Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats the main reason(s) for the A-10's engines.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats the main reason(s) for the A-10's engines.....

To be located where it is at its tail....

Some had commented that it doesn know what it wants to be and should be rated like Corporate-civil because the way the engines are located like a commercial rather then military....

And I kinda find those comments funny as obviously they dont know much of the real specs why it is located above, pratically I know a bit of the reasons but I have to see what you guys knows/thinks the reasons....
    Inactive from May 1 2009.

It might have some reasons. For example maybe it has to deal with it's wiegth - placing them at the tail will help the weigh to be equal in the front and back. Maybe due to some aerodynamic stuff or maybe they wouldn't fit under the wing. Just some guesses

Comment

Okey.. I dont know if I am right but my guess was that I think its located up and high and above the wing level is to avoid the engines svck in foreign items into it.
      But I think the weight distribution is also part of its location like you said, but we'll see what the other members tells us. I doubt we're wrong nor right either ...untill...a miliperts steps in.

Comment

If I was about to redisign this aircraft I would make those engines rotate so you can take off like helo and fly like a jet. Maybe that was the plan to make them rotate but then engineers gave up.

Comment

They are postined near the back of the A-10 to aviod being hit by enemy fire, the engines are also sheilded by some of the wing.

A-10's wont be attacking targats at 10k+, try like diving down to 1k , release and pull up.

Comment

Originally posted by YYZPICS
            They are postined near the back of the A-10 to aviod being hit by enemy fire, the engines are also sheilded by some of the wing.

Not as much as avoiding enemy fire, but if they do take a hit, if you have an F-15 and it blows and engine, more than likely something will blow into the other side. Plus the engines aren't protected by the wings. Look at this pic

The A-10 was built to run with one engine if the other takes a hit, same reason for the rudders being so far apart. It has 3 system back ups in case it looses hydraulics. The 3rd system is the old cables and pulleys.

Not sure if you remember the female A-10 pilot that flew her damaged hog home from battle just using the 3rd option..... I'm tryin to find her name and show the damage.

Just proves how tough the A-10 is!

Comment

The main reason for the placement of the engines is to allow for engine exhaust to pass over the aircraft's horizontal stabilizer and between the twin tails, which lowers the aircrafts heat signature.

Specs indicate that the engines are supposedly also partially shielded from AAA fire, but as Dave said they are still pretty open. I guess this theory would mainly depend on the angle of attack.
              Canon 20D & BG-E2 Grip
              EF 50mm 1.4 USM
              EF-S 18-55mm
              EF 28-135mm IS USM
              EF 70-200mm f4L
              EF 100-400L IS
              1.4X II Teleconverter
              Canon 420EX Speedlite
              Canon 430EX Speedlite
              Manfrotto Tripod and Monopod

David Wilson | Through the Fence Photography

Comment

Originally posted by medic1
                I guess this theory would mainly depend on the angle of attack.
                Yea thats what im talking about, I know the engines arent covered by the wings, but when dive bombing, the engines wont be as vournable like they would be if there were just hanging off the wings.

Comment

Many thanks guys for your replies. I got all the answers I needed. Big claps for all ya'll that did post in this thread .

Comment

Originally posted by YYZPICS
                    Yea thats what im talking about, I know the engines arent covered by the wings, but when dive bombing, the engines wont be as vournable like they would be if there were just hanging off the wings.
                    okay, I have to ask, what jet that does dive bombing has engines "hanging off it's wing"

Comment

Haha. That particular plane would be very vulnerable to flak or missiles ...

Comment

I worded it wrong...

Comment

If you put the engines on the wing, where would you put the bombs, on the tail?

FYI, did you know that the CRJ uses the same basic engine as the A-10?

Comment

^^ In what way is it basic, Joe ?

Comment

Originally posted by MaxPower
                              ^^ In what way is it basic, Joe ?
                              CRJ uses the CF34, A-10 uses the TF34. The CF34 is based off of the TF34, but I've been told that it really is almost exactlly the same engine. I would imagine that there are some differences in the accessory drive section of the engine as the aircraft have different needs as far as systems go.

Comment

Working...
                              X