Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Venezuela May Sell F-16s to Iran

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Venezuela May Sell F-16s to Iran

    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12818045/

    CARACAS, Venezuela - Venezuela is considering selling its fleet of U.S.-made F-16 fighter jets to another country, perhaps Iran, in response to a U.S. ban on arms sales to President Hugo Chavez’s government, a military official said Tuesday.

    Gen. Alberto Muller, a senior adviser to Chavez, told The Associated Press he had recommended to the defense minister that Venezuela consider selling the 21 jets to another country.

    Muller said he thought it was worthwhile to consider “the feasibility of a negotiation with Iran for the sale of those planes.”

    Even before the U.S. announced the ban on arms sales Monday, Washington had stopped selling Venezuela sensitive upgrades for the F-16s.

    Chavez has previously warned he could share the U.S. jets with Cuba if Washington does not supply parts for the planes. He also has said he may look into buying fighter jets from Russia or China instead.
    Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog


  • #2
    Hey Paul. I think that sounds reasonable enough. Regarding the warnnigs being given to the US, because of the bans, I think thats understandable since they are just striking back . My question back to this is : Could these sales lead to more ban at Venezuela and will US back down of the warnings.. We can expect longterm ban in definite to one of them or say , Ven-Zuela. So if indeed the Iranians really got these Falcons, Could they opposed as a threat to the US too ?
    Inactive from May 1 2009.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by MaxPower
      Hey Paul. I think that sounds reasonable enough. Regarding the warnnigs being given to the US, because of the bans, I think thats understandable since they are just striking back . My question back to this is : Could these sales lead to more ban at Venezuela and will US back down of the warnings.. We can expect longterm ban in definite to one of them or say , Ven-Zuela. So if indeed the Iranians really got these Falcons, Could they opposed as a threat to the US too ?
      I think these jets could definitely be used against the US, (at least over Iranian soil) if we were to invade against the nuclear threat. Of course, the US could "neutralize" the threat (long-range missiles/bomms) before Iran has a chance to take to the skies.
      Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

      Comment


      • #4
        Lets pray it wont ever happen to this ....

        Originally posted by PT737SWA
        I think these jets could definitely be used against the US, (at least over Iranian soil) if we were to invade against the nuclear threat. Of course, the US could "neutralize" the threat (long-range missiles/bomms) before Iran has a chance to take to the skies.
        Lets just face the facts. Whatever happens if such kind of nuclear attacks were to fly towards the US, everybody will be doomed. I just cant imagine the magnitude of souls lost, because one country invaded another country. If there were to be a nuclear attack between these two. Everbody is fvcked ! You and me both !
        Inactive from May 1 2009.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by MaxPower
          Lets just face the facts. Whatever happens if such kind of nuclear attacks were to fly towards the US, everybody will be doomed. I just cant imagine the magnitude of souls lost, because one country invaded another country. If there were to be a nuclear attack between these two. Everbody is fvcked ! You and me both !
          I don't think the US will ever let Iran get as far as actually building a working Nuclear weapon. As of right now they barely have enriched uranium. They're still a LONG way from having a weapon that can reach US soil.
          Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by PT737SWA
            I don't think the US will ever let Iran get as far as actually building a working Nuclear weapon. As of right now they barely have enriched uranium. They're still a LONG way from having a weapon that can reach US soil.
            But dont you admit that they are a real threat to the US ? We dont know what they are capable of. I mean they could if they wanted it, bomb a US property or whatever just to provoke the US. Ignorance is the mother of fvck ups. In the bottom end, Im afraid they are capable of doing more than so.. But good g-d I hope not.
            Inactive from May 1 2009.

            Comment


            • #7
              If they do this, they will likely be used against us as we likely will be going to Iran.
              sigpic
              http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by PT737SWA
                http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12818045/
                Chavez has previously warned he could share the U.S. jets with Cuba if Washington does not supply parts for the planes. He also has said he may look into buying fighter jets from Russia or China instead.

                There was a White House speaker who stated the agreement was that they couldn't sell the Jets to a 3rd party without the approval of the US. Which I doubt would happen....

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Top_Gun
                  There was a White House speaker who stated the agreement was that they couldn't sell the Jets to a 3rd party without the approval of the US. Which I doubt would happen....
                  I dont think VenZuela agree to that, in the matter of facts. I think they could care less abuot what the agreements was about. They will sell eventually if US doesnt stop. What can US do about it ?
                  Inactive from May 1 2009.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I really don't understand why the US sells weapons to others. It seems kind of a bad idea to sell your best weapons to people who might turn around and use them against you. Unless I guess if you make sure that the version you sell them is inferior to what you have yourself.
                    Can anyone explain why this is done?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      ^^ What's the threat in that ? Sure if the iranians get these, the US wont be there to supply the planes with the best hardware that are being used by the USAF.Unless there's a third party building those sensitive hardware which I highly doubt there is. Although this is already occuring, keeping it off from the VenZuelas.

                      @ Paul, Look at it this way. You may got the same like us, but ours would still be better and more superior then your "copies"
                      Inactive from May 1 2009.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        You guys have F-22s, wheres the threat?
                        Sam Rudge
                        A 5D3, some Canon lenses, the Sigma L and a flash

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by MaxPower
                          I dont think VenZuela agree to that, in the matter of facts. I think they could care less abuot what the agreements was about. They will sell eventually if US doesnt stop. What can US do about it ?
                          I think it comes down to more of Export agreements. If they don't hold to their agreement, why would other countries help them. We would stop taking in anything from Venzuela which would hurt them ecconomically.

                          From this link, these F-16s are the old A models and really don't have much to offer. We stopped sending any updates to them, and if they were sold to Iran, they wouldn't be able to do much with them.

                          http://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htp.../20060517.aspx

                          And as already mentioned, the F-22's and F-15s would have no problem taking these down if it ever came to that because of the Vipers have such old radar systems they wouldn't stand a chanec

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Reading the link provided by Dave, I understand that these F16's hasnt got any values worth enough for use by IRAN. Indeed a logical headache to its new owners.

                            Thanks dave !
                            Inactive from May 1 2009.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              They could park these F-16's right next to the F-14's they have. The F-16's would be useless in about 6 months without the necessary spare parts to keep them in the air, just like their F-14's.
                              Wayne Dippold

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X