Italy - Navy AV-8B Harrier II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Italy - Navy AV-8B Harrier II

Great show.. Btw I wonder how they make the smokey exhaust during the stand still hover.. I havent seen it spitting it out that way that dark..

http://www.flightlevel350.com/video_...ng.php?id=4011
    Inactive from May 1 2009.

Originally posted by MaxPower
    Great show.. Btw I wonder how they make the smokey exhaust during the stand still hover.. I havent seen it spitting it out that way that dark..

http://www.flightlevel350.com/video_...ng.php?id=4011
    Beats me?
    My Flickr Pictures! Click Me!

Comment

^^...lol.....

Does any of our MiliPerts know anything about it.....

Comment

Not environment friendly thats for sure lol, dont really no, maybe just a little old?

Comment

Do they do somethin with the injection in there ?

Originally posted by YYZPICS
          Not environment friendly thats for sure lol, dont really no, maybe just a little old?
          If you notice the last part of it, I think its something they can turn on and off, as the "smokes" got darker after a few seconds.. Thats what Im wondering about. ...

Comment

Originally posted by MaxPower
            If you notice the last part of it, I think its something they can turn on and off, as the "smokes" got darker after a few seconds.. Thats what Im wondering about. ...
            Well I doubt theres a "switch", its just exhaust from the engine. He's just applying more power which in turn promotes the engines to work harder and pump out more "smoke" or w/e you wanna call it. they could just get some smoke canisters if they wanted some smoke

Comment

Okey, whether there's a swtich or not, its all cool....!!

*switch on smoke* checked !

Comment

my guess is it has to do with the amount of thrust? When I saw them at Nellis last year, you only really saw the dark smoke on the VTOL or when they were pulling out of a hover.

Comment

Cool.. Looks identical to me !

One more question regarding the same : Say if they used more thrust, thus more power on the engines, how in the world to they keep their aircrafts to stay at the same altitude, You saw it clearly when they added more thrust, yet they dont rise higher. ??

Comment

when they were level, and just turning in position, I didn't notice as much smoke but it was loud. The smoke only really appeared when they went to full power.
                    http://topgunphotography.milavia.net...lbum=13&page=4

I'm assuming its similar to when a B-52 take off. The engines smoke much more then, but when they pull back they don't smoke at all.

Maybe someone with some real experience can step in and straighten us out, mine is pure speculation

Comment

Nah, Its all fine... I understand it. ! So no need for that ! Thanks Dave !

Comment

The Harrier uses water injection to maximise power in the hover. My impression is, though I have not been able to verify it, that this is what causes the smoke.

Comment

Working...
                        X