Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F-14 tail washes up on Irish shores

US Navy jet tail fin washes up on Irish shores

THERE’S nothing quite like the roar of waves crashing on the beach to wipe away the cobwebs — unless it happens to be the scream of a US Navy F-14 Tomcat overhead.

Whichever was loudest appears to have masked the moment a piece of combat aviation history fell to earth recently and ended up on a beach in west Cork.

An investigation was underway last night after what is believed to be a large part of the structure of the US Navy fighter jet was found washed up yesterday by a retired Aer Lingus pilot.

Full Story

Very interesting!

And whats weirder is that squadron was decommissioned in september, and hasnt used that tail logo for years!

Comment

Thats pretty weird. Wasnt this missing like 2 or 3 years ago? I dont actually recall where it was missing but.. it could be that one though..

Anyhow its kinda amazing it was washed away all the way to Ireland.
      Last edited by MaxPower; 2006-05-09, 20:43.
      Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

I wonder if they get to keep it?
        My Flickr Pictures! Click Me!

Comment

Originally posted by Cameron
          The authorities might be the one who's keeping it. Its not just any finder's keeper here. Although there's some good chances that it will get back to the states eventually.

Comment

^And end up in some local air museum.
            Alain
            Thanks for visiting
            *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
            *JetPhotos*
            Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

That would be ...or.... right...?

Originally posted by uy707
              ^And end up in some local air museum.
              Alain
              Yeah well most likely...

Comment

from the above thread, the plane crashed off the Key West NAS over 3 years ago.

Initially, it was feared that the tail fin had fallen off during a flight, until the Navy confirmed that markings on the section – including squadron insignia and a serial number – pointed to the jet that crashed off Florida on Oct. 3, 2002.

Shame the finder can't keep that rudder, would make a great wall mount

Comment

Originally posted by Cam

Is it not like road kill? In Ontario you get to keep the deer or moose (whatever) after you hit and kill it. That is if it didn't kill you first!

That piece would look nice all cleaned up and on the wall in the rec room.

Comment

^^ Indeed would be awesome.

*Maybe if you were the one who found and hailed it in from the beach. Dragged it to your house.

Title under the piece * I founded it, Dragged it and hanged it*

Comment

do you think they would believe it's drift wood, instead of a drift wing?

Comment

Working...
                      X