone understands why he wants to scrap the daycare program

Comment

Its about time! Now if only they could commit to strengthening and updating the air defense fleet with something to compliment the CF-18!
          Canon 20D & BG-E2 Grip
          EF 50mm 1.4 USM
          EF-S 18-55mm
          EF 28-135mm IS USM
          EF 70-200mm f4L
          EF 100-400L IS
          1.4X II Teleconverter
          Canon 420EX Speedlite
          Canon 430EX Speedlite
          Manfrotto Tripod and Monopod

David Wilson | Through the Fence Photography

Comment

Originally posted by medic1
            Its about time! Now if only they could commit to strengthening and updating the air defense fleet with something to compliment the CF-18!
            Yea, I would perfer to see another fighter in our fleet, but will only see something new when the CF-18's are replaced in 2018 by the F-35.

Comment

good to see Canada putting some money into their defense budget. I remember reading the USAFE Heavy Lift wing is asking for C-17s because of their aging C-130E's. They've actually had to cut back supply trips to Africa because it takes twice as many runs in their old Hercs compared to what the new C-17s can do.

Sounds like a nice run for Lockheed.

Does Canada have a Tanker fleet to refuel their aircraft in midair?

Comment

Originally posted by Top_Gun
                Does Canada have a Tanker fleet to refuel their aircraft in midair?
                Theres a few C-130's that are equipped to do this, but other then that, nothing.

Comment

Too little and probably too late IMHO> The CF is in terminal rustout, its people are tired and fed up, and the government keeps getting them involved in missions that they can not possibly sustain in the long run, let alone equip for the short. An immediate return to a manpower strength of 90000 regulars, up from the 55,000 of today is required; creepy Chretien and Benedict Martin should never have been allowed to gut the military the way they did, especially after Trudeau and company reduced it from 120,000 men in 1965. I wish Harper and company well but I have heard this all before from Conservative pols-remember Perrin Beatty and his nuclear subs??!!

Comment

Originally posted by a78jumper
                    Too little and probably too late IMHO> The CF is in terminal rustout, its people are tired and fed up, and the government keeps getting them involved in missions that they can not possibly sustain in the long run, let alone equip for the short. An immediate return to a manpower strength of 90000 regulars, up from the 55,000 of today is required; creepy Chretien and Benedict Martin should never have been allowed to gut the military the way they did, especially after Trudeau and company reduced it from 120,000 men in 1965. I wish Harper and company well but I have heard this all before from Conservative pols-remember Perrin Beatty and his nuclear subs??!!
                    Well, I have looked at the Mulroney era and this one, and I can tell you that they are two different groups. Mulroney was dealing with a country that was massively in debt when the communist Trudeau left office. There was a hell of a fight to gain control over spending, but to no avail. It was a turbulent time in the world, the Soviet Union was coming to an end, there was a looming recession at the end of the decade. However, the economic plans that he had negotiated with the US and Mex. gave us the boom that happened during the mid to late 90's, and we are still seeing that to this day.

With this conservative government, we are in a time when the economy is good, the budget is flush with money and we have the economic means to bolster the military. I think we will see growth in the military in the forms of new equipment and a slight growth. Canada is looking to make a smaller more agile military, rather than the large cold war style.

Comment

We can only hope they will pay the troops more so they don't have to take their families to the foodbanks.

Comment

Originally posted by ptbodale
                        We can only hope they will pay thr troops more so they don't have to take their families to the foodbanks.
                        There was a pay raise awhile back. But I can foresee more in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Cameron
                          Canada is looking to make a smaller more agile military, rather than the large cold war style.
                          Problem is that the manpower levels during the cold war were not "large" by any stretch of the imagination, and then Martin and Chretien downsized the organization out of operational effectiveness. This goes to explain why I(and almost 400 others) deployed to Kabul as a civilian on Rotation 0 in the middle of a war zone in 03/04; the military, especially the support trades, had been gutted to the point that they could not deploy without contractors. So I spend a year essentially doing what I did for 20 others in uniform, except I did not carry a rifle, and wore blue jeans to work instead of combats.
                          I despise most Liberals for what they have done for this country, I just do not believe that Harper is going to be able to do much more, especially given his minority status.

Hedy Fry for Liberal leader!!!! We deserve her after Martin!

Comment

Originally posted by a78jumper
                            I despise most Liberals for what they have done for this country, I just do not believe that Harper is going to be able to do much more, especially given his minority status.

Hedy Fry for Liberal leader!!!! We deserve her after Martin!
                            Very true about the minority status. It is a tricky time for a government in this situate. Especially when you have the NDP whining about child care and social programs for 10% of the population. The Liberals, they had 13 years to fix things...time's up. The Conservatives will be...well conservative with the pocket book, because the government could fall at any time and we will be back to an election. Given time, and hopefully a majority in the future, we will then see more of the platform coming to light. Until then it will be baby steps.

Politics is a game, government is work.

Comment

Working...
                            X