Dover C-5 crash was pilot error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dover C-5 crash was pilot error

The accident investigation board determined the pilots and flight engineers did not properly configure, maneuver and power the aircraft during approach and landing

"-- The pilots and flight engineers continued to use the shut-down No. 2 engine’s throttle while leaving the fully-operational No. 3 engine in idle."

Fantastic.

source: http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123021742

Comment

Reminds me of the British Midland 737 crash where engine 1 had a vibration, they shut down #2 by mistake. #1 finally lost all capability so they tried to reach the airport by gliding. They came short, hitting an embankment short of the runway. It was on a "Seconds from Disaster" episode a while back.
      Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Comment

and out come the monday morning quarterbacks

Comment

Thats crazy. What were they thinking......???? !!!!
          Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

Originally posted by MaxPower
            Thats crazy. What were they thinking......???? !!!!
            I dunno, probably something like "whoa, apparently a thrust reverser is unlocked...if it deploys its going to make the airplane uncontrollable!"

Comment

Originally posted by screaming_emu
              I dunno, probably something like "whoa, apparently a thrust reverser is unlocked...if it deploys its going to make the airplane uncontrollable!"
              Thats good enough to me. !!
              Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

I'm not sure about the C-5, but I was told the C-17 has a safety where the thrust levers can't go to reverse until the wheels hit the ground.

It was changed because someone actually activated a reverser while in flight

Comment

Originally posted by Top_Gun
                  I'm not sure about the C-5, but I was told the C-17 has a safety where the thrust levers can't go to reverse until the wheels hit the ground.

It was changed because someone actually activated a reverser while in flight
                  so do almost all planes that I know about. Including the Lauda Air 767 that had one deploy in flight over Thailand in 1991. Thrust reverser deployed in flight and the aircraft descintagrated in flight killing 223 people

I know the CRJ has an emergency thrust reverser stow button for if it accidentally deploys in flight. I dont know a damn thing about the C-5s systems though.

Comment

so do almost all planes that I know about. Including the Lauda Air 767 that had one deploy in flight over Thailand in 1991. Thrust reverser deployed in flight and the aircraft descintagrated in flight killing 223 people

I know the CRJ has an emergency thrust reverser stow button for if it accidentally deploys in flight. I dont know a damn thing about the C-5s systems though.
                    Yes the rampant amout of 767 accidents with reversers which led to many systems being removed on first gen PW4000 engines on the 67, that would later be replaced.

C-5, well Its safe to say Dave that almost any commercial aircraft has this feature. But with lessons learned in the past, nothing is fail safe. Autothrottle has caused some accidents like that National Airlines DC-10 where the engine goes "oh kablamo" and shreds it self up in flight, all while thinking the autothrottle would make sure the turbine doesnt rev to high if one of the fuses popped (which its supposed to do).

If this accident happend to a commercial airliner, it sure as hell would not fly.
                    -Kevin

Comment

Working...
                    X