Last C-141 retired

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last C-141 retired

WRIGHT-PATTERSON AFB, Ohio, May 6 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- The U.S. Air Force retired the last Lockheed Martin (NYSE: LMT - News) C-141 StarLifter airlifter to the National Museum of the United States Air Force in ceremonies here this morning, closing out the transport's 43-year career.

The C-141 was the world's first turbofan-powered transport and it served as a major component of the U.S. strategic airlift force since it entered operational service in 1965. The aircraft recorded more than 10.6 million operational hours in over four decades of service.

More here: http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/060506/dasa001.html?.v=7

Stand up and be proud Lockheed your plane has served this great nation to its fullest. Today is a proud day in the history of the USAF not a said one.

Comment

Shame...I was forunate enough to be able to have flown on the C-141 twice; noisy airplane but fun as hell!
      Fly Raleigh-Durham International, with direct flights on Air Canada, AirTran, American Airlines, American Eagle, America West, Continental Airlines, Continental Express, Delta Airlines, Delta Connection, jetBlue, Northwest Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United Express and US Airways to:

ATL, AUS, BWI, BOS, CHS, CLT, MDW, ORD, CVG, CLE, DFW, DTW, FLL, BDL, HOU, IND, LAS, LAX, LGW, MEM, MIA, MSP, BNA, EWR, MSY, JFK, LGA, ORF, MCO, PHL, PHX, PIT, STL, SLC, TPA, YYZ, DCA and IAD.

Comment

Luckily for you guys get a chance to ride on that thing. Are some sold/given/donated to museums ??
        Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

Originally posted by MaxPower
          Luckily for you guys get a chance to ride on that thing. Are some sold/given/donated to museums ??
          From the article:

"After several weeks of preparation and preservation, the Hanoi Taxi will go on public display this summer in the museum's outdoor airpark. Counting the Hanoi Taxi, a total of 13 StarLifters are preserved as static displays at bases where the aircraft were formerly stationed or in museums around the country."

Comment

That is so great. Thanks.

What is exactly a static display ? Are they only shown on the ground and does it include a demo ?

Oh btw Sorry I skipped the the link. I only read your first post.

Comment

Originally posted by MaxPower
              What is exactly a static display ? Are they only shown on the ground and does it include a demo ?
              Second definition listed of "static" from the Webster's New World Dictionary:

"at rest; inactive"

Comment

That sucks that its gone. I have never been in one but I used see them all the time refueling over my old house in NJ all the time.

http://www.youtube.com/DC3Vette - playing guitar

Comment

I remember seeing the Hanoi Taxi at Westover AFB in 2004. The C-141 is a damn fine looking airplane, to bad its replacement lacks in that department. REAL airplanes make smoke and noise!

Comment

Well, their history was not quite as long as the B-52 , but it certainly did its job very well.

Comment

We salute the last Starlifter. Was a really good workhorse to the USAF.. :clap.

Comment

I never had the pleasure of riding in one, but I did get a chance to tour the Hanoi Taxi the 2 times she came to New Orleans durring my tour down there. I do agree though, only real airplanes make lots of smoke and noise.
                        "I use mulit-billion dollar military satellite systems to find tupperware in the woods."

Comment

I was reading in the paper yesterday how they were taking up the POW's this plane, and the other 141's rescued from NAM.

I was able to see her at Nellis last year, didn't know everything she'd done when I saw her there last year. Lucky I was able to capture a few shots for memories.
                          Last edited by Top_Gun; 2009-03-03, 03:06.

Comment

^Whats the reg on this one 60177 ???

I want to find out what is that grey area just over the cockpit ? Is this part of the refueling, I dont know what you call it , Hmmm Reciever ?

Comment

the raised part on the top is where the boom plugs in in to refuel.

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/c141-1_300.jpg

66-0177/300-6203
                              356th AS

Comment

Working...
                              X