• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C-5M Super Galaxy

Lockheed Martin

Lockheed Martin Unveils 'Super Galaxy' Transport
    Wed, 17 May '06

Say Hello To The C-5M
    It's cheaper... more capable, and more dependable. That's what Lockheed-Martin says about the latest generation of C-5 Galaxy transports, the first of which was shown off at the company's plant in Marietta, GA this week.

Lockheed reports the C-5M "Super Galaxy", a modernized version of the venerable C-5, features new engines and new avionics. Its GE CF-6 engines -- developed in the commercial sector -- are capable of 22-percent more thrust, resulting in a 30-percent shorter takeoff roll and a 38-percent faster climb to initial altitude. Perhaps even more importantly... the Super Galaxy can carry a LOT more cargo.

The C-5 Avionics Modernization Program also adds an all-new cockpit, featuring a full glass-panel designed for all weather capabilities, and to take some of the workload off the flight crew.

"This C-5M is the first of a new fleet of C-5s that truly raises the bar -- capability is guaranteed, cost saving is guaranteed, and most importantly reliability is guaranteed," said Ralph D. Heath, executive vice president, Lockheed Martin and president, Lockheed Martin Aeronautics. "This aircraft represents a capability unique to the United States, and is an asset that truly defines 'global reach.' Today's C-5M takes a proven airframe and injects 21st century technology -- the result is a new era in strategic airlift."

The C-5 fleet, with more than 2 million flight hours, has been the backbone of strategic airlift in every military engagement from Vietnam through Operation Iraqi Freedom. With its estimated design-life of 40 years, the US Air Force estimates the next generation C-5 will save over $20 billion in future operations and support costs, while delivering over one million dollars' savings for every day of operation.

"The new capabilities brought to this aircraft assure that the strength of our country's strategic airlift capability continues unmatched into the future," said Heath. "As a cornerstone of our country's strategic airlift capability, the C-5 shapes national military objectives, provides combat power, humanitarian relief, natural disaster assistance and civil support where and when needed."

Over the next several years, Lockheed Martin will modernize 111 C-5s under a contract with the Air Force... which says it needs the planes as fast as Lockheed can build them.

"The bottom line is that we need these machines," said Gen. Norton Schwartz, United States Transportation Command Commander. "We need them re-engined and out of maintenance just as fast as possible. What you're doing is proving its worth: raising the C-5's mission-capable rate to our minimum goal of 75 percent. For me, 75 percent is the floor, not the ceiling."

Lockheed Martin's Avionics Modernization Program (AMP) and Reliability Enhancement and Re-engining (RERP) programs together yield a modernized C-5M. The RERP centerpiece is the new General Electric CF6-80C2 commercial engine.

Great. Hercs Down, KC-135's down, C-5's down, One more to Go : the BUFF's !!!!!!

Good luck with the C-5 SuGa
    Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

A good move has come true at last.
      Alain
      Thanks for visiting
      *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
      *JetPhotos*
      Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

How does this new C-5 compare to the C-17? Which is the better aircraft?
        My Flickr Pictures! Click Me!

Comment

Originally posted by Cam
          How does this new C-5 compare to the C-17? Which is the better aircraft?
          in what way?

I've heard the range on the C-17 sucks, but then again I've seen one land in about half of a 4,000 ft runway. Different aircraft for different missions I say. Man I'd like to see the improved flight deck on this thing though. I will miss the extremely distinctive C-5 whine though.

Comment

What kind of CF-6's are these engines and how much thrust added to increase its performance anyway ?

Edit: Disregard this post. = General Electric CF6-80C2 commercial engine.
            Last edited by MaxPower; 2006-05-18, 20:52.

Comment

Originally posted by screaming_emu
              I've seen one land in about half of a 4,000 ft runway.
              I saw a demonstration of that in Houston last fall. Freakin sweet!

Originally posted by MaxPower
              What kind of CF-6's are these engines and how much thrust added to increase its performance anyway ?
              It's all in the article...

"are capable of 22-percent more thrust, resulting in a 30-percent shorter takeoff roll and a 38-percent faster climb to initial altitude"
              Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Comment

Great new model, the name "Super Galaxy" is awsome.

Comment

Too all who knows about it, What is the purpose with the orange spike on its nose ? Im only aware of it that it's part on new testings and all that, but thats about it. And why the colour of orange ?

Comment

awesome name for an awesome plane

Comment

Too all who knows about it, What is the purpose with the orange spike on its nose ? Im only aware of it that it's part on new testings and all that, but thats about it. And why the colour of orange ?
                      I believe it's a pitot tube to get readings. Most test aircraft have these funky tubes coming out of the nose during testing. Not sure of the reason for it to be orange. It's not like someone is going to walk into a Pitot tube of a C-5

Originally posted by screaming_emu
                      I've heard the range on the C-17 sucks, but then again I've seen one land in about half of a 4,000 ft runway. I will miss the extremely distinctive C-5 whine though.
                      “One C-17 would have saved us from using four C-130s,” Colonel Bossert said. “And that one C-17 could have done in one week what the four C-130s did in about two and half weeks.”

from what I read on the US Military site, the C-17 has great range. The USAFE is currently using C-130E's which are so old most of them have wing structer problems. The commander in charge of the ARW for USAFE wants to replace their Hercs with C-17s. They've had to cancel relief trips because of the lack of good carriers.

Then you have Canada getting some C-17s, so I wouldn't think they could waist money on an aircraft that has lousy range.

I love the distinctive C-5 sound, had one in here last night that I missed.

Comment

From what I have researched, The range of the galaxies is farther then the globemasters...

Comment

From what I have researched, The range of the galaxies is farther then the globemasters...
                          And Galaxies look a hell of a lot better!

Comment

C-5A
                            5,940 miles (5,165 nautical miles) empty

C-17
                            5,200 nautical miles empty

www.fas.org & www.af.mil

that appears pretty close but that info could be old

Comment

Originally posted by seventwo
                              And Galaxies look a hell of a lot better!
                              And definitely whines better too.

Turn on the volumes on these two.

http://www.flightlevel350.com/video_...ng.php?id=4869

http://www.flightlevel350.com/video_...ng.php?id=3770

Originally posted by Top_Gun
                              C-5A
                              5,940 miles (5,165 nautical miles) empty

C-17
                              5,200 nautical miles empty

that appears pretty close but that info could be old
                              According to www.af.mil

The C-5 has 6,320 nautical miles (empty)

Source: http://www.af.mil/factsheets/factsheet.asp?fsID=84

Comment

Working...
                              X